When to change bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can fit her under my 2006 Jeep I want to install my Amsoil BMK21/BMK11 bypass filter.My question is with my pass filter installed using Amsoil oil(XL 5W-20)and Amsoil full flow could I go 12K before I change the bypass filter while changing the full flow at 6K normal service?Thanks Joe

When your engine oil is warm and your bypass filter can isn't warm, you know that it is plugged and overdue for a change.

With the bypass filter, don't change the filter until it shows signs of plugging, or maybe yearly. Change the full flow filter yearly just in case the rubber parts might be hardening. There's nothing for it to filter unless some engine parts breaks up.

With that much filtration you can change the oil and leave both in place.

It surely depends on how much loading you're doing ..so the short trip stuff will take more of a toll, but 12k ..normally speaking, should load either substantially.

I'm going out on a limb here, but the old "if its warm, its working" method may only work if the filter does not have a bypass (or will actually plug off).

I know most that use TP or paper towels will be long past their useful life if left to plug off...and it is still debated to whether the Amsoil units have/don't have an internal bypass valve (I was told they don't, others have been told they in fact do).

I would change on a recommended schedule (as noted by Amsoil)...30k without their oil, 60k with their oil.

Technical confirmed that Amsoil bypass filters do not have bypass valves. Neither does the full flow Cummins that shares the thread with it.

Most tp filters have a restrictor. This attenuates the flow. It's to slow up the flow when draining to a zero pressure area ..but it also reduces the amount of oil processed when new.

I would say that one wouldn't want to wait until any filter is rendered inert in the system, but I'd have no problem with taking a tp or pt filter 1000 miles plus at a time until I found it not working, just to gauge the lifespan under my usage.

Last edited:
Once you change over to a bypass set up like the Amsoil dual remote set up how long can you possibly use the oil? Say if the filters were changed annually? Would it be possible to never change the oil again in a gasser other than topping up at annual filter changes?

I have to say "it depends". You're going to keep start up byproducts to a minimum ..but what about TBN/TAN/Oxidation/Nitration? While the oil you select may be sufficiently robust to make a one year OCI, will it be refreshed enough with just some filter changes. The tp filters have perpetual refresh rates. I never verified the average age of the oil in the sump, but it takes about 20k+ before the original sump is below the 20% that a fresh quart adds. I'd like to figure that the median would be the mean, but I'm not sure and don't look forward to the math "Gary style".

Much would depend on the annual mileage and the oil selected. Most Amsoil products work in either direction in terms of annual OCI's. They're buffered enough for longer drains with longer mileage ..and shorter mileages over longer time spans ..at least outside of some really severe duty.

Sump size would also be a factor. You're going to be replacing at least two quarts and up to 5-6 depending on the bypass filter used. I'd not want to ditch a EaOBp-110 every year. I'd want to get over 20k out of it minimum.

How big is this sump? How many miles will it do a year?

I'm not objecting to the idea, per se~, but it's the first time I've had to ponder it and have no bearings founded in fact/knowledge/experience.
21.gif

I'm running the Amsoil BMK-11 on my Dodge Cummins with a Donaldson ELF7349. I'm going to leave the bypass filter on for 1 year, regardless of mileage (and I put on a lot). If it plugs, I'm not worried because the Donaldson filters more than adequately...and all that was there before was a plug anyways.

In addition, I think it would take an awfully long time for one of those to plug running a Donaldson ELF series FF.

That's why, depending on sump size, it may be cheaper and more productive to change the sump and leave the filters in place. It may end up, again depending, on being the same amount of oil on a gas engine. So, it would break down to (for example) swapping out 5 quarts without changing filters or 3-4 quarts with filters. The 5 quarts will probably be cheaper.

Yikes!

A fiscal decision (how to utilize bypass filtration) within a fiscal decision (whether to utilize bypass filtration).

I love this place!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

It's a 126,000 mile 1998 Jeep with a 4.0 and a six quart sump. Lately it sees about 8 to 10K a year and goes roughly 10 miles or more every time it is started. The oil used most all it's life is Amsoil AMO 10W40 changed annually. No oil consumption that I can tell.

The idea of running a bypass rig is something I have been pondering but the TBN/TAN thing might be the killer.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Yikes!

A fiscal decision (how to utilize bypass filtration) within a fiscal decision (whether to utilize bypass filtration).

I love this place!
thumbsup2.gif

Even the finer nooks and crannies ..folds .. no stone is left unturned in exploration of "possibilities".

Originally Posted By: KW
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

It's a 126,000 mile 1998 Jeep with a 4.0 and a six quart sump. Lately it sees about 8 to 10K a year and goes roughly 10 miles or more every time it is started. The oil used most all it's life is Amsoil AMO 10W40 changed annually. No oil consumption that I can tell.

The idea of running a bypass rig is something I have been pondering but the TBN/TAN thing might be the killer.

I've done this. I did it with a Permacool since I already had it mounted. I just used the Dual Guard Cummins thread inserts. I was not too smart at the time and didn't realize that the Cummins filter doesn't have a bypass valve. I had been using 51773 Wix with the 3/4-16 inserts that came with the Permacool.

Every BITOG member has some scheme on the back burner. It may get abandoned as you think about it and acquire new knowledge ..but there's always something.

Here's what I am thinking of doing when I'm done with current testing with 0w-10 oil. I want to expand the sump for longevity without having a cold 8+ quart sump.

I've got a Dual Guard (BMK22). I'll simply install a Permacool sandwich and plumb it to the Dual Guard. I'll retain the #3 lines and fittings that are there to restrict flow in a zero discharge return setting. That should create a variable sump based on the temp/visc of the fluid. The poppet in the Permacool will maintain 2PSID across the mount. That should allow virtually no flow at ambient start and progressive (yet attenuated) flow as it warms.

It should provide for more favorable conditions for TBN retention/moisture removal ..without too much in terms of compromise.

I would love to use this sandwich ..but I haven't taken it apart yet to see if it has some relief mechanism. I don't know how much fluid two EaBP110's can pass even @ 5-6 Cst (I actually imagine quite a bit - but). If I had more confidence, I'd then just plumb full sized lines.

thermsandwich1.jpg

By geeaea at 2009-07-10
thermsandwich3x.jpg

By geeaea at 2009-07-10

Here's one item I would seriously invest in. You can either get one used ..or buy new from the dealer. Get a laminar sandwich oil:coolant heat exchanger. I think it's about $140 new ..but occasionally you'll find one on Ebay for less than half that. I try to get them for under $50 delivered. They're optional equipment on the 2005 Grand Caravan with HD towing package (one reference).

Originally Posted By: Dually
If I can fit her under my 2006 Jeep I want to install my Amsoil BMK21/BMK11 bypass filter.My question is with my pass filter installed using Amsoil oil(XL 5W-20)and Amsoil full flow could I go 12K before I change the bypass filter while changing the full flow at 6K normal service?Thanks Joe

I have my BP110 in for over 28K miles, it still flows great and I will probably use it till year end...I have also used Baldwin B50 for up to 21k with no issues...If you start using the extended changing it will make the Amsoil as economical as the Baldwin..just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back