where to put oil temp sender on LS1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been contemplating an oil temp guage for the SS. Is anyone knowledable about where to mount the sender? I suppose the easiest place would be the oil pan drain plug, if they make a sender with that thread. But will that location reflect good oil temp readings? If not, then where?

Where does the corvette have its oil temp sender?

Also, I'm curious about M6 trans fluid temps, and was thinking of doing a 2nd guage for that. But I would want a much lower scale and was thinking of using a water temp guage if I couldn't find an oil temp guage with a scale I liked. What do you think? I figure the only two (easy) places to put a sender on the T-56 are either the vent or drain plug holes, and I'm not sure how much clearance inwards there is there. And what temps should I expect? I'm guessing 140-170F most of the time.

What oil are you running in the T56.Ive coverted my 700R4 1985 Transam to a new T56.Havent run it yet but ive put Castrol Dexron III in there.
PM

I've been running Redline D4Synthetic ATF in my T56 with great results. Shifting was noticeably smoother over the factory fill ATF and was especially noticeable on real cold days when the car had set outside all day and the fluid was cold.

quote:

But will that location reflect good oil temp readings? If not, then where?

If you don't have a remote setup and can't tap right off the pump ..I think the pan is the only place that makes sense. You can't control localized temps inside the engine ...all that you can do is assure yourself that your sump has enough "insult reserve". Anywhere on the block (unless you have a tap right off the filter/pump - my 78 BBC did) you risk having the water jacket influence the reading.

quote:

Originally posted by powermite:
What oil are you running in the T56.Ive coverted my 700R4 1985 Transam to a new T56.Havent run it yet but ive put Castrol Dexron III in there.
PM

I'm running walmart supertech atf. It shifts good with it actually, but I think that's mostly due to the cooler weather we've been having... not to cold, not too hot yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back