Movie filming locations

Something I think is fun is to see old filming locations. Today we were near where "Duel" was filmed so I took a screenshot I found a pic online from the movie and took a pic of the location today.

(image remvoed - MOD)

IMG_20240302_165648601.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember it in the early seventies. A driverless truck pursuing Dennis Weaver. Kinda corny but entertaining.

Something I think is fun is to see old filming locations. Today we were near where "Duel" was filmed so I took a screenshot I found a pic online from the movie and took a pic of the location today.
Thank the Force John Belushi is nowhere to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not driverless...we just don't know his identity.
Correct. We see the driver's boots and legs when he walks behind the truck, and we see him waving his arm to make David Mann pass right into oncoming traffic. We just never find out who he is and we never get to see his face. Duel was made for TV and directed by a 24-year-old Spielberg and was later edited from the 74-minute TV version to a 90-minute theatrical release. Spielberg's first proper feature movie was The Sugarland Express in 1974. I hope I can write Spielberg, Sugarland Express, and Duel without violating Copyrights.

There's a YouTube video by a guy who tried to track down the original truck that they drove off a cliff. He found a truck cabin there but it wasn't from Duel. I think I he said he found out it was left there from another shoot. The truck from the movie was actually removed by the production team. Back then this wasn't exactly common.

For the 2-part YT video, look for Is the truck from Spielberg's Duel at the bottom of the cliff? No more links of any kind from me.

Last edited:

(image remvoed - MOD)

View attachment 206394

I like to do that too, we "visit" a filming location, then in the evening we watch the movie. "hey look, we've just been there".

In the original "Dirty Harry", Clint Eastwood delivers a bag of ransom money along a circuitous route in and south of San Francisco.
The trail, covered by foot, bus and street car is shown with continuity.....all the way to Mt. Davidson.
In 1975 I took my 4 "new cousins" along that route; by foot, bus and street car.

They were too young. I knew it was cool; still do.

In the original "Dirty Harry", Clint Eastwood delivers a bag of ransom money along a circuitous route in and south of San Francisco.
The trail, covered by foot, bus and street car is shown with continuity.....all the way to Mt. Davidson.
In 1975 I took my 4 "new cousins" along that route; by foot, bus and street car.

They were too young. I knew it was cool; still do.
Ha! We did the exact same thing soon after we moved to Silicon Valley. Except I took my Wife, and she was less enthusiastic than I was. The tunnel was closed by then.

My parents town had scenes filmed for Daylight and Fatal Attraction.

I got detoured to side roads driving to MA when they were filming Die Hard with a Vengeance on the Taconic State Parkway. You could see the perfectly spaced cars with the shot up Mercedes just sitting waiting in the road waiting for filming to start.

I was once driving over the Moki Dugway in UT and they were stopping traffic because of filming.

I apologized to the LEO saying I know you've been asked this 1000 times, but do you know what they're filming? She said it was called Chill Factor and had Cuba Gooding Jr, who had been there earlier but she thought he had left. I made a point to watch it when it came out (terrible movie, don't waste your time) and was lucky if I could identify 20 seconds that might have been in this area of UT.

Made me realize how much disposable income Hollywood has......

Last edited:
I was at the dunes yesterday where they filmed part of Star Wars Return of the Jedi if that counts lol.

IMG_8053.jpeg

Reactions: D60
I got married a week after the movie debuted in Nov 1971.
Sorry to say I was busy for a few weeks after the wedding and failed to note this Duel Movie was ever made & released.

No kids of mine were born nine months later. So I got caught-up on all the great movies of 71' afterwards.
Dirty Harry
French Connection
Diamonds Are Forever
..... and many more.

There's a similar tunnel like this in Canada, traveling towards Toronto I think. Saw similar numerous times on Highway Thru Hell TV Series, a show that uses various tow trucks to untangle all kinds of 53" foot semi's badly damaged by storms.

Last edited:
Back