Where Has All The Redline Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have noticed in the last year or so that the source of Redline motor oil for my 70 351C is no more! Several Canadian Tire outlets within 2 hours of my location aren't carrying it...Newmarket being the furthest away that I've checked. They still have the water wetter and diesel fuel treatment but no oil. Are there CTC stores in Toronto still selling it or any other Ontario retailers at a reasonable price for 10/30, or do I need to switch to another brand?

I can't get that song out of my head!
wink.gif

It's left my local supply store's shelves some year or two ago - not really sure if it's rate of sales/earnings justified the sales space it consumed?

I suppose you might be able to order it - ask a manager or possibly online, if you really felt the need to use it.

Good luck.

It has dried up around here too although I do have a transmission shop that carries (or can order) the whole line. Luckily they are only
They did mention that they got booted of Ebay because they were selling Redline for less than MSRP and Redline came after them. They still sell it for less than MSRP, but they don't advertise at all. Maybe Redline is taking some hard line stances against their distributors and some are just saying to H*** with it..?? They were selling motor oil for $6.95 last year, then went to $7.50. After they got slapped by Redline and don't sell on ebay anymore, the price went to $9, which is still less than Redline wanted for the 20W-60 I bought ($11.95 on Redline's site).

Getting tougher and tougher to justify RL motor oil. Only one place in my area sells it, I think it is around $10 USD/qt. Fortunately they also have RL gear lubes ATF etc which I will gladly pay $12/qt for.

Still sitting on about 9 qts 10W-30 and 21 qts 5W-20 which I got at the AAP clearance a few years back. At $5.95/qt it now appears to have been a steal. Probably stretch the OCIs out seeing the replacement cost is high.

Quote:

Getting tougher and tougher to justify RL motor oil.

The only people that really need RL are those that race and or have turbo/hi performance engines IMHO.

You can always count on ester based oils to be more money. They are more expensive base oils.

The only reason I started using it in the first place was due to the possible benefits for the flat tappet valve train in my 1970 Mustang engine. A good quality diesel offering would have been just as good I guess. I change the oil yearly and assumed that the Redline product would always be available here. I'm not going to continue using it if I have to have it shipped.

7TFord:

www.jrponline.com in Mississauga has pretty much the full line. You can drop around or order online.

I used to order from Motorsports Technology but I'm not sure if they're online anymore. They were in Concord.

I suggest you go to the Redline site and look for dealers (either from the dealer list or emailing them) instead of asking in a forum. That way you'll get a full list of dealers.

Thanks Craig.......Have done a lot of what you've suggested! Never ever got a response from JRP to several e-mails I sent them regarding placing an order online, and around that time I was paying as low as $9.99 per at my local CTC as compared to his $14.00+. I see he is asking $12.92 now for the 10/30. Guess I'll have to make the 2 hr drive one way to his outlet if I decide to continue using this oil. Also tried several retailers in the West but was told that due to our hazardous materials ruling that they couldn't/wouldn't ship. Summit racing can't ship motor oil to Canada for the same reason supposedly.

I too got my first Redline products from Motorsport Technology but Margaret there told me about a month ago that they're getting out of the product line. My last conversation was with Dave at Red Line Oil and he will be happy to send any amount to me, but I don't really want to get into the habit of having the stuff shipped from California even though the high dollar could likely make the price comparable to the total spent with the driving to JRP with gas where it is now.

It states on their website (redline.com) that they don't even ship outside of their own country. Redline has also ignored many emails I've sent them. Great product, idiot administration.

I wasn't recommending going to the web page to try to buy Redline direct, you're looking for a list of dealers. They've answered any of my emails over the last 7 years within a day, including an inquiry looking for a better local dealer near my postal code than what was immediately apparent.

Quote:

It states on their website (redline.com) that they don't even ship outside of their own country. Redline has also ignored many emails I've sent them. Great product, idiot administration.

They do sell direct and show distributors on the web site right?
bruce

Redline hasn't return my email on question regarding if I can run their 5W racing oil for endurance test of 2k miles within 3 days period. I was hoping to cut fuel consumption for my vacation coming up in a few days and need their response so I know whether their oil can hold up regular passenger car usage for 2k mile.

i been using racing oil in my mix for along time 1 qt. redline racing 30w into my 10w30..dave at redline line said that was fine...call him easy to get and he always returns emails.

Yes, I have also received speedy responses from Redline on several e-mails I've sent over the years. It was the "JRP" - Johnston Research Products folks in Toronto that wouldn't respond to any of my inquiries to order from them online. As I mentioned Dave at Redline just replied to an e-mail last week and he will ship any quantity I want from California.

I don't use a lot of the stuff and a case lasts me a long time as the car only sees limited summer driving. But as previously stated it may be getting harder to justify the price of the stuff, so I'm not going to dwell on finding a reliable source close to home. I can get any Amsoil I want to my doorstep overnight. "Craig". Can I assume you are/were getting your Red line from JRP?

I've only purchase from JRP once, by going directly to the store. I've tried other sources local to me (Oakville) recently but they've let me down (long order times, forget about my order, forget to call me to tell me its in and sell it to someone else). Years ago I used to buy from Motorsports Technology.

I only use their gear oils so I only need it every couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back