Classic Car Filter Change

I change oil and filter on my classic once a year. Only driven few hundred miles a year. Oil and filter change cheap. Especially with money I have invested in vehicle.

I decided not to change the oil filter this time. Nothing to do with cost I just have this thing about wasting resources. Just seems weird to throw away an oil filter that is rated for 5000 miles when it only has 1000 miles of use. Next Oil change will get a new filter!

I don't change my classic cars oil every year or even every other year. I use Mobil 1 and a K&N filter and I change it when it starts changing color from yellow to a light brown, the age doesn't matter to synthetic oil, . its the mileage on it and if there are any contaminates or moisture in the oil. As long as when you start the engine on regular basis it will collect almost no moisture if you let it warm up all the way. Why throw away perfectly good oil that looks exactly like the oil you are putting in?

IMG_2053.JPG

Why change the oil at 1000 miles? IIRC Blackstone Labs claims that oil doesn’t go bad at this age. They tested old bottles from 10 years ago and the oil was fine.

Regarding the oil filter, I doubt anything happened over these 2 years with such minimal use unless it’s a new engine that’s being broken in.

Why change the oil at 1000 miles? IIRC Blackstone Labs claims that oil doesn’t go bad at this age. They tested old bottles from 10 years ago and the oil was fine.

Regarding the oil filter, I doubt anything happened over these 2 years with such minimal use unless it’s a new engine that’s being broken in.
I think climate matters here. That Blackstone test was for bottles, which are sealed.

We are talking about a classic car, in which the oil is in the sump, and exposed to some amount of atmosphere. So, wet, coastal Virginia, with big temperature variations, I would lean towards every year.

Dry, central California - every couple of years.

For my 66 barracuda, it wasn’t so much mileage it was time. I had to choose something and two years seems about right. Could it have gone three or four years? Possibly. I just settled on two years really no rationale behind the decision

Back