Which of the following vehicles would you

Status
Not open for further replies.
An SUV will I think in every case make a more comfortable ride for your "fast growing midgets."

But if reliability is your biggest concern, and comfort secondary, I'd get the Tundra. The Tacoma is just as good of a truck for its size, and will get better mpg, but it will not make the kids as happy in the back.

Many on this site seem to think the Tundra V8 is one of the best available, particularly in how easy it is on oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Ramblin Fever:
TomH - are the 4.0L's in the new 2005-06 Xterra's the VQ series engines with timing chains?

Yes. It is the VQ40DE, bigger brother to the VQ35DE used in various other Nissan/Infiniti vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Jedi:
thats why I smoked one of those 265 HP xterra in my 03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4. they aint all that. I pulled away from him and he was cussing.

From Truck Trend's Road Test Review:

2005 Dakota Quad Cab Laramie 4.7, 5 spd. auto
0-60: 8.9

2006 Nissan Xterra 4.0, 5 spd. auto
0-60: 7.7

I'd say that Xterra driver was one of the worlds' worst drivers. There's no way in h*ll you'd "smoke" an Xterra with a 6 speed tranny and a competent driver behind the wheel. Even an Xterra with the auto tranny and an average driver could pull away from your Dakota with relative ease.

quote:

I would go TOYO, DODGE, and not consider the nissian. to me junk and very small compared to the dakota and tundra.

Well, DUH!
pat.gif
The Tundra is Toyota's 7/8ths version of a full size truck. Of course it's going to be bigger than a Frontier, or even a Dakota.

quote:

heck the taco is bigger than the frontier.

I'll assume by "taco" you mean Tacoma. If you check the specs of these two trucks, the only two exterior dimensions that the Tacoma beats the Frontier at are total length and wheelbase, and not by more than 3 inches in either one. Your Dakota is a pig by comparison to both, and more dead weight usually means less fuel mileage, but not necessarily better safety.

[ April 11, 2006, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Easy: stay away from Dodge.

The newely redesigned Tundra is due out this fall.
If you can wait several months, the new Tundra launch will severely depress the used ones prices.
You could actually get a brand new current model Tundra at a huge discount near the time when the new one launches and Toyota starts clearing out the lots for the new model.

quote:

Originally posted by TomH:
Nissan 4.0 V6
265HP @ 5600 RPM
284LBFT @ 4000 RPM

Dodge 4.7 V8
235HP @ 4400 RPM
290LBFT @ 3500 RPM

Given that the Nissan is a V6 and gives up .7 liters of displacement to the Dodge's V8, and only lacks 6 foot pounds of torque, the 4.7 really doesn't look all that special, or strong.

More torque and at 500 rpm lower = a significant "seat of the pants" difference you can feel in everyday driving (or towing).

It depends on how much you want to tow. A v-6 Tacoma with the towing package is rated at 6500 pounds. That's all will ever need in the forseeable future. I find that and tha Tundra to be very good deals. The Frontier is peppy but after driving both a Frontier and a Tacoma I ended up back with a Toyota. Certain aspects that raw numbers don't convey such as drivability and of course options. I was sold on having an inverter and a factory Tow package that even if I don't tow will add longevity to my vehicle.
The Tundras are getting great rebates.. You can get new ones for great deals. When the difference between a new and used truck is 1-2k dollars I know what I want. I want the one that I get to break in and maintain from delivery.

To me unless you are paying cash I am having a very hard time seeing the differnce in buying a $21 k used truck and a 24-25k new one(considering the differnt interest rates between new and used). Find a big volume dealer and haggle. They are actually trying to move trucks right now before the new Tundra is released to increase allocations of the new Tundra, the Money maker.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by TomH:
Nissan 4.0 V6
265HP @ 5600 RPM
284LBFT @ 4000 RPM

Dodge 4.7 V8
235HP @ 4400 RPM
290LBFT @ 3500 RPM

Given that the Nissan is a V6 and gives up .7 liters of displacement to the Dodge's V8, and only lacks 6 foot pounds of torque, the 4.7 really doesn't look all that special, or strong.

More torque and at 500 rpm lower = a significant "seat of the pants" difference you can feel in everyday driving (or towing).

In addition, unless you have a CVT, it's not peak power or torque that matters, but the torque and power curves.

Personally, I would go with the Dakota. Properly maintained, one with a 4.7L and manual should last a while. They are also fairly easy to maintain.

3.4L Tacomas and 4Runners have a terrible oil filter location. You have to get to it through the wheel well and can't really see what you are doing. They also have a kind of odd parking brake lever that I don't really like. Other than that, they are fairly good trucks, but not nearly as roomy as the Dakota. They obviously are not as powerful either.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
The max torque spec doesn't tell the whole story. It would be more meaningful to see a diagram of the entire torque curve across the rpm range. From the spec we can only see that the Nissan engine has to be revved higher to deliver similar amount of torque.

500 RPMs, IMHO, isn't that much more of a stretch to get an almost equal amount of torque. And, If you've ever driven a vehicle with a Nissan VQ series V6 in it, you'd know what sweet, willing to rev engines these things are.

I'd love to see the torque curve of the VQ40DE also, but it appears that as of now there are none posted anywhere on the net.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Have you started a savings plan for the midgets' education? Are you and your wife putting $9000 into your IRA's?

Just curious - what does this have to do with my question about which vehicle you'd all choose?

Yes, for what it's worth I'm doing my best financially to make sure all ends are met, now and in the future. Yes, in all reality, life in general is getting expensive, but irregardless, you still have to make it fun for the kids, as well as yourself, in taking them on weekend adventures, vacations, etc. otherwise, what's the true point in living?

I completely understand one needs to save, and prepare for the future, but you ALSO have to live life at the same time, otherwise where's the joy?

I do NOT need a vehicle for heavy hauling, but I do need a vehicle that can handle being daily driven down majorly rough roads on construction sites (in which a car is out of the question, not enough clearance) and at the same time, IF that vehicle is capable for mild towing as well as two growing midgets.

The two current daily drivers we own are an '85 Toyota p/up which we've owned for 20yrs and over 280k and a '97 Isuzu Rodeo with 155k.

We are not looking to part with the Rodeo as of yet, but let's face it, the Toyota's "extended cab" is no longer working with an 11yr old boy who's the height of a 15yr old and a 6yr old boy who will fit anywhere, but is still required to sit in a carseat. The carseat will not fit in an old extended cab pickup, in which he has to ride in the front of the truck, leaving the tall son to ride behind the seat all cramped up.

Honestly, after 20yrs of being beat around in this particular vehicle, I think we've earned the right to take some money from our savings and shell a bit on a new(er) vehicle. No one said I was buying brand-new, but I DO have the right to make my children comfortable while they continue to grow.

Even if that shorts them a bit for college in the future, that's why they will be working part-time to assist, just as I did with my parents.

Is hauling a boat a necessity? If not, why not something smaller? The four of us are quite comfortable in a CR-V on long trips. And better mpg than anything mentioned so far. Just a thought.

I don't know if I've mentioned it, but this vehicle would be needed for daily driving on a construction site mated to some serious rough roads where clearance and a "truck" suspension is needed.

Personally, I'm sorry, but a CR-V wouldn't last a week. Though they do look comfy.

Yes, boat hauling would be a part of this truck's regimen.

The way gas prices are going, that may be the best idea yet. I think at this point, anybody buying something should carefully look over their real needs. If you are really doing enough hauling, that you need something like that, better consider the diesels and the better mileage they get.

I am not a peak oil alarmist, but I am afraid we are nearing the end of the cheap gas era. It is plain going to be more expensive to keep many of our toys going. Be looking for life style changes you can make to reduce the energy you use.

I think my Cavalier has a 1000 pound trailer capacity. With a cheap utility trailer, I could make most of the runs home from Lowes with it. For the heavy work, Home Depot has a real truck for $20 for the first hour.

Have you started a savings plan for the midgets' education? Are you and your wife putting $9000 into your IRA's?

Xterra 6-speed manual with tow and off-road plus utility trailer and perhaps later on, quality aftermarket roof racks (Thule or Kakima).

When you replace the Rodeo, get a used 2006 Tundra double cab with the V8, 4wd and tow package. It being the last model year, I expect you'll get a good deal in three years.

The VQ engine in the Xterra is bullet proof for 250k miles easy. As I'm sure you know, in addition, the Xterra is body on frame and a very rugged package.

The 2002 Tundra double cab rear seat is too small and your kids will outgrow it in a few years. For now, with the Xterra towing a boat with a roof rack to put bikes and maybe a cargo carrier you'll be able to handle any family vacation scenario.

The utility trailer will still be nice when you get the double cab when you don't want the truck to get potential abuse.

Almost a shame to get rid of your Toyota pick-up, they don't make them like that anymore and you've just got it broke in
smile.gif

As an old Mopar guy, I reluctantly say that the Tundra is probably the best truck of the group you list. I have to admit, I get lost on the economics of foreign vehicles and would have to think long and hard before going for the Toyota. The '07's Tundra's are at the doorstep, so you're talking $21K for a five year old vehicle. You don't mention how much the '04 Dak is, but I bet it is a lot less.

The thing that bugs me about foreign cars is that everything is so much more expensive. I just read another thread where a fellow looking at a cat replacement for his Honda/Acura is $1100 (cdn.). My daughter just bought an '02 Maxima. A month after she got it, she hit a pothole and bent the front strut. The dealer wanted $750 to replace it. My point is that maybe some things won't need repairing as often on the Toyota, but boy when they do, hold on to your wallet.

I know of many Dakotas that have pushed the 300K mark without any major issues. They are a safe, solid truck with a great engine. The tranny issues have pretty much been resolved. One that is a few years old, letting the original owner take the depreciation hit IMHO would be a better VALUE than the Tundra at the end of the day.

I have had 2 tundras. The first one was a 2000 which I drove over 220K of hard miles, many offroad and many towing a trailer. The second one is an '05. so far it doesn't have many miles.

The earlier tundra's (like mine) had brake problems and transmission problems (which in toyota speak means that occasionally you would hear of someones tranny breaking). I never had a tranny problem - but did go through brakes about every 20K.

I would not hesitate to buy a low mileage tundra.

They do have timing belts which need to be replaced. I did mine at 120K, then sold the truck before I had to do it again.

I say get the Dakota. I am on my second Durango. The first was a 2000 SLT. It was bullet proof. No problems at all. I put 130,000+ miles on it before I traded it in for my second one. 2003 SLT. I have 65,000+ miles on this one and the same thing, no problems. I use ALL synthetic fluids throughout. Great vehicle and will probably get another Dodge when this one hits 300,000+ miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back