Where in supply chain is ethel added?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prs

In our area, Chevron pulled out and Marathon took on most of those retailers. One local went with Exxon instead. This station always had relatively light business with Chevron, even though they were in the same scheme of colluison with all the other local stations about fixing prices to be all the same. I stopped and filled-up a couple or three weeks back and noticed no "Contains up to 10% Ethanol" stickers on the pumps. The gas still smelled like drunk fuel. I stopped again yesterday and asked the clerk and she said the fuel had no ethel and they hoped to gain customers as the word got around. Still the gas smelled like ole Ethel had been hitting the sauce. Now; if ethel is blended on site, I can see this being possible, but if at the refinery???

Last edited:
Ethanol is almsot certainly blended in a the refinery.

Only thing that might be bleneded in at the station is the add-pack; but that much ethanol is part of the base fuel.

I assume you mean ethanol. If so, that is added in at the refinery.

Maybe what you smell is some added or stored moonshine.
grin2.gif

Ethanol is added at the terminal, usually when the tanker picks up fuel for delivery. In my area, Marathon (& Speedway) gasoline has been tested & found to contain anywhere from 10-40% ethanol in it. AFAIK, Shell was the last no-ethanol holdout, now they all have it (& fuel mileage has suffered as a result!)

Ethanol is ehtel alcohol; right? I can tell ya fer sure that we know what to do with "moonshine" here in West, by God, Virginia. I think its pretty easy to detect the odor of ethel in gasoline and I bet that my local station's fuel is drunk.

prs

While I am by no means a wordsmith, ethanol is ethyl alcohol, not ehtel (spelling incorrect).

while some spelling maybe insensitive to some, your posting (due to spelling) initially struck me as ethyl as in Ethyl Corp, makes of the MMT (or tetraethyl lead additives back in the leaded automotive gasoline days).

Q.

Last edited:
///
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/servicerpt/fuel/srfsappc.html

Ethanol, or gasoline containing ethanol, cannot be moved practically through today’s pipeline system, because it tends to get pulled into the water that usually exists in petroleum pipelines and tanks. Instead, ethanol is blended into gasoline at terminals near the end users.

Splash blending, in which ethanol is added directly to a tanker truck along with the base gasoline, is commonly used. Ethanol-blended product must be kept separate from product not containing ethanol, necessitating separate handling all the way to the gasoline pump. The separation is needed because movement of a small amount of ethanol (from the ethanol-blended mixture) to gasoline without ethanol can increase the vapor pressure of that gasoline mixture substantially, potentially pushing it above required VOC limits. Thus, ethanol must be moved through an independent distribution system until it is close to the end user, where it then is added before being delivered to retail stations.

///

Here in ND gas stations are starting to install "blender pumps".
You choose the percent ethanol in the final mix and the pump dose the rest. And NO you can't choose 0% ethanol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back