Which 0w-20 would you pick? (Based on specs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any name brand with the proper viscosity and Ratings would be fine. I would use a 5w-30 though.

1) M1
2) PU
3) Castrol
4) Amsoil
Any of these.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
What a waste of time. You actually think you can pick the best oil using the specs you list?

Party pooper.

Thanks for the responses, especially the ones referring to the other specs that require consideration.

By the way, here are the actual 0w-20 oils I listed:

Oil A - Mobil 1 Extended Performance
Oil B - Castrol Edge Extended Performance
Oil C - Motul 8100 Eco-Lite
Oil D - Total Quartz 9000

In my 2012 Forester, (130K) I have found the PP to burn about 1qt(+/-) per 7500 OCI. I switched to Valvoline, went to about 1/2 qt (mostly +) burn, same OCI. Now on M1 EP 15K stuff, so far at 5K no loss. I know the Foz has had some issues with eating oil, but we shall see.
Just my own observations, hope it helps.
Mike B

Toyota/Lexus recommends only two types of oil for that engine:

1. 5w20 (in cold climates) and
2. 5w30 (in warm climates).

0w20 in a warm Texas climate makes no sense for that 3.5L V6. It can cause premature wear and other problems. The system was designed around 5w30. Why would anyone do anything else for such a great engine?

I've been researching oils for this engine since I'm probably going to buy one from a friend in the near future. I'm going to use PP, PU, or M1 5w30 in a very cold climate. I worry that 0w20 isn't good for this engine, especially for a Texas car.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Toyota/Lexus recommends only two types of oil for that engine:

1. 5w20 (in cold climates) and
2. 5w30 (in warm climates).

0w20 in a warm Texas climate makes no sense for that 3.5L V6. It can cause premature wear and other problems. The system was designed around 5w30. Why would anyone do anything else for such a great engine?

I've been researching oils for this engine since I'm probably going to buy one from a friend in the near future. I'm going to use PP, PU, or M1 5w30 in a very cold climate. I worry that 0w20 isn't good for this engine, especially for a Texas car.

If an engine is spec'd for 0-20, then your comment is wrong that 0-20 causes premature wear and especially in Texas.

It is weird that every toyota (on the chart below) with that engine isn't spec'd for 0w20, but maybe the toyota engineers have their reasons for changing it for the lexus.

http://www.positivespin.us/Toyota Oil Chart.JPG

Edit: Nevermind, the Sienna specs 0w20 starting in 2011. But for some reason all the other 3.5L V6s do not.

Last edited:
Choose the one that is OEM approved.

By the way where the 10000 mile criteria come from ??

The OEM manual, BITOG Bible ??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil

Choose the one that is OEM approved.

By the way where the 10000 mile criteria come from ??

The OEM manual, BITOG Bible ??

The scheduled maintenance log for the 2014 GS350 specifies oil & filter changes at 10,000 mile intervals with 0w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back