When would you change the oil

Hello folks,

2006 Sentra with ~120K miles. Last oil change 08/01/2021. Mostly used for local trips. 2000 miles on this oil

Soon my wife will be taking it to work, 50 miles of the daily drive. 50-50 highway, local roads.

What would you suggest, change the oil now and then around Christmas or go till the end of Sept and change the oil so that the next oil change is in march?

I am an apt dweller so its not easy to do car work in freezing cold, hence the question.

Thanks in advance.

Hello folks,

2006 Sentra with ~120K miles. Last oil change 08/01/2021. Mostly used for local trips. 2000 miles on this oil

Soon my wife will be taking it to work, 50 miles of the daily drive. 50-50 highway, local roads.

What would you suggest, change the oil now and then around Christmas or go till the end of Sept and change the oil so that the next oil change is in march?

I am an apt dweller so its not easy to do car work in freezing cold, hence the question.

Thanks in advance.
Mostly short trips? I’d change it now. It’s been about a year since your last change.

I'd run it up to the closest even integer and change the oil and then put her on a nice 5,000 mile drain interval. If it's right at 120,000 now then change the oil and schedule the next maintenance event for 125,000. This is a good way to do your tire rotations, brake inspections and along the way add the air filter.

I'd run it up to the closest even integer and change the oil and then put her on a nice 5,000 mile drain interval. If it's right at 120,000 now then change the oil and schedule the next maintenance event for 125,000. This is a good way to do your tire rotations, brake inspections and along the way add the air filter.
I'm a strong supporter of 5K OCI, but not on this Sentra. OP didn't mention the engine, but I'm guessing a 1.8L. That engine has an oil capacity of 2.9qts. Yes, less than 3 qts, with a tiny oil filter.

@MoneyJohn Change it at no more than 3500 miles per oil change interval. Oil capacity is directly related to the length of the interval (as well as million other factors) so keep the OCIs short. Once your wife starts the longer drives - then maybe stretch to 4000 miles. But I personally would keep it at 3000 miles with full synthetic (Mobil 1 0w-40 is what I use in all my cars), as otherwise with slightly longer OCI and very low oil capacity the engine will develop oil burning issues.
Unless it already is burning/losing oil? If it is, and you top it off with new oil during the OCI, then 5k is doable, and very easy to keep track of.
But if your engine doesn't use any oil currently - keep it that way by staying with short OCIs and best oil you can get locally. Again Mobil 1 0W-40 is one of the best options available from Wal-Mart shelves. As well as Castrol Edge 0W-40, Quaker State Euro 5W-40, or Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30.

Last edited:
That engine has an oil capacity of 2.9qts. Yes, less than 3 qts, with a tiny oil filter.
Are you serious? That is crazy. I had no idea there were vehicles with sump capacities this low. Heck, if it's only 3 quarts of oil than I'd change it every few thousand miles and do the filter every other drain interval. Wow!

Are you serious? That is crazy. I had no idea there were vehicles with sump capacities this low. Heck, if it's only 3 quarts of oil than I'd change it every few thousand miles and do the filter every other drain interval. Wow!
Yep.

Why crazy? Doesn't a typical Chevy or Ford 5 liter V8 have a 5 quart pan? By that ratio, the Nissan 1.6 engine should have a 1.6 quart pan.

Why crazy? Doesn't a typical Chevy or Ford 5 liter V8 have a 5 quart pan? By that ratio, the Nissan 1.6 engine should have a 1.6 quart pan.
I don't think engine displacement and oil capacity are directly proportional... Oil has no business inside the combustion chamber. Amount of moving parts (3-cyl Mitsubishi vs 10-cyl Ford for example), duty cycles, and intended usage (eco commuter vs track toy) would probably be the factors to dictate the oil capacity. But either way, a 2.9qt capacity on a 4-cylinder 1.8L engine is too low.

The amount of oil not in the pan but up inside the block is less than a quart for most any engine. Any amount over that is just reserve. That's why you hear people having to add 3 or 4 quarts to a car they bought and which was running just fine.

No, you have been living under a rock. Current 5.3 takes 8 qt and the current 5.0 Coyote takes 8.8 quarts.

Change it or leave. It's up to you. Which ever direction you go by. does not make any difference. Just make sure you change the oil (in your case Syn High Mileage recommended) every 5K miles.

Last edited:
I'd follow the manufacture recommendation in the owner's manual. General Motors was good for putting 4 q sumps in their big v8 engines. I agree with the comment made by Escape08 above.

I'd follow the manufacture recommendation in the owner's manual. General Motors was good for putting 4 q sumps in their big v8 engines. I agree with the comment made by Escape08 above.
They're not doing that anymore, and haven't been for decades. Must've learned that it wasn't a good idea...
Anyways, Nissan recommends API SL 5w-30, or 10w30/10w40 if ambient temps allow. Recommended OCI per Nissan is 3750 miles for both oil+filter.
My recommendations for oil are in previous messages. Why use bare minimum requirements oil, when premium flagship oils are nearly same price?
Screenshot_20220728-201928_(1).jpg

Back