comparing oil analysis companies based on time frame to process?

hey all, would be cool to have a thread with how long a company takes to analyze a used oil sample you sent them so that members can decide who to send there oil sample to depending on how fast they need it

in other words who are the 'faster' oil analysis companies?

thx

Plus, results for the same labs are not always consistent. I’m “local” with a short drive to Blackstone Labs, and if I drop the sample off on a weekend, I have ALWAYS had the results by Monday evening. However, those who ship samples to Blackstone have frequently said it takes them 2-3 weeks to get their results.

TestOil has provided results within 4 working days of shipment for me, but that may mean 3 days, 2 days, or even 1 day waiting to results depending on shipment time.

I’m with @mrsilv04 at least in concept here, because Blackstone does not use gas chromatography for fuel dilution. If you’ve got a PFI engine, they may be acceptable. If you’ve got a GDI, you may want to use another lab.

IMO, if someone needs something to be done fast, there are ways to request that, and it costs more.

Overnight shipping, expedite charges, etc.

If it's not worth the extra money to do that, then the speed isn't really a concern. Accuracy is MUCH more important IMO.

TestOil has provided results within 4 working days of shipment for me, but that may mean 3 days, 2 days, or even 1 day waiting to results depending on shipment time.
Just looked them up, I'm sure they are fine, however, I see they were recently bought (in the last 2 years) by Eurofins.

I have some personal experience with that process, so I'll caution to keep an eye out for quality and such.

hey all, would be cool to have a thread with how long a company takes to analyze a used oil sample you sent them so that members can decide who to send there oil sample to depending on how fast they need it

in other words who are the 'faster' oil analysis companies?

thx
I'm unable to find a reason why a typical consumer would need analysis results quickly. I don't doubt that some might ... perhaps you can provide some examples? What would you consider fast?

I'm unable to find a reason why a typical consumer would need analysis results quickly. I don't doubt that some might ... perhaps you can provide some examples? What would you consider fast?
You're sampling oil from a used car you are considering buying. Sample comes back in 3 weeks and they already sold the car to someone else.

You're sampling virgin oil that may go into your car at next oil change, scheduled for the following weekend. Results of that sample determine if you will use that oil, or the oil you used at previous oil change. Your schedule is such that if you don't get results by your scheduled oil change, it will be several weekends until you get another chance to change your oil. You drive a lot of miles and this will put you significantly over your OCI.

I'm sure there are more examples, but those two came to the top of my head pretty quickly.

Only offering timeframe anecdotes,

Black stone recently took 3.5 weeks for 1 sample. I felt a little irritated.

Napa/ALS took 4 business days for 3 VOAs I sent Thursday last week via priority mail.

I plan on using oil analyzers or maybe speeddiagnostix next time, for fun, not really because of any other reason.

I haven't gotten next day results form Blackstone in years, lately it has been at least a week post receipt (i track them) ALS and OAL are faster 3-4 days post receipt usually, and both offer "online submission" which i find easier.

I agree that its aggravating to pay top dollar for the UOA and get slowest service.

I think Blackstone's delivery system is part of it.

I noticed that recently they don't actually say "delivered" they say "delivered to agent for final delivery". I have one that says that on the 14th and Blackstones tracking still just says "Alert" meaning it was shipped.

I'm probably going to start moving away from Blackstone due to rising cost and delayed service.

I think Blackstone's delivery system is part of it.

I noticed that recently they don't actually say "delivered" they say "delivered to agent for final delivery". I have one that says that on the 14th and Blackstones tracking still just says "Alert" meaning it was shipped.

I'm probably going to start moving away from Blackstone due to rising cost and delayed service.

Now 10 days after USPS says deliver to agent and the blackstone tracking still shows "Alert" they have not logged the sample in or any other activity.

Additionally both OAL and ALS allow you to enter sample information electronically and submit it.

Now 10 days after USPS says deliver to agent and the blackstone tracking still shows "Alert" they have not logged the sample in or any other activity.

Additionally both OAL and ALS allow you to enter sample information electronically and submit it.

How do you track Blackstone?

First i scan the label with the usps app.

Then when you log onto your blackstone account there is a tile for "sample tracking" the tracking number will show up there at some point after its scanned by usps.
What I found is that after USPS says it was delivered, it might be another week before Blackstone says they received it. I get the impression they are overwhelmed with samples, which sit out on their receiving dock for a week or so before they actually open the sample, check it in, and get it in line for testing. I wonder if they run more than one shift?

It's taking up to and over a month lately with blackstone.
I sent one in, I was my last sample kit, the wind blew the paid postage bag into the used oil so I just hand addressed a package too them, cost like $3, that one took 4 days for some reason.

First i scan the label with the usps app.

Then when you log onto your blackstone account there is a tile for "sample tracking" the tracking number will show up there at some point after its scanned by usps.

Thanks! I had no idea I could do that

They are lying on the dates, USPS says delivered on the 5th but they only say they got it on the 14th... I understand that they may be busy, but they can't just fudge the date LOL

I buy the sample kits at my local CAT dealer, includes the sample bottle and the post paid bottle or you can take it back to their shop and they ship it out. Longest I've waited has been 5 business days. Usually if I take it in on a Monday I'll get the emailed results Thursday or Friday

Back