Where is the Airbus miracle on the Hudson now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the uproar that event created. There wasn't anybody in the city who didn't know what had happened when it occurred.

I saw the movie as well. Incredible story of skill and bravery.

Thanks
smile.gif

I just saw this movie for the first time last week.

I wasn't aware they were trying to blame Sully for putting it in the Hudson.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy

Yeah....welcome to aviation...where the pilot is always at fault... until proven innocent.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Yeah....welcome to aviation...where the pilot is always at fault... until proven innocent.

I was following a helicopter crash a few years ago and was surprised when the agency came back with “pilot error” since we all had heard main gearbox failure. Turns out the sequence was MGB lost oil pressure … communication with base … decision made to return to base … MGB destructs mid air.
The pilot had enough time for an emergency landing and took his chances … many dead.

That was honestly the most disturbing part of the movie. You would think landing a bleeping plane on a bleeping river, and having every soul go home to their families would be enough to get by without the second-guessing.

But I understand that these investigators do have a job to do, regardless.

I'm glad he had the stones to just say, "Yeah, I need to put this plane in the river.", rather than try for an airport over fear and embarrassment over the potential blowback.

I don't know how the actual testimony went, but my favorite part is where the investigators are attempting to discover his scientific process for deciding to land on the river and Hanks (as Sully) just straight tells them, "I eyeballed it.".

Priceless.
grin.gif

Having set on two accident boards...lots of truth in 14's statement.

Smoky

Astro, I haven't seen the movie. Do you recommend it?

You need to do a little research. The NTSB did not act that way in reality. They were on Sully's side and went out of their way to prove he did the right thing. He was a consultant for the board and friendly with the members. In fact, they were pretty upset with the way they were portrayed and some had a falling out with Sully over "allowing" them to be portrayed the way they were. It made for better drama, but was not true.

I've gotten into the habit of researching "inspired by true story" movies. Facts are frequently distorted, or even made up.

Originally Posted By: Number_35

I own it. It's a really good movie.

But it's very difficult for me to watch because of the nature of the investigation.

To the investigators, Sully was an idiot, who crashed his airplane instead of choosing better options.

I won't spoil the movie further, but it's definitely worth watching. Tom Hanks does a great job.

Originally Posted By: Number_35

I highly recommend it. It was very well done.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
You need to do a little research. The NTSB did not act that way in reality. They were on Sully's side and went out of their way to prove he did the right thing. He was a consultant for the board and friendly with the members. In fact, they were pretty upset with the way they were portrayed and some had a falling out with Sully over "allowing" them to be portrayed the way they were. It made for better drama, but was not true.

I've gotten into the habit of researching "inspired by true story" movies. Facts are frequently distorted, or even made up.

+1; the aggression of the NTSB was WAY exaggerated by Hollywood. They had to have a "bad guy". Although Sully was initially blamed, the investigation showed conclusively that they did the ONLY thing that kept the plane away from population while allowing the safest landing.

I loved Skiles' comment when asked what he'd do differently: "I'd do it in the summer". Don't know if that's Hollywood or he actually said it but it was a great line.

Last edited:
These simple little words give Hollywood license to lie as much as they like: "Based on" a true story, real events, whatever you want to insert there.

Whenever people get ahold of a story and retell it, no matter what the medium, they tend to blur the facts, at a minimum, and outright lie, at the extreme.

Papa Bear, it’s in an aviation museum in Charlotte, NC — where the plane was *supposed* to land that day. They trucked the plane down the interstate on a flatbed. I was lucky enough to get a glimpse just north of Charlotte. Quite a site.

http://www.carolinasaviation.org/commercial/miracle-on-the-hudson-flight-1549

I was living in Charlotte when the plane landed in the Hudson. That city - a major banking center - had been emotionally gutted by the financial crisis. One of the feathers in its cap, Wachovia, was a few days away from failing and had to be purchased quickly that previous fall. Two hurricanes had disrupted gas supplies and it was a major challenge trying to find gas that fall. Those two things alone had Made the city a very uncomfortable place to be. Had that plane full of people headed for Charlotte crashed and there’d been a major loss of life, it would’ve been a terrible tragedy.

Sully was a hero everywhere. He was especially toasted in Charlotte, as he should have been. That museum near the Charlotte airport was a logical place to park it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back