When to do the first oil change on a new engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

THE Technique:
0-500 miles:
drive it like you were taking a girl on a first date - take it easy, get her to know you, show her the ropes.
cHange oil + filter at 500 miles.

500 - 1000 miles:
its your second date. Show her that you're interested but willing to work to earn her affection and love.
change oil + filter at 1000 miles.

1000 miles and beyond:
Now show her your true self!!!! :evil:
0-60 WOT runs, WOT forced downshifts through turns, etc.......

drive it like you stole it!!
follow whatever procedure you want to change the oil.[/QB]

grin.gif
at that analogy.
Okay, I got the point. Quick question though. I didn't show her my true self after 1k. Didn't do my first wide open run until about 3k. Now have 10k. Does that mean that it is too late for me to use your technique and ensure maximum engine life? If I started driving the sh$t out of it couple times a week now, can I be forgiven for my sins?

Patman, JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THE FIRST THING THAT I DID WITH TWO VEHICLES I BOUGHT
WAS TO CHANGE THE OIL AND FILTER AS SOON AS I DROVE THEM HOME FROM THE DEALER. I KNOW IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE OBSESSIVE. MIKEYOILNUTT
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mikeyoilnutt:
Patman, JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THE FIRST THING THAT I DID WITH TWO VEHICLES I BOUGHT
WAS TO CHANGE THE OIL AND FILTER AS SOON AS I DROVE THEM HOME FROM THE DEALER. I KNOW IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE OBSESSIVE. MIKEYOILNUTT
cool.gif

It's not obsessive at all. I forgot to mention on one of my new cars, a 95 Trans Am I bought new, I changed the oil the day after I bought it! That's because the car was originally built in Sept 1994, but I bought it new from the dealer in Jan 1996. So even though the car was new, it's oil was 18 months old, and I'm sure the engine had been started and shut off many times without being fully warmed up. That original oil was probably in rough shape as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back