Which 10w30 - M1 HM or PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Since my normal oil has been discontinued, which of these two would you choose and why?

2. Previous oil was M1 TSUV and was a bit thicker than regular M1 5w30 and 10w30 (from what I remember) and the truck like it. Less noise. Which of the two in the title is thicker?

Thanks!

it seems like pennzoil changed their formula on the high mileage i may be wrong but if seems a little lighter and smells very different

I would go with the M1 and not the HM unless you have leakage or burning issues. Ops, I re-read and see your chosen options are HM or PP. I'd go with PP myself.

Last edited:
One quick additional question on this subject.

How long can you safely go on OCI with the M1 HM? I put this in the Wife's 02 Forester with a Pureone filter. No leaks or oil burn on the 2.5 boxer with about 110k on the clock. Engine has been maintained, no sludge.

Thanks.

I also used the M1 T&SUV, and went with M1 HM now. My Outback seems to like it, the engine is quieter than any other oil I've tried.

I tried PP in the past, and oil consumption increased dramatically so I went back to M1. Two different vehicles, two OCIs on each, both needed more than 1 quart top up over the OCI on PP, but use only about 1/2 quart per OCI on M1.

Originally Posted By: Tremo
One quick additional question on this subject.

How long can you safely go on OCI with the M1 HM? I put this in the Wife's 02 Forester with a Pureone filter. No leaks or oil burn on the 2.5 boxer with about 110k on the clock. Engine has been maintained, no sludge.

Thanks.
Tremo M1 HM could easily do 7500 miles on your Subaru ,M1 HM is a very stout oil that is ACEA A1 rated so it is capable of extended drains if your wish. I would suggest getting the oil analyzed if stretching the oil past 7500 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back