Movie filming locations

A lot of "The Duel" was filmed on the Old Sierra HWY, near a couple of places I used to ride dirt bikes back in the early 80's.

In the original "Dirty Harry", Clint Eastwood delivers a bag of ransom money along a circuitous route in and south of San Francisco.
The trail, covered by foot, bus and street car is shown with continuity.....all the way to Mt. Davidson.
In 1975 I took my 4 "new cousins" along that route; by foot, bus and street car.

They were too young. I knew it was cool; still do.
The end of Dirty Harry where he throws his badge into the quarry pond. My cousins and I were watching the scene behind some barriers and when the crew cleared out we dove into that pond looking for that badge. Didn't work out, those gravel quarry ponds are really deep. It was a ramshackle old place called the Hutchinson Sand and Gravel company. Not too far from San Quentin prison. I was 10 years old. That water was cold and slimy.
0_Km1dKkPpqh4D19a5.jpg

See if they like Blues Brothers any better
There's tons of Blues Brothers locations still around, and a lot which are now gone. Coincidently, just yesterday I drove by the alley where they had built the orphanage where the brothers were raised (in the movie, it was just a false front of a building). The alley still looks the same only much cleaner.

The best of course was the old Dixie Square Mall which was finally torn down about ten years ago. I used to go inside to take photos.... There were various props and stuff from the movie still there even after 30 years; the fruit stands in the fake Jewel store, the colorful wallpaper and false wall in the Toys R Us store, the artwork painted by the crew in a couple of the other stores, etc.

When you live in Northern NJ everywhere you look was in a movie/ TV show.
The original Toxic Avenger and now Jules were filmed here.
LA area is like that, especially Burbank. As you get older you're like, "oh ya, I know that place".

Of course driving up on a set is kinda cool. Atlanta was used for filming of many of the Marvel films and one morning a street on the way to my office was turned into a war zone.

I live in an area that has a lot of movie filming locations ( Fried Green Tomatoes, Footloose, Driving Miss Daisy and about 100 more). After a couple of years, the places you see in movies don't look much like that anymore. Either things have grown up, things have been repainted, new landscaping, etc.

Reactions: D60
I lived in northern New Jersey the first 55 years of my life, and many of the places seen in The Sopranos were familiar to me. In fact, I graduated high school in Bloomfield NJ, and we often hung out at Holsten's in Bloomfield.

Holsten's is the place where Tony Soprano went dark in the final episode.

They are now renovating the place, and the booth where Tony bit the bullet is up for auction. I think the bid is up to around $65K

I live in an area that has a lot of movie filming locations ( Fried Green Tomatoes, Footloose, Driving Miss Daisy and about 100 more). After a couple of years, the places you see in movies don't look much like that anymore. Either things have grown up, things have been repainted, new landscaping, etc.
Which is why Nat'l Lampoons Family Vacation is cool. The La Plata Hwy pretty much looks the same as does the Summit of Wolf Creek and the rest stop outside South Fork.

Back