Where to buy tires, dealer or costco etc

I have tried two places that “only install” and have been burned. Going somewhere else for alignment and suspension work if needed is quite a hassle.

I use a “tire” shop the does alignment for $40(half) when buying tires and is competent at brakes, oil, suspension and not into recommending excess auto repairs. The owner is wealthy from his property($35 million) from former locations so is not into overcharging for his work.

No idea why he does not sell his current location which is large parcel near a downtown thriving area.
There is a lot to alignment (one could watch a YouTube, at least I found it interesting). Again what I learned through my "lifetime" alignment. The first is a real alignment, subsequent ones are not.

I took my car into the BMW dealer for an alignment, and at the time it was $150. Every single value was in the green. At the same time, every single value was set to the middle of the range. And I hear they weight the driver seat. In other words, they set the values to the optimium values, not simply leave it as is because it's already in the green. Breaking the rear brake sensor wire when I had installed it only one week prior, then denying they did it? That was free of charge! (note to self: BBB is my friend) :ROFLMAO:

It depends so much on where you live and how picky you are with choice of tires. No Discount Tire here in the Northeast. Nearest Costco is 35 minutes in the opposite direction from everything else. Tire Rack was out of stock on my top 3 choices. My Ford dealership could only offer me one choice of tire but is happy to m&b for $25/tire. So I ordered the exact tires I wanted from Walmart, and will have the dealership install.
Good luck with your search!

After deciding on the replacement tire I will always shop the specific one as seems to vary on price considerably. Usually get a full alignment for the first tire change after a new car purchase. Have found the local Belle Tire shop provides good service and matches TireRack pricing. I put extra weight to approximate passenger, sit in the vehicle and have it set for zero camber on the road when doing an alignment. Discount tire has good prices too. Costco and others often don't carry the tires I am looking for, but some are willing to special order.

I stay as far away from the dealership as possible on the tasks I can confidently do myself, due to the cost. However, I have found dealerships the most reliable with the highest confidence on Euro vehicles - an example of getting what you pay for.

I rotate my tires between seasons when swapping out between winter and summer/regular tires if able (some tires are directional) on my rear-wheel drive BMW 328i manual trans. I rotate tires myself on the other vehicles every year/7,000 miles.

Primary: local [non chain] shop. Bonus points if they have DRFB.

Alternate: dealer; once I got a crazy good deal on top shelf tires from VW dealer (BMW Dealer was also fairly priced, but the way they raped you on just about everything else…)

Wild Card: for family member away at school, internship etc. Costco, easy for them to get no hassle repair replacement if needed.

I have been ordering tires through WalMart on line. I pick them up at a WalMart across the border in sales tax free New Hampshire. I get them mounted elsewhere, as they are low profile tiles requiring good mounting equipment and skilled operators.

Walmart has been beating discount tire on price, my last two sets of tires were purchased from them.
I avoid WalMart even if I have to drive 100 additional miles to do so! IMO, the worst tire buying/installation I ever experienced. Just my experience- yours must be differant. I really like Costco. Good price, torque lug nuts, free LT balance and rotation, free puncture repair and good lunch counter.

Typically I buy tires from Discount Tire, but for my Subaru I went through the dealer. It was a LITTLE cheaper, but... the tires then can with a 2 year road hazard/replacement that I didn't have to pay $40 per tire for from DT. This past week I bought tires from Tire Rack, for the first time, and went with them over DT, because of the including 2 year road hazard/replacement. I was actually surprised that TR included this as free even being part of DT. Maybe its not the same warranty, but I only had to replace one tire in my entire 25 years of driving and that was on the Subie a month ago. And the dealership repalced it without an issue.

Have used Discount Tire a bunch and just recently Costco.

Discount Tire is generally good. The staff can vary but I haven't had any truly bad experiences.

Costco was a step above. Very good staff, good communication and the guys doing the work were clearly car guys.

Costco is always a zoo and their appointments fill up fast so based on convenience alone, I'll probably stick with Discount Tire.

I had bad installs at Costco. One time all the tires deflated and other time they were all unbalanced.

Not worth it to save a few bucks

Went thru the dealership for tires for my F150 and wife's Honda Pilot (convenience and both needed alignment which is not offered at Costco).

I've purchased tires thru Costco before; my last experience was not good...Tires for my wife's Honda were purchased thru their online store and appointment made at the nearby Costco...Got to my appointment 15 minutes early...After wandering around the store for 90 minutes - I went to see what progress was made...They hadn't started working on my wife's car! :mad:

Long story short - went to customer service to get my refund and the look they gave me o_O...Why the f**k do you offer appointments if you don't even acknowledge them, or place them as a priority??!!

Recently, I have been buying tires online from Walmart for me to pick up at my closest WM store in tax free New Hampshire. Then I take them to a shop with Hunter tire changing machines.

The last set of tires I bought came from FB. A guy bought a new Ridgeline and went to a larger size for towing. Saved $300.

Back