Where to buy clay *by itself* ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all,

I just finished the yearly claying/polishing/waxing of the C230. (No, it's not the only time the car gets waxed; I do it every 3 months or so.) It makes a big difference in the smoothness of the paint, and now the little gold beast gleams like a brand-new car.

My Q is this: Where can I buy just the clay bar itself?

I know the Mother's kit you can get at Autozone is only 15.00. But I've used up the clay, and still have a bottle and a half of the detailing spray lubricant and two full bottles of the cleaner wax that comes in the kit. I don't have room to store them, don't have anyone to give them to, and hate to waste them by throwing them out.

Would a detail shop sell me some, or are there online outlets where I could find the clay alone? I've done a search, here and elsewhere, and all I find is the kits.

Thanks!

The best value for clay, i think, is the Clay Magic kit at Autozone.

10 bucks, and comes with lube spray.

It is alot stiffer than the mothers, but works alittle better .

JBM wrote:

>>The best value for clay, i think, is the Clay Magic kit at Autozone.

10 bucks, and comes with lube spray.

It is alot stiffer than the mothers, but works alittle better.
JBM, I had no idea that package was priced that low! I saw it there the other day. Is that a sale price? And do you get as much clay with it as with the Mother's?

Paul

The Mothers kits includes an 80g clay bar and 16oz of detail spray.

The basic Clay Magic kit includes a 100g clay bar and 12oz of detail spray.

Clay Magic and a few other suppliers also sell 200g bars. 3M's clay (made by Clay Magic) includes two 100g bars. You can typically find 3M at your local auto body paint and supply shop.

Zaino will sell you claybar just by itself. But I think the ClayMagic is a better clay, not to mention it's cheaper and comes with a detailing spray.

And seriously, if you use up the clay but don't use up the detail spray that comes with it, then you're not using enough of the lube. For the sake of preventing scratches, it is better to lube more than not enough. I use about three bottles of spray in order to claybar the whole car.

I also prefer ClayMagic over Mother's, Zaino or Griot's clay bars. I've used each of them on several different vehicles and I always come back to ClayMagic.

BTW, ClayMagic holds the patent.

Steve

Hey, all,

I found the ClayMagic kit -- clay and spray lube -- at Autozone, for 9.99. It'll be a while before I can try it out (oh, all right, I'll make an excuse to use it on a fender or something next time I wash the car), but it's a good thing to have. I'd have bought it instead of the Mother's last year if AZ had had it on the shelves.

Thanks for the tips!

Paul W.

Ya, its pretty much always that price.

Although i use Zaino's clay, just add it to my cart, same shipping.

Zaino and Mothers are the same clay, they even have the same UPC code on them. Google it and you can see the pics side by side

You can get two bars of Sonus clay at Bettercarcare.com for about 18 bucks when its on sale. There are only two or three MFG of clay in the world so I buy my price. There is little difference between them, except of course the grade, fine or aggressive.

A cheaper alternative to the srpay that comes with the clay is just to make a triple or double strenght car wash solution to lube the clay bar. Thats what i do, and it works very well. The detail spray gets to be quite expensive.

Yup, that's what I do. When the original spray is over, I refill the bottle with dilluted Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo. It's not as slick as the ClayMagic spray, but it does the job OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back