When to do a oil analysis on a new vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what mileage should you start with a oil analysis with a new vehicle? Do it too soon, it's still breaking in and you have lot more metal particles floating around. Wait till the 5000, 10,000 or what mileages range for the first analysis?

I will give you an idea Monday or Tues. I just sent a 3100mi sample in on my 09 Altima. I have driven it 50/50 with a couple of 175mi freeway trips. The problem is I only have 15722 total miles on the vehicle and I got it in August 09. I have done 6 oil changes up to the point of my analysis to flush it and I want to see if my flushing worked at all. So just wait, I know we don't have the same engines, but it may give you a better idea of when you want to do a UOA. You could always do it like dave said and just watch it trend down but I really think it is a waste of money to do one within the first 3-4 Oil changes or 12K.

Hi,
powayroger - IMO the first UOA (including PQ Index) should be done at the first OC. This is a great starting point for trending

If you don't plan to trend (continually undertake UOAs at each OCI) don't waste your money on random UOAs

I changed my oil at 500 miles, and again at 1500 miles. At 3000 miles, I took a sample for the purpose of setting a baseline for trending and changed my oil again.

My next oil change/sample will occur at 6K miles.

Then 10K. Then every 5K after that.

Like Doug said,if you want to track engine condition, all in or forget it.

I'm daring to sorta-kinda disagree with him on the usefulness/cost-effectiveness (but not the technical interest) of break in oil UOAs. Given his level of experience vs mine, that's pretty cheeky, I know. If you had lots of experience on a particular engine and could read the break-in "tea leaves," maybe, yeah, you could tell something but I just don't see any benefit. They are very noisy UOAs, if you know what I mean. Itcould be that I don't understand something Doug does, so I ain't gonna die defending that particular hill ( : < ). But...

I see UOAs serving two purposes:

1) trending to monitor engine condition and,

2) sampling to determine an OCI.

If you do #1, you must do it every OCI and, for the most accurate results, do particle analysis... which will cost double what the oil change cost, even if you buy top dollar oil and filters. #2 will usually come as part of that package because you'll likely get TBN and NItration and Oxidation, etc. On a passenger vehicle, lightly stressed and likely to last forever anyway, I don't see a huge cost benefit. With a six month, 5K mile OCI, a major failure would like come between OCIs. You'd be lucky to catch it. High dollar, hard worked commercial equipment and fleets, where downtime costs big money and sampling is ongoing (not just at OCI), sure. Makes sense there.

To do #2, you start with a broken in engine that has been using the oil you want to use at least one OCI before you UOA. Run a UOA at whatever OCI you choose (carefully choose). Make sure you get at least the TBN analysis, if it's not included. Adjust the OCI until you can see that you are getting all you can out of the oil in your normal driving situation, with a little reserve. Then you can stop until you make some change in the equation, such as a different oil or driving situation. From my own experience, it took four UOAs to establish an OCI for a Honda Accord, the same for a farm tractor, three for an older diesel pickup and it looks like four for a later model gas pickup. But...

Many people find they end up pretty close to what the OEM recommended, so for the majority of people, UOAs are just not cost effective. But...

I will say that oil analysis has taught me a lot, so there's a little added intangible value to it.

O.T.- Poway, CA, was one of the nicest cities I ever lived in. Too crowded for my tastes today but I still have fond memories of that place.

Last edited:
I have done from the first oil change on but, having learned something, I now do one after the engine is mostly broken-in at ~ 8-12,000 miles and adjust my OCI basted on the UOA. I do another at ~30,000 and maybe one much later at 80,000. If money and time is no object then do one at every oil change.

IMO....wait until your warranty is up. I would start having it done when you get 75K on the engine and it's well broken in. IMO...engines need to be free of any early particulates and wear before you can get ready to set a trend.

75K on is when a UOA should start if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time. Then have a UOA done every 25K after that to see any trends.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
From my own experience, it took four UOAs to establish an OCI for a Honda

Hi, Jim. As I just helped my daughter purchase a 2011 Accord V-6 last weekend, could you please advise which year, model, engine you have and what you learned about OCI from your UOAs on this particular car? Also curious as to how long you ran the famous Honda FF? How closely does the interval you've established compare with the MM? Thanks from a new Honda co-owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back