Where does your gasoline come from?

With all the attention on the Colonial Pipeline, it brought to mind the issue of where your favorite gas station gets its gasoline. I’ll go first.

My gasoline is refined in Edmonton, Alberta, and is shipped by pipeline to Calgary, Alberta, where it goes to huge storage tanks in the south east part of Calgary. It’s picked up by tanker trucks at the Shell or Esso loading racks and is shipped directly to Cranbrook and the Columbia Valley via one of two mountain passes. Typically the one way trip with the tanker is about 250 miles.

The Twin Cities Market has four or five "normal" sources.

-Flint Hills Resources Refinery: Located in Rosemount, MN. Capacity of 375,000 barrels of crude per day
-Marathon St Paul Park Refinery: In St. Paul Park,. Capacity of 104,000 barrels of crude per day
-We are connected to the Magellan pipeline system, which can bring product in or out of our area an is connected to the rest of the Central US down to the Gulf in Texas
-BP owns a pipeline that delivers gasoline from Whiting Indiana to the Nu Star Energy terminal in this area.
-Nu Star Energy operates a pipeline that can bring gasoline from the Marathon Mandan North Dakota refinery, also to the Nu Star terminal.

At one time, Superamerica gas was sole sourced from St Paul Park, BP/Amoco was from Whiting or Mandan, and Holiday was from Flint Hills only.

Last edited:
unknown (to me) Pipeline brings crude to our local refinery (most recently owned by Husky/Cenovus), after refining, piped across the road to storage tanks/ loading racks, where it is either put into tanker trucks and driven to all the local stations (with various additive recipes of course, depending on the station), or into another pipeline, and distributed across Ohio and Indiana. ( the refinery says they make about 25% of the gas sold in the state of Ohio)

lima refinery.jpg

Points on the map:
1) Refinery
2) Potash
3) Nutrien
4) Buckeye Pipeline Terminal
5) Marathon Pipeline Lima Terminal
6) JSMC - Lima Army Tank Plant ( where they make M1 Abrams tanks)
7) Former Site of Lima Locomotive Works

Last edited:
Mine comes from wherever the cheapest Top Tier station nearby. Usually that's ARCO. I don't really care where they get theirs from, but most likely one of the nearby refinery.

Mine is refined in Texas and the refined product goes through a pipeline up the eastern seaboard. From an artery off the main pipeline, it goes to a 226,000 barrel (9,492,000 gallon) terminal in Selma, NC. From there tanker trucks deliver to individual service stations. Supposedly, that represents 42% of the supply. Don't have a clue as to where the other 58% comes from.

Used to come from a refinery in Yorktown...

Western Refining was run by complete idiots... Then they shut it down. Because of their stupidity.

Now it come from the pipeline... Aka the Colonial. And the plantation spur which ends at the Amoco docks in Yorktown.

There are massive storage tanks there too.

Gas was delivered in my area last night via 18 wheelers. In fact a truck delivered gas at a station in town today.

Remember.... Those gas deliveries are set by contract.

I know one station that gets gasoline delivered 4 nights a week. Small busy stations with 4-6 pumps may well be your best bet to find gas at. Because their contract has frequent delivery of gasoline.

Or a big station 12-16 pumps that is always super duper busy... They may have contract to where they get delivery quite often too. I can think of only one station in my area that fits that description.

A majority of the fuel we use is from the federated cooperative limited or better known as Co-op. From what I gather, it uses Canadian oil, refined in Regina and for the most part, bulk trucked out.

At one time, Superamerica gas was sole sourced from St Paul Park,
You left out "in that area". Superamerica brand started as an Ashland oil brand until they were bought out by Marathon. As such, there were SA stations all over Ohio, Kentucky, WV, and PA just to name a few. Some were served by other terminals along the Ohio/Monongahela Rivers, and probably all the way to Chatanooga Tennesee.
Here in central FL, most product comes into the Port of Tampa by either barge or tanker. It can hit a pipeline there for dist to other terminals, or it can be trucked locally.
Northern FL is supplied through Colonial, out toward Tallahassee and east to Jacksonville.

Chicagoland has three large refineries that I know of and I can imagine our gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel comes from those refineries.
Most of my gas comes from the Whiting Indiana BP site. But the pipeline also goes to TX so? Use to be Phillips 66, stops off in Kankakee.

A few years ago the BP refinery had an accident that completely shut them down. It was easy to see who got the gas there s prices shot up 3 a gallon in half a day while a few miles away it never changed.

We have a few in Washington state mainly up in the northern Puget Sound area and one in Tacoma. The Tacoma refinery has a pipeline that runs to JBLM supplying jet fuel for McChord.

There are two refineries in Denver now owned by Suncor. The crude comes from the Denver-Julesburg basin according to their web site.

Years ago one refinery was owned by Total Petroleum and the other by Conoco. I visited the Total refinery several times making sales calls on the machine shop. I was instructed to leave my keys in the car when I park in case of an emergency and someone needs to move the car. It struck me as odd at first but I suppose it makes sense.

Back