Where is best place to take oil sample?

garageman402

$100 Site Donor 2024
Is it better to take a sample during a drain, like about halfway through? Or is it better to stick the tube down the dipstick?

I have read where taking it while draining will pull metal from the drain plug threads. But if you drop a tube down the dipstick you don't know where the tube will end up, if its on the bottom of the pan, you could pull excess debris from the bottom......

Any suggestions?

FWIW I’ve pulled samples from the dipstick tube if I’m not doing an OC. When I take a sample during the OC I pull the sample from the drain pan. I use the tube on the suction pump to stir the pan then pull the sample.

Just my $0.02

FWIW I’ve pulled samples from the dipstick tube if I’m not doing an OC. When I take a sample during the OC I pull the sample from the drain pan. I use the tube on the suction pump to stir the pan then pull the sample.

Just my $0.02
Have you noticed any differences using each method?

Waste of money then. Take the money you would spend on that, for more frequent oil changes.
Ya I've gone that route, been a long time since I've done an analysis, probably better than 10 years. I got an analysis using Redline & it was condemned after 4000 miles, so stopped using expensive oil & started changing more often with lower cost oils. I'm curious again as to how these engines are holding up.

One thing I learned is you need at least 3 oil changes (full crankcase changes) to remove all trace of a former oil. I did the 2 quart (as long as there's pressure) 20 minute runs for 3 "changes", & analysis showed there were still elements that were not present in the current oil I was using.

Back