Which 5-30 is thinner at operating temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your operating temp?
wink.gif
Just look at the mfg datasheet for cSt @100degC number - the lower the number the thinner it might be, +/- 5%. From memory it would be edge by a goodly margin - but proper % di-ester/POE in the oil makes up for a lower viscosity around the piston skirt. Not saying edge is 20% ester base ...

Last edited:
10.3 PP, 9.8 EDGE Edge has one of the lowest 5w pumps around. 11KcP mrv at-35c, Now, Not saying it makes it great, just citing data. Ow should be better - but note a 60K cP allowed spec ceiling.

Originally Posted By: tphill
Which 5-30 is thinner at operating temp? PP 5w-30 or Castrol Edge 5w-30?

The oil with the lowest HTHS vis will have the lowest operating viscosity regardless of their KV100 spec's.
While we know PP's HTHS vis spec' is 3.1 cP, unfortunately Castrol doesn't publish the HTHS vis for their oils here in NA, so we don't know. But if I had to make an educated guess I'd say there's not much between in terms of operational viscosity.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
10.3 PP, 9.8 EDGE Edge has one of the lowest 5w pumps around. 11KcP mrv at-35c, Now, Not saying it makes it great, just citing data. Ow should be better - but note a 60K cP allowed spec ceiling.

Off topic, while a MRV of 11,000 cP is good (and I hate to brag but) it pales in comparison to Petro-Canada's syn 5W-30 with it's MRV @-35C of 9,649 cP and it still maintains a HTHS vis of 3.1 cP.

Originally Posted By: tphill
Which 5-30 is thinner at operating temp? PP 5w-30 or Castrol Edge 5w-30?

At operating temp, they should be the exact same thinness/thickness: 30W

Originally Posted By: fredjacksonsan
Except that 30W has a RANGE. Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 is on the lower end of 30 weight, almost a 20W.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Originally Posted By: fredjacksonsan
Except that 30W has a RANGE. Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 is on the lower end of 30 weight, almost a 20W.

On what information are you basing your assertion that 30w oils have a range? I'm using Bob's "Oil 101" information, for which he did a lot of research.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
GC is a heavy 30 weight while Edge is a light 30 weight, even both are made from BP

I also ask, where is the designation of "light 30w" or "heavy 30w" in anything we have seen about oil? On what information are you basing your statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back