When to replace fuel injectors?

Acura TL in signature just rolled 117 thousand miles. Rock Auto sent me a link/email with there whole sale on parts for the Acura. They had remanufactured Beck/Arnley fuel injectors for 66% off regular price which brought them down to $11.63 a piece with no core charge. Anyways, I ordered 7 of them and just received them Thursday August 27th. Reason I ordered 7 of them instead of 6 is because -- if one does not seem to work right initially. As for right now, I have the same MPG as always and no codes or negative fuel system/engine conditions. Have been running Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner since about 80,xxx every 3000 miles paired with Sunoco 91 octane."QUESTION", at what point do you pull the factory fuel injectors and install the remanufactured ones I just purchased??

Ps. Hope everybody is having a safe/happy weekend!!!
Dale

Last edited:
Good question.
I'm at 160,000 on original Fuel Injectors.

Have to spend 'my' time and money on replacing original RUBBER components like Coolant Hoses, Brake Hoses and Transmission Hoses.
Then I will look at the Starter.

Save the original Injectors / for awhile at least.

I wouldn't touch the originals until something prompted me to do so....ie: a drop in MPG, rough running etc.....your regular use of Techron and quality gasoline would lead me to believe your OE injectors are fine....

My old RAV4 went to the to junkyard with the original injectors. Needed to use some Techron in the fuel tank after 300k miles to keep them working properly.

Acura TL in signature just rolled 117 thousand miles. Rock Auto sent me a link/email with there whole sale on parts for the Acura. They had remanufactured Beck/Arnley fuel injectors for 66% off regular price which brought them down to $11.63 a piece with no core charge. Anyways, I ordered 7 of them and just received them Thursday August 27th. Reason I ordered 7 of them instead of 6 is because -- if one does not seem to work right initially. As for right now, I have the same MPG as always and no codes or negative fuel system/engine conditions. Have been running Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner since about 80,xxx every 3000 miles paired with Sunoco 91 octane."QUESTION", at what point do you pull the factory fuel injectors and install the remanufactured ones I just purchased??

Dale

When you see a decrease in performance, higher fuel trims or about 150K with these, at that mileage the filters are probably dirty enough to reduce flow and the spray pattern is probably no longer optimal, these use an 8 very small diameter hole nozzle.
This is in general, some injectors are very sensitive and at 60-80K loose a lot of performance, others go much longer without issue.

You cannot compare one injector type to another that may be used on different engines as an indicator. Generally nozzles with smaller holes and a fine multi stream pattern on multi valve heads suffer from spray pattern deterioration more than say a forced induction large nozzle injector.

As you can see here, there are many variations and all have different characteristics.

CCF11112018_0001.jpg

CCF11112018.jpg

Last edited:
You don't replace fuel injectors 'just because' they have to be giving you some sort of reason to replace. The injectors on my 88 F-150 have only been replaced once and that was because I was an idiot and tried to run some old gas that promptly clogged them..

Good question.
I'm at 160,000 on original Fuel Injectors.

Have to spend 'my' time and money on replacing original RUBBER components like Coolant Hoses, Brake Hoses and Transmission Hoses.
Then I will look at the Starter.

Save the original Injectors / for awhile at least.
I have new OEM brake hoses and may get around to replacing them if our cooling trend continues. Probably not.

I replaced mine in my Tacoma at 222,000 miles only because a code. Don't replace them if it isn't necessary plus you don't have many miles on the vehicle.

Most vehicles make it to the junk yard on their original injectors in my experience. The one exception is my last Ford which couldn’t make it more than 25K before having an injector failure.

Dale
Hello! I have 348,942 miles on my Toyota sienna van. It still runs great on the original injectors. Until you have problems, why replace them?

For a transverse V6, if you need to replace one of the rear injectors (odd number cylinders 1/3/5), replace all three.
If you need to replace one of the front injectors (even numbers 2/4/6), you can replace only one since it's less difficult.

The last time I had to replace an injector was on a 4th gen Maxima, a known problem in those cars. They also used soft metal screws, so the head galled, so I had to use a vice grip to remove the screw. I replaced them with something a Maxima forum recommended. I used a Bosch NEW injector (reboxed OE), and thankfully it was in the front and not the back!66

If we were talking about an older fuel injection system such as a Bosch KE-Jetronic system (on European cars from the 1970s-early 1990s), you might be justified in changing the fuel injectors at 100,000 miles due to varnish build-up. These mechanical injection systems are known for being extremely intolerant of ethanol (and especially intolerant of sitting for any period of time with ethanol gas). But even then, I've seen those cars come right back to normal condition by running techron or other cleaners through the system. The fuel distributors on those cars would be a different story... but that's for another conversation.

For any post 1990s modern car, I wouldn't even think of changing a fuel injector unless the ECU throws a trouble code. I've seen late 90s cars sit for a whole year with ethanol gas in the lines, and the system would be fine after some moderate cleaning.

Back