When/where do fuel additives get added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that different gas stations have different additives than others such as shell vs mom and pop etc. So where does the additives get put in at? I work as a fuels person on a military base so our stuff is pretty bare bones. Our pumps do not have anything than inject as we are pumping and our bulk tanks have nothing either. Our trucks come in with a numbered seal for tampering purposes. We usually take what ever the truck has. Lets say the local Shell puts in a request for 2,000 gallons. Does the shell additives get injected where the truck loads the fuel? To the best of my knowledge all 87 fuel is the same and then BP, shell etc. makes it theirs by adding the additives. Is there a specific fuel loading spot for the local shell trucks to fill at? Usually additives are injected as the fuel is being received into the storage tank or it can be injected at the fill stand. I have been in the military fuel career field for 10 years mostly dealing with jet fuel but always wondered how the civilian gas stations worked.

I've often wondered this myself....especially since the same trucks seem to deliver to all the gas stations that I pass on my way home from work.

They mention it here (briefly), this may help:

http://www.t-r-i.com/gifs/xGasoline Quality.pdf

Originally Posted By: stygz
I know that different gas stations have different additives than others such as shell vs mom and pop etc. So where does the additives get put in at? I work as a fuels person on a military base so our stuff is pretty bare bones. Our pumps do not have anything than inject as we are pumping and our bulk tanks have nothing either. Our trucks come in with a numbered seal for tampering purposes. We usually take what ever the truck has. Lets say the local Shell puts in a request for 2,000 gallons. Does the shell additives get injected where the truck loads the fuel? To the best of my knowledge all 87 fuel is the same and then BP, shell etc. makes it theirs by adding the additives. Is there a specific fuel loading spot for the local shell trucks to fill at? Usually additives are injected as the fuel is being received into the storage tank or it can be injected at the fill stand. I have been in the military fuel career field for 10 years mostly dealing with jet fuel but always wondered how the civilian gas stations worked.

I have fuel tanks here at home, diesel on road, diesel off-road, and gasoline. My dealer has told me additives are added at the time of filling the truck at the pipeline distribution hub. I can't answer if this is how every delivery tanker operates, but this is how my delivery truck does it.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I have fuel tanks here at home, diesel on road, diesel off-road, and gasoline. My dealer has told me additives are added at the time of filling the truck at the pipeline distribution hub. I can't answer if this is how every delivery tanker operates, but this is how my delivery truck does it.

This would seem to be the most logical way (at the fill stand). We used a hammonds injector at our fill stands for certain additives in jet fuel. So I wonder if all fuel brands use the same additives but at a different rate? Advertising would lead us to believe shell and chevron use different additives.

Reading the article and with my experience working on a military base service station I have not ever seen a pump that allows injection at the pump. That would be interesting to see

I have seen a delivery tank driver getting out a supermarket-size brown bag and emptying it into the underground tank at my neighbourhood 76 station. And I talked to my Costco manager - they have a modern underground additive tank system with the metered pump. So, looks like the answer is: it varies.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
I have seen a delivery tank driver getting out a supermarket-size brown bag and emptying it into the underground tank at my neighbourhood 76 station. And I talked to my Costco manager - they have a modern underground additive tank system with the metered pump. So, looks like the answer is: it varies.

This would be a very poor way in add additives (if that is what it was) to just dump it into the tank.

Around me there are two pipeline terminals that deliver 90% of the gas to various stations, Shell, BP, Casey's, Phillips, and others. The additives are added when the tanker is filled before delivery to the station. Ethanol included.

Virtually all additives that go into any fuel, as specified by the retailer, is done at the fuel terminal when the tanker is loaded. I used to haul fuels. It is interesting to swipe a card that lays out the specs for the end retailer, then watch various lights go on with different tanks as they inject additive into the stream being loaded in to the truck tanker. There might be an occasional outlet that does its own fuel dosing, but that is not the norm. Not sure why they would anyway because of the substantial increased cost they incur to have such a setup at their location, monitor it, and pass all other regulatory requirements. Then there is also the liability issues involved. If their additive system goofs up either way, too little or too less, they run the risk of consumer litigation. Why take on that headache? Just have the fuel blended to what you need at the distribution point and then delivered to the retailer. Now, there are many ethanol blender pumps coming on the scene that will allow consumer to select the blend they want at the pump. In my area, that could be E10, E15, E20, E30, or E85. Those have their own potential issues, and many retailers don't want to fiddle with it. Imagine the blender pump, after the consumer selects E10, actually filling the vehicle with E30 or E85.

Sometimes I get the idea that many average consumers have a very limited scope when it comes to how they get the stuff they buy and what goes on behind the scenes. The regulatory and civil litigation issues really play a major role in how things are done. No retailer is going to stick their junk in front of a sliding patio door and dare someone to slam it shut.

The gas companies advertise their gas a pure of better in some way but in reality the only thing directly related to the gas and the company brand selling it is the additive recipe.

Originally Posted by stygz
Originally Posted by Y_K

This would be a very poor way in add additives (if that is what it was) to just dump it into the tank.

That's basically what Costco does. It's got to be dumped in first so that the delivered fuel "splash blends" the additive into the fuel.

Some gas stations have fuel additives in the gas. Though in every 5 gallons there is only one or two additives in there, and that is just usually just getting to the surface of fuel injector cleaning. To get the best cleaning and better performer fluids you should buy the additives that are actually only sold in the store as additives. Everything they put in every additive is basically the same thing, just sold in a different label, and some companies have more than others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bonnelvr92
Some gas stations have fuel additives in the gas. Though in every 5 gallons there is only one or two additives in there, and that is just usually just getting to the surface of fuel injector cleaning. To get the best cleaning and better performer fluids you should buy the additives that are actually only sold in the store as additives. Everything they put in every additive is basically the same thing, just sold in a different label, and some companies have more than others.

I've read your posts on gasoline additives and you have no idea what you're talking about. All gasoline sold in the US has a minimum concentration of additive unless they are in violation of EPA rules. And it is not "only one or two", please check out what is actually required before you post this nonsense again.

Also I asked you earlier how do you know what is in the additives sold in stores? If you are so dubious about what is in the gasoline how do you know what's in those little bottles of the stuff you're peddling from the dollar store?

And what does 5 gallons have to do with it?

Originally Posted by y_p_w

That's basically what Costco does. It's got to be dumped in first so that the delivered fuel "splash blends" the additive into the fuel.

I've seen a Brenntag Pacific or a Quality Carriers truck at the local Costco that wasn't placarded for gas - they have an on-site injection setup to meter and dispense their additive which I believe is a Lubrizol product.

Having the truck driver dump it at the POS from a container won't work. For one, it does violate air quality laws and it's a closed loop system of transferring fuel into a storage tank.

Local station here puts additive in his tank during refill from the tanker truck he uses PRI-G in all grades included E0 and it is the best fuel available in town.

Ok then how come my car then runs worse with the additives in Golf then in marathon, because there is less. And if there was more than one or two, then how come stp makes there own gas, and their own additives separately.

The stuff I use from the dollar store actually says to check your owners manual to see if all the ingredients will run properly in your car. And with anything I have saw peddling dollar tree additives work just as good as Walmart except one twelfth of the price. I am proud of what I "peddle" in my car. The stuff from the dollar store even says it has 15% methanol in it, so at least they are truthful about what may be bad for your car. Plus I have a 27 year old car, and a almost 50 year old car. I am the master of additives. I have to use them once, or sometimes twice a year in each vehicle. Peddling
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back