Which 2 stroke oil for el-chepo 2 stroke generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my quest to add to my cluttered collection of power equipment, I have a new addition.

I host a tailgate party for Kentucky football games and picked up a trailer a few weeks ago to set up for this. I set up a couple of deep cycle batteries and an inverter to run the stereo/lights/fan/heater....but went to Harbor Freight to pick up a new tongue jack for it...and ran across these neat little 800W two stroke generators they had one sale. Normally about $150, between the sale and a coupon, I was out the door for about $65.

This is a Chinese made 2 stroke - weights about 40-50lbs - and amazingly enough runs like a champ so far. I took it home, fired it up, and let it run with my current normal chainsaw/trimmer/blower mix (fresh Shell 93 with Stihl Max Synthetic) and about a 400 watt load to test it out. I did some reading overnight and found out the cheap spark plugs don't last, so I tossed a Autolite 64 in it, hooked constant 500-600watt load of lights/fan to it and left for a few hours. It ran for 5-6 hours until I got home on about 1gal with the Shell/Stihl mix.

First tailgate was last weekend, I ran a box fan and a home style stereo off of it for about 7 hours (Shell 93 and the Stihl orange bottle dino oil, just because I have enough for about 15gal of mix of this laying around and want to get rid of it)and it looks like on this light load I only used about 2/3 of a gallon.

SO on to my question - what type of oil would you use in this? It is air cooled, but unlike my higher performance, high RPM, two strokes, it doesn't seem to get hot at all.

In my garage right now I have:
El-Chepo "pro mix" that I picked up from Lowes on sale years ago and never opened.
Stihl orange bottle (used to run this in my MS290 and FS76)
Stihl Max Synthetic (now use in MS361, Echo blower, and old FS76)
Echo oil that came with my Echo
Pennzoil Premium Plus TCW3 (for 115hp E-rude outboard)

What would your pick be, from that list, or from something I could acquire elsewhere?

I'm looking for lowest smoke/smell since it's around people, then I guess low noise even though this thing is quite, then third protection...because really...I've got $65 in this thing, its neat, but disposable.

Disclaimer: This generator is a toy only, not something I have to depend on - the house backup is one of the big Sams Club Black Maxs with a Honda motor.

Last edited:
Find a Klotz dealer or go on-line and get some of this stuff:

http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KL%2D306%5FQuart&cat=6

Almost completely smokeless and what fumes you do get smell pretty good.

I've been wanting one of these for a while. It's a novelty machine IMO. That said I would run the Stihl MAX (which I presume to be white bottle) if you want it to last.

However, with this machine, counting on it to last may not be dependent on the oil used, but rather the build quality of the machine.

Last edited:
ANY decent quality two cycle oil will do. Just mix it according to manufacturers instructions and on hot days, add a bit more oil to the fuel not exceeding 32:1.

Originally Posted By: Jeff3126
I've been wanting one of these for a while. It's a novelty machine IMO. That said I would run the Stihl MAX (which I presume to be white bottle) if you want it to last.

However, with this machine, counting on it to last may not be dependent on the oil used, but rather the build quality of the machine.

It really is a neat little toy. It might not last another month, but right now it sure does run like a little sewing machine. It isn't loud at all, burns almost no gas, and is easy to start. I haven't tried it when it's been really cold, but so far in temps from about 85F-40F it has cold started within 3-4 pulls - give it few seconds with the choke on and start working it over to the run position, and in about 2min it's purring right along and ready for business.

Last weekend I sat it in front of my truck (probably 40 feet away) and we obviously couldn't hear it at all - then after the game I fired it back up for awhile and put it about 12 feet away right in front of the trailer, you could hear it but it wasn't at all loud or annoying. You get a puff a smoke on start up...but then it runs clean.

I will stop by the local dirt bike shop and see if they sell Klotz so I can give it a try this weekend.

By the way - yes the Stihl Max I was talking about is the white bottle stuff.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
I bought one for my birthday last weekend, around $63 out the door with the coupon. I should have gotten another one.

I would be all over something like that, if it existed up here.

I used similar generators (ETQ 1200 watt rated, more like 800 actual before voltage drop) to power a trailer in the woods for a few years. 1st one blew a crank seal at est. 25 hours, replaced under warranty, replacement had at least a couple of hundred hours on it last I saw it (long story) including the original spark plug! Ran lights, battery charger, tv, radio, etc. and a small coffee pot.

I always Citgo Sea and Snow @ 32:1 in it most of the time, but did run a couple of gallons of gas mixed 16:1 with Meijer 15w40 (didn't feel like driving back to town for more 2 stroke oil)...

amr- thanks for posting! I was wondering how these little guys ran, sounded, etc. I figured they'd be obnoxiously loud. For under $100, they sound like a nice thing to have on hand. Great for boosting/starting a vehicle with a dead battery and whatnot.

You paid $65 for it, dump whatever you have in it. It isn't going to run forever anyway. With the high priced oil you are spending more for the oil than you did for the generator.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
You paid $65 for it, dump whatever you have in it. It isn't going to run forever anyway. With the high priced oil you are spending more for the oil than you did for the generator.

True. I'd run something that allows you to run a tad on the rich (oily) side w/out smoking or fouling you out.

image_1879.jpg

image_4691.jpg

I was looking at these the other day. Interesting find.
Do you have a link to the coupon?

There is a Harbor Freight on my way home from work.

BTW, I too would run whatever you have on hand according to the manual. It can't be THAT pickey about what it likes. Glad to hear from someone who has one.

I actually found the coupon online when I did some searches for more info/reviews of this little toy. I do have it saved as a pdf, but just opened it and it expires today (10/14/2010) so unfortunately it's not going to be of any help to you. It sounds like (from what I've read) that it's out there pretty often though.

Also, when I bought it, it was on sale for about half of what's it's being advertised for now, BUT I think I've seen references to it being advertised with a stack-able coupon in some print magazines for about $80 too - might want to do a couple of searches and see what you can come up with.

We are hosting a tailgate for about 40 people this weekend, so I spent a couple of hours tonight loading up the trailer (it's also going to the sign shop tomorrow for graphics). I decided to change out the orange bottle Stihl for the white bottle Stihl too when I was filling it up, so it's topped off with fresh Shell 93 and the Stihl Ultra Synthetic and ready for the party. I don't really care about how the oil will lube in this case, just want to be sure I have the lowest smoke/smell possible - it wasn't any issue last week (or noticeable at all) but hey, realistically I have spent enough on the day that an extra
I stopped by one dirt bike shop looking for Klotz and they don't stock it. So I went past my local saw shop and picked up one of the bigger (12.5ish) oz bottles of Stihl Ultra for about $7, so that will take care of 5 gallons of gas...or about 30-40 hours of run time at rate I've seen so far. That should take care of the rest of football season (4 more home games) easily enough. The generator came with a little oil measuring cup making the bigger bottles easy enough to use.

I figure that way I'll save my little 2.5ish oz "one gallon mix" for when I stop to get fresh saw gas for the Stihl 361 on firewood cutting trips.

Last edited:
Is there a engine rating sticker on this unit? Like and A, B, or C? I'm curious as to how long an engine like this could reasonably last, provided you don't get a lemon.

Is there a engine rating sticker on this unit? Like and A, B, or C? I'm curious as to how long an engine like this could reasonably last, provided you don't get a lemon.

The new ones are actually EPA and CARB certified (seems odd for a 2-stroke), so they should have the A,B,C rating. The letter rating isn't how long the engine will last, it's how many hours it's rated to maintain it's emissions compliance rating.

Joel

Joel is correct.

Many people are under the misconception that the hour rating of the engine is engine life. Not so. The hour rating is the commitment that the manufacturer makes regarding how long the engine will meet EPA requirements.

I'd assume that the manufacturer estimates the hours rating based on an engine not being maintained. Probably worst case scenario estimate.

Again, I'm assuming that if the engine is well maintained, i.e. air filter cleaned, exhaust system kept free of carbon and correct ratio of oil to fuel is used, the engine will probably stay within EPA requirements well past it's hours rating.

Two cycle engines are capable of extreme engine speeds and I have 36 year old two stroke engines still capable of 11000 plus rpms. In a generator running at 3600 rpm, I'd say that the engine, if reasonably built with half decent quality bearings and seals, and is run with correct fuel to oil ratio, should last a good long time.

I've taken apart some very neglected two cycle engines and it amazes me that they will still run and not too badly. Usually it's bad crank seals that have been a source of most two cycle engine problems I've encountered. Not counting poorly adjusted carbs, incorrect ignition settings or clogged exhaust.

The new ones are actually EPA and CARB certified (seems odd for a 2-stroke), so they should have the A,B,C rating. The letter rating isn't how long the engine will last, it's how many hours it's rated to maintain it's emissions compliance rating.

Joel

It says it is EPA rated at 50 hours, but as Joel says, I don't think this has any real direct correlation with the unit's useful life.

Last night I ran across my old hot plate (looks like one burner from an electric stove) and tried that on it. It says it draws 750w. I cranked up the generator (took 3 pulls) then after about 1 min turned on the hot plate, it REALLY changed the tone (sounded deep like it was at full throttle, and there was a RPM drop) of the generator and looked like I was fogging for mosquitoes (LOTS of smoke) for the 30 seconds or so I ran it.

I then turned the burner off, waited about 2-3 min for the generator to get warmed up, and hit it again. This time it ran VERY smoothly with a nice deep tone when the load hit it, and zero noticeable smoke. Burner got red hot in a min or so just like it should. When turned off the engine would change tone and adjust throttle, when turned on it would load up and purr right along smoothly.

Today I'll run a charger to maintain the house battery in the trailer (should draw 350W) and a crockpot (says 275W on the bottom), so a nice load of 625W that should be right in this unit's sweet spot, from noon until game time at 6PM - or until I run out of gas (have 1 gallon in the unit and don't think I'll bother to bring a spare can).

Last edited:
Yeah, those single burner hot plates are a great thing to have on hand in the event of a power outage if you don't have natural gas or propane available to cook with.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back