Which of the following vehicles would you

Status
Not open for further replies.
say is the most reliable, easiest to maintain as well as less maintenance in general?

I have no issues with changing oil, antifreeze, or tranny fluids - I'm asking which of the vehicles would have less major maintenance items as time comes on, within reason of course. Parts do wear out, I understand, but which is less likely to have that problem.

Toyota Tundra 4.8L (IIRC)- found a NICE used one for $21k with only 23k miles. 2002 4x4 double cab automatic

Toyota Tacoma 3.4L - Just pondering, can't seem to find the quad cab for less then the Tundra's, would have to be used, can't afford new. Extended cab won't work - have 2 midgets that are growing fast.

Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - 4.7L V8 (IIRC) 5-speed, found a 2004 with 67k miles. Will NOT buy an automatic Dodge Dakota, 5-speeds are hard to find.

2005-2006 Nissan Xterra - 4.0L engine mated to either 6-speed manual or 5-speed auto, this is the only SUV I'm interested in in this size range. Not interested in the 2000-2004 years, engine will not due as I would need it to, as it was much smaller.

Any and all opinions would be great. The vehicle would be mostly a daily driver as well as an occasional boat hauler as long as it's up to the task.

Would also like opinions on how durable a Toyota and Nissan automatic tranny is?

In my opinion, the Toyotas are good. Toyota has in the last few years improved alot. I would stay away from the Dodge...a few of my friends have the Dakokta 4.7 and it seems they spent more time in the shop. No thought on the Nissan. Consumer Reports might be a good source for research...since through them you can get the recall, Technical Service Bulletins (TSB), and consumers comments. Good luck, when you ask this question to a 100 people, you'll get 100 different opinons. At the end, it will only matter if you are happy.
canada.gif

A friend has a Dakota, and it's pretty gross in every way and hard to stay on top of problems.
If you're hauling your own children around, you might consider crash-worthiness: Light trucks have different standards from passenger vehicles. But I believe Toyota has decent crash protection in their light trucks.

Wife has a 2003 4.7 Durango w/automatic and Chrysler has worked the bugs out of their auto transmissions. This is the 5 speed auto and it has done very well for us. Have heard of balljoint problems but our 2003 supposedly wasn't one of the recalled ones. She has only a couple minor problems with her Durango (tailgate latch needed adjusted, reflash computer for rough idling) which were covered under warranty. Chrysler 4.7 is a very strong engine and I used it to tow a car hauler in the mountains of WV. I was impressed with the towing ability.

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Chrysler 4.7 is a very strong engine.

Nissan 4.0 V6
265HP @ 5600 RPM
284LBFT @ 4000 RPM

Dodge 4.7 V8
235HP @ 4400 RPM
290LBFT @ 3500 RPM

Given that the Nissan is a V6 and gives up .7 liters of displacement to the Dodge's V8, and only lacks 6 foot pounds of torque, the 4.7 really doesn't look all that special, or strong.

I won't even bother posting the specs of the Dodge 3.7L V6, it's so outclassed here that it isn't even worth mentioning.

I'll agree with gr8gatzby and choose the Xterra.

You would most likely never have a problem with a yota or nissan auto.
They both have drain plugs so with your frequent servicing they should hold up.
My dads 01 Supercharged crew cab has 115k with nothing but drain and fills about every 15k.
Still shifts great.
A friend of mine has a 97 4runer with about 160k and it has ben negleted and used very hard in some off road situations but it also works great.

The Dodge Dakota has a history of losing wheels due to dry ball joints that break apart. Whether or not Chrysler resolved that problem, don't know.
shocked.gif

The Toyota Tundra has an excellent history, and is the truck I would buy if I was in the market for one.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
The Dodge Dakota has a history of losing wheels due to dry ball joints that break apart. Whether or not Chrysler resolved that problem, don't know.
shocked.gif

They have redesigned the ball joints. There is a recall for 600,000 2000-2003.5 model year Dakaota's and Durango 4x4 models to fix these ball joints. 4x2 models just have the warranty extended out to 100,000 miles and replaced as needed.

Hootbro

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/12/10/300998.html

quote:

Originally posted by TomH:
Given that the Nissan is a V6 and gives up .7 liters of displacement to the Dodge's V8, and only lacks 6 foot pounds of torque, the 4.7 really doesn't look all that special, or strong.

The max torque spec doesn't tell the whole story. It would be more meaningful to see a diagram of the entire torque curve across the rpm range. From the spec we can only see that the Nissan engine has to be revved higher to deliver similar amount of torque.

Tundra would be my first choice. Super reliable, you knock off more depreciation from the price since it's a '02 vs. the Xterra. Dodge not even a contender in this group.

Nissans are nice until they start to need engine repairs = expensive and more complex than the Toyotas.
Get the Tundra - very nice trucks.

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
Nissans are nice until they start to need engine repairs = expensive and more complex than the Toyotas..

That's true. I dunno what it is with nissan's truck V6's. They are tough to get around under the hood. Complicated top ends, t-belts, ec.. I do like nissan's AT's, although yota's are awesome as well. If you can pay up, toyota is your best bet.

G/luck
Joel

Ramblin,
I'm biased,I own an '02 Tundra AC 4x4 74k since new.
And two Camrys.
It has been a very good vehicle.
Only problem was abs needed a new brain at 34k.
Luckily it was under warranty.
2004 was the first year for the four real door Double Cab.The backseat of my truck is tiny.
I have had to ride there instead of bigger family members.
There have been issues of brakes'00-02. And some trans od gears taking out the trans in '00-'01.Do not tow in OD.
I have done all my own maintenance except the fuel filter.It was too hard to get to.
Hopefully you get on that has been taken care of.
Even neglect can make good vehicles a gamble.

Don't buy a dodge.

The Tacoma should give a little better milage than Tundra. I'd go with that.

Nissan would be my second choice.

quote:

Originally posted by JTK:

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
Nissans are nice until they start to need engine repairs = expensive and more complex than the Toyotas..

That's true. I dunno what it is with nissan's truck V6's. They are tough to get around under the hood. Complicated top ends, t-belts, ec..
G/luck
Joel

Can it be anymore difficult then Isuzu V6's??
lol.gif

I'm reading more and more into the complication of the Nissan engines, and the more I read, the more I don't like.

It's really looking pretty strongly towards Toyota for - eventually - both replacement drivers.

I have done some eliminations in my thinking - Dodge gas engine is out, they come cheap, but could be problematic mechanically, gas eating appearently as well.

Chevy Colorado/I-350 is out, I've heard from several mechanics, some dealer techs, some independant shop owners that the Inline 5 is proving to be more troublesome then it's bigger brother, the 4.2 Inline6.

Now if I could put the 4.2 Inline6 in the Colorado or the Nissan that be GREAT! I'm afraid the body/undercarriage of the Trailblazer would get mangled in the places we go to in the Summer - and I don't want to have to shell out extra money to "prepare" a higher ground clearance suspension.

Keep the opinions coming, very interesting.

quote:

Originally posted by JTK:
t-belts, ec..

All Nissan VQ series V6s have a timing chain, not a belt. You are more than likely thinking about the older VG series engines, which did have a timing belt.

quote:

Originally posted by TomH:

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Chrysler 4.7 is a very strong engine.

Nissan 4.0 V6
265HP @ 5600 RPM
284LBFT @ 4000 RPM

Dodge 4.7 V8
235HP @ 4400 RPM
290LBFT @ 3500 RPM

I won't even bother posting the specs of the Dodge 3.7L V6, it's so outclassed here that it isn't even worth mentioning.

I'll agree with gr8gatzby and choose the Xterra.

thats why I smoked one of those 265 HP xterra in my 03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4. they aint all that. I pulled away from him and he was cussing. the only downside id this being a small V-8 it gets poor MPG. I can get 24 HWY. but the only prob I have had with this truck was the power window switch on the passenger side, and a evap code. other than that the trucks been solid. have towed some and hauled really heavy stuff in the back and you dont even feel it when you hit the gas.

also dodge finally came out with the jeep 4.7 HO engine. here are the spec of it. can yo usay it will smoke that lil nissian 6 banger.

4.7-liter V8 high-output engine makes 260 horsepower at 5,200 RPM and 310 pounds-feet of torque at 3,500 RPM. so can yo usay 16 more tourqe at 500 rpm less. also almost the same HP at 400 RPM less. as we all know tourqe is what win races lol.

but first choice would be TOYOTA. their trucks are really tough. knew a guy who had a base model tacoma (TACO in the dodge boards lol.) beat the crap out of this truck and still went and never burned oil.

you want to talk about crash protection. the dakota wins hands down. my sister had a 99. was in the hwy. granted her tire rod snapped and spun the truck out. she hit the guard rail at 70 MPH . took out the whole side of the truck. and both walked away with out a scratch. one prob with japaneese vehicle. they crumple like tissue paper. also my sisters dodge was repaired and still going till this day.

I have see charts for the 4.7. I can see if I can find it. from what I saw of them. the trourqe never drops off once it hits its peak. stays the same through out the RPM range. where as other engines I have seen they peak and drop way down before leveling out.

every vehicle has their major recalls. toyo isnt no better than dodge. so in the end its what you want. I like my dodge its been great. if I could of affored the toyo. I would of had that. but they charge an arm and a leg for their trucks. I would go TOYO, DODGE, and not consider the nissian. to me junk and very small compared to the dakota and tundra. heck the taco is bigger than the frontier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back