Where to Sell a De Soto Needing Restoration

Today I met a wonderful, gracious widowed lady who is trying to sell a number of possessions. I met her when my wife was buying some weathered lumber from her, for a craft project. Among them is a 1958 DeSoto Fireflite. I only looked at the car from a distance. But the body looks to be in very good shape. No body damage, and I didn't see any rust. All four tires are flat to the ground and it looks like the car hasn't moved for many years.

I found myself wanting to do whatever I can to help this lady sell her car so she can get a fair price for it, and at the same time, provide someone else the opportunity to have a great restoration project. I am looking for advice on what the best method would be for her to find a good buyer. She lives in a small farming town here in Northern Utah, so I don't think trying to sell it local would give her anywhere what she deserves for it.

Is there a online website that specializes in selling project cars of this type? Or is there some other way that any of you may recommend?

If I can find a good way for her to sell her car, I'd even be willing to help her take pictures and post them so her car can be presented as well as it deserves. Any suggestions will be appreicated.

I'd also suggest bring-a-trailer (BAT)

As a non running example the price is going to suffer but the alternative of get it going again could cost a great deal.

And that begs the question of why it's been parked all these years. There's a good chance that some major component has failed.

Things may have changed since I followed the old/classic car market in my youth, but Hemmings has been the go to source for as long as I can remember for buying and selling old cars and car parts.

I'd also suggest bring-a-trailer (BAT)

As a non running example the price is going to suffer but the alternative of get it going again could cost a great deal.

And that begs the question of why it's been parked all these years. There's a good chance that some major component has failed.

Having rescued one (my MG) that sat for a long time, I'll say that it got relegated to the garage for a relatively minor problem, but the previous owner had too many other things going on at the time and he kept meaning to get it fixed... Someday. The troublesome Lucas electronic ignition was relatively easy to repair, but unfortunately, sitting for 18 years led to lots of other problems and deteriorated parts it didn't have 18 years before.

Having rescued one (my MG) that sat for a long time, I'll say that it got relegated to the garage for a relatively minor problem, but the previous owner had too many other things going on at the time and he kept meaning to get it fixed... Someday. The troublesome Lucas electronic ignition was relatively easy to repair, but unfortunately, sitting for 18 years led to lots of other problems and deteriorated parts it didn't have 18 years before.
I went to see a TR-4 that had been stored under a tarp in a garage for 15 or so years. Apparently it had been running well when parked.

I took along a member of the local Triumph club to help assess it. We rolled it out of the garage and started it up but did not take it for a test drive. Before very long fuel was literally pouring out of the fuel pump, and we noticed that the brakes no longer worked. There was also a definite rust line along the seams between the fenders and the body.

Sitting for that long had not done the car any good, it was an odd colour (original paint) and the owner wanted a premium price - so we rolled it back into the garage and left a message for the owner about all the new trouble spots.

Look up Oldsmobile owners clubs for sure.

Re condition. Turn the crank by hand. If necessary, oil the cylinders and turn the crank by hand....likely all the seller need do.
Anyone buying this garage find will expect to tear down both engine and transmission.
This could be an affordable, fairly intact first resto for a budding hobbyist.

Ha, would this car have the same engine and transmission as my Dad's 1954 DeSoto Firedome?

Thanks, everyone. A lot of great suggestions.

I also had considered bringatrailer, but when I visited their site to see what is involved, it seemed that they are a little pickey of what ads they accept. I would feel terrible if this lady goes to a lot of work to prepare pictures, write an ad, and then have it rejected.

I had forgotten that autotrader has a classic area. That's a good idea. I think I am going to suggest to her both Hemmings and Autotrader.

Skyactiv, thanks for the link to Hagerty. You are right, those prices appear to all be for a running car. But it does give a little clue of value.

Unlikely BAT will list a car like that, and if they do, you will have to list it with no reserve. Would she be happy with $800 or $1000 if few people are interested? Best place would be Ebay as it gets world wide exposure. Europeans in particular love those big boats from the 50's. Examples of recent sales,

This is one of those things where you may have to wait a year of actively advertising to find "the right buyer" and get top dollar.

If this were a 55 or 57 chevy, or 69 firebird, or 64 Mustang, people would be all over it.

The car *should* be sold locally, because the flipside is she's getting bogus cashiers checks in the mail and now you're intertwined in this mess!

I don't see this bringing more than a few thousand bucks. IMO she should get a licensed, bonded classic car dealer to sell it on consignment for her.

My father had a 1957 DeSoto Fireflite sedan when I was a boy. The widow's car certainly will have value for the right buyer. To find him or her, Hemmings or a consignment broker may be the way to go.

I had a ‘56 DeSoto I co-owned with a friend when we were young. Unfortunately one of the heads was stolen from the carport when we were working on getting it running. The interior was a masterpiece of modern streamline design.

I'm planning on seeing if I can talk to her this weekend about the car, and see if I can get a feel of what she wants out of it. When I'm there, I'll offer to take a lot of pictures for her, so she can have a real nice ad that will have all the details that a serious buyer may want to see.

A lot of good suggestions here. It is really appreciated. She really deserves to get a fair price for the car.

Engine makes a difference. 2 door or 4 door makes a difference. If it's an early Hemi there is a market for those alone. Of course for restoration purposes the lack of rust is important. I believe they had a unique windshield that would be prohibitive to replace if it is broken. I would look for De Soto groups online and query them for info.

Just looked at 1958 spec's and your model looks to have a wedge 361...so no Hemi. Sorry

Last edited:
Back