Which .380 ?

I think we are close to falling into the classic bad advice of “little gun for the little lady”.

Little, lightweight guns are hard to shoot. You can bring the power of the cartridge down, but they still suffer from basic physics - lightweight equals more perceived recoil.

Better that she get a larger, heavier gun, along with the smaller caliber, to make it easier for her to shoot.

My wife, due to a medical condition, has decided that a .380 is a good option. With so many choices how can we
find a .380 to suit her? Thank you
I imagine it's been said but didn't read everything. Go to a good gun shop, if you can find one, and let her check out all the available options. Narrow it down to 2-3 good suspects. Find a range that rents guns and has the 2-3 suspects and let her shoot those.

In spite of any possible suggestions otherwise, avoid options that are small and options that are light weight. They are going to be much snappier and unpleasant to shoot. Be sure to look at the S&W M&P EZ model. It is definitely easier to rack/load and not too small or too light. You may also want to look at that model in their .30 Super Carry caliber. The .30SC holds 2 more rounds of ammo and gives performance almost equal to 9mm but handles like the .380. Good luck.

I think we are close to falling into the classic bad advice of “little gun for the little lady”.

Little, lightweight guns are hard to shoot. You can bring the power of the cartridge down, but they still suffer from basic physics - lightweight equals more perceived recoil.

Better that she get a larger, heavier gun, along with the smaller caliber, to make it easier for her to shoot.
first time I'm going to have to disagree with you sir. and some aspect having a smaller frame allows for more of your hands to cover it which in my experience when you have more of your hands covering it you have more control. number two, I dealt with enough people on the other side of the counter that trying to pick out one for a significant other or spouse never ends well. from the way it feels to the color it is I encourage all people to find what fits them. if it was up to my significant other she'd have me wearing jeans in a waist no larger than 36 36 but that's just not going to happen now that I'm into my mid-40s and have spinal issues so thankfully I don't let her do my shopping as much as I can help it. finding something reliable that's not overbearing isn't going to be easy. I as well as many others on here would recommend they go to a place where they can rent and try different models. a 22 is better than a 50 if you can hit with the 22. I like revolvers better because I'm old and I watched a lot of John Wayne but learning to control the trigger without staging it which is a terrible idea as you should never have your finger anywhere close until you're ready to shoot. you're going to find out that it's much more affordable to shoot nine and it has quite a bit more energy. if memory serves me correctly I believe the cost is quite a bit more reasonable on them as well. you may look at 32 Auto but there will be few models and the cost of cartridges is not for the weak or faint of heart.

first time I'm going to have to disagree with you sir. and some aspect having a smaller frame allows for more of your hands to cover it which in my experience when you have more of your hands covering it you have more control. number two, I dealt with enough people on the other side of the counter that trying to pick out one for a significant other or spouse never ends well. from the way it feels to the color it is I encourage all people to find what fits them. if it was up to my significant other she'd have me wearing jeans in a waist no larger than 36 36 but that's just not going to happen now that I'm into my mid-40s and have spinal issues so thankfully I don't let her do my shopping as much as I can help it. finding something reliable that's not overbearing isn't going to be easy. I as well as many others on here would recommend they go to a place where they can rent and try different models. a 22 is better than a 50 if you can hit with the 22. I like revolvers better because I'm old and I watched a lot of John Wayne but learning to control the trigger without staging it which is a terrible idea as you should never have your finger anywhere close until you're ready to shoot. you're going to find out that it's much more affordable to shoot nine and it has quite a bit more energy. if memory serves me correctly I believe the cost is quite a bit more reasonable on them as well. you may look at 32 Auto but there will be few models and the cost of cartridges is not for the weak or faint of heart.
I don’t think we are disagreeing at all.

This poster has asked the question before, about his wife that is recoil sensitive,and we’ve all recommended that she try out various guns.

My point is this: people are recommending very small guns, and they have awful recoil. Not a good recommendation.

If she doesn’t like a SiG P365, she’s not going to like the LCP, no matter what caliber. So, I think she needs to be looking at larger-than-LCP guns.

She needs to like it. It needs to fit her hand. It needs to have modest recoil. I think we agree.

I know nothing of their reliability but what about the Browning 1911 380 clone? Or the new Beretta Wildcat 380? Both are midsize guns which should give a smaller hand plenty to grip onto and some more mass to soak up recoil

really.png

Ruger makes a Security 380. It’s larger than the typical pocket gun so it would have less recoil and be easier to manage.

Back