When/how do you stop hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started and I'm having the darndest time stopping. A year ago I didn't have a drop of oil to my name. Shortly after finding BITOG and deciding to do my own oil changes I purchased two 5 qt jugs of Valvoline MaxLife NextGen, which were discounted and almost free after the MIR. I later stumbled on some discounted PP, some more MaxLife NextGen, and then some PU. I recently purchased 45 quarts of G-Oil that was on clearance at Walmart, bringing my baby stash to about 57 quarts (I had used up most of the PP and PU by then). I was about 15 minutes early for an appointment this afternoon and decided to duck into the AZ across the street with no real expectation of buying anything and was pleasantly surprised to find two 5.1 qt jugs on clearance for $2 each! Now my stash is 10.2 quarts larger and my wallet only $4.32 lighter! I stopped at another AZ on the way home and their only clearance oils were some Castrol conventional and M1 5W-40, neither of which I was interested in/had use for. After getting home I started checking online at two AZs that can be on my way into the office tomorrow if I so please and have leads now for $4/qt PU and $4/5 qt Kendall, which I may grab tomorrow.

I figure I already have at least four years' worth of oil (GP at 5 qt per 9,000 miles/9 months using the ML NG and Burb at 6 qt per 5,000 miles/6 months using the G-Oil) but can't help but continue searching for deals and steals. It's verging on a compulsion. I feel called by each auto parts store I pass, luring me in like Ulysses and the sirens. I have offered oil to my friends to thin out my stash, thereby rationalizing future purchases. I don't feel bad about the money aspect of the purchases as I make plenty to justify these expenditures as a hobby, but it still feels kinda wrong...like I need to hide it from my wife. But I don't hide it and she thinks I'm crazy. Actually, she feeds the obsession! I called and asked about the G-Oil purchase, thinking cooler heads would prevail and she would tell me to limit my purchase to only one or two jugs, but she green lighted purchasing 10 (which I would have done, but they "only" had seven jugs and 10 individual quarts)!

The point of all of this rambling is to ask, does it ever stop?

You'll stop if & when oil prices jump or a lack of sales....

Then you and your stash will be KING OF THE WORLDS'ES

cool.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
You'll stop if & when oil prices jump or a lack of sales....

Then you and your stash will be KING OF THE WORLDS'ES

cool.gif

Now you're just helping me rationalize!

Like surfstar said, don't bite unless its less than a $ a quart.

Building a stash is a buffer to avoid paying full price when you need the oil. It should not be about becoming a shopaholic.

Set a price point. If you have less than 6 months' supply it's "urgent" and anything cheaper than walmart qualifies.

If you have a three year supply, aim for under a buck a quart.

Don't ever stop, but lower your "buy price" appropriately.

If it is a great deal buy it whether or not you need it. Put it in your stash. One day there will be a place for you to put a picture of your stash on a thread. To show it off so to speak. Have fun searching.

Hello, As hardcore mentioned, I slowed down when I ran out of room on my dedicated oil shelf. I REALLY slowed down when both older engines in the family (a 3.8L V-6 Ford and a 4.0L I6 Jeep) were sold off. I was fortunate in that the local parts store swapped my old gallon jugs and quarts for stuff I needed. Kira

Two oil changes on hand for each car you service is plenty. But what do I know - I'll buy 5 three pound cans of coffee at Costco when I see it cheap. It's human instinct stock up on a good deal for something you feel you'll use eventually.

I was down to under 5 quarts on hand about 18 months ago - I stopped buying oil for about 2 years when prices were high (I was buying up .40S&W, .45ACP, and .223/5.56 at the time, when prices were low). Now that ammo prices are sky high and availability is near zero, I've stopped buying up ammo. It seems like ammo prices and motor oil prices are inversely proportional.

As was stated above, set your motor oil 'buy' price in relation to how much stock you have on hand and how quickly you use it. As I have more than 3 years of oil on hand, my buy price is around $0.50 a quart.

Remember - motor oil will last a long time, but not forever.

HOARDERS: LUBRICATION EDITION

Coming soon to a cable network near you!

I still have a few quarts of SL Mobil 1 0W-40 and a red-cap 15W-50 left from a Pep Boys BOGO sale back in '03 or '04. I was mixing it 1:5 with 5W-30. Doing extended drains meant that I moved twice with that stash.

It was harder to hoard for my wife's old Saturn that burned a case between changes, but I fondly remember the Kragen 49-cents after rebate Chevron oil.

I have been able to moderate in recent years, since I don't have a lot of storage space or time to hunt down deals. I did clean out the clearanced Peak Synthetic 5W-20 (only 13 quarts) at a local Advance based on a tip from this site, and recently got two jugs of Platinum because of the rebate.

At this stage, it sounds like your wife is an enabler. Hold on to her as long as you can, but keep the full extent of your oil collection hidden. You don't want her to see the truth, as that could lead to an intervention of some kind. Also keep your cars in good order. If you get rid of them before the oil is gone, you will have a bunch of obsolete oil when auto manufacturers switch to something like 0W-10.

Even as a hoarder, I feel that I actually spend less overall on motor oil.

My next oil change is going to cost me $9.46 out the door. That
includes a WIX oil filter from O'Reilly and 4.5 qts of PP from Menards. Pep Boys wants $69.99 (plus tax, environmental fees, ect) for a PP oil change with a $3.29 filter.

Even though I have 238 qts, I use a lot. In addition to my own vehicles, I change the oil in my parents' cars and my sister's car.

I used to hoard golf balls when I found them for $5/doz and less, but I've stopped since getting better and don't lose as many any more...but still have a dozen dozen
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back