when to change filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
i change my 1992 harley's oil every 2000 miles, using 2 1/2 quarts of diesel 20w60 and 1/2 quart of whatever synthetic i have around. i have just started using purolator model L10241, the hd cross reference
i change the filter every 2nd oil change and sometimes cut them open. every time, they are SPOTLESS. btw, no oil use between changes, and oil appears dark brown, not black
so my question is, can i do some sort of backyard test to tell if the filter is still servicable, or should i just follow the factory recommendation of 5000 miles

Change the filter with your oil change like toocrazy said. The price of a filter and oil is nothing compared to the peace of mind of running fresh oil with a new clean filter.

There were posts about a "blotter test", sort of cheap crude test to see if you have a lot of particles in oil. You could try this test to see if your oil is dirty after 2K miles, just before changing it. If it is clean that probably means that filter is removing particles and still not full. Otherwise if you find a lot of particles then filter is full, change it.

Note this is not a precise/scientific method, etc. Just an idea. I haven't done it myself as I use one filter per year and don't go on long trips.

well boys, t'y for input.
yes andy, i thought i had posted in oil filters, but thanx for reminding me of it. maybe it's because of the different voltage and cycles we use down here

I would buy a fully synthetic oil for your Harley like the Amsoil MCV Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 20-50 and the EaO oilfilter (if one is avaliable) for your Harley and go with 7,500 OCI's including your filter...or once a year when you start your riding season.

L10241 is a cross over to the Harley filter? I assume you're talking about an EVO big twin, right? How did you determine that L10241 was a cross over...I might use it on mine to save a few bucks. I just bought an Amsoil filter and, with 6 percent Pennsylvania sales tax, it cost me almost $15!
pat.gif

theres some speculation that used filters actually do a better job than new filters. seems to make sence as its basically true with air filters too.

given this, i would change the filter ATLEAST at harleys 5,000 mile interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back