Auto Zone Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

There are still many people who think Pennzoil "make a wax in the motor." That one is just best left alone.

Same response I get when I mention using Schaeffers. One guy at work gets all offensive saying "that junk has moly in it, you know moly is grease right ? , "

Originally Posted By: JD4440
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

There are still many people who think Pennzoil "make a wax in the motor." That one is just best left alone.

Same response I get when I mention using Schaeffers. One guy at work gets all offensive saying "that junk has moly in it, you know moly is grease right ? , "

I have head the Pennzoil was thing wayyyyyyyyyyyy too many times, especially back when I was clueless

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you mix oils how do you know if the resulting mix would meet the spec's for either donor oil? You can mix engine oils any which way you like because they are miscible but why not just pick an oil and stick with it? Let the formulator do his/her job. For me, I'll admit that beyond a UOA I don't know what goes into designing a finished product that sits on the shelf that meets the spec's listed on the bottle. My answer would be, of course you can mix the oil, dyno or synthetic but I prefer to stick with one brand and viscosity.

Well, let me see if I can explain this!

1) I don't try to out think the oil engineers or blenders. I just try to use up oils in my stash. Sometimes this requires using different brands/grades.

2) 40 something years ago, I used any oils for my OCI due to low income and a beater car. Sometimes these OCI's consisted of 5 different brands each being a different weight.

3) Today, I will make my own blend(2qts syn/3qts dino) as I buy all of my oils on sale/rebate/discounted or discontinued!

4) All of the oils that I use today are oils that are held in the highest regard here at BITOG or other known forums. Every oil that I use, meets spec so, mixing them together doesn't bring them out of spec. This has been shown in UOA's by others here at BITOG, using a Frakenbrew!

5) I don't just go around mixing oils, just to mix oils(as I did 40+ yrs ago). I mix to use up precious resources for a decent OCI. Or for my OPE and in over 40 years of doing this(on occasion), I have never killed an engine. Many engines had over 200K-300K miles on them! Many of these engines had mixes of oils you wouldn't believe!
laugh.gif

6) Do I think that mixing is optimal? NO! This should probably be #1 not #6

7) I mix because I can!
laugh.gif
I don't want to just use one brand/grade and I like to buy by price...Known/regarded oils! And this too, creates straggler qts of oils.

8) I don't promote mixing oils together but, I will tell others that mixing isn't going to hurt your engine as long as you are using the correct grade/weight/spec for your engine listed by the MFG. Even using thicker/thinner oils together won't hurt the engine but, user be aware of climate changes and the grade/wgt's of oils you are using.
smile.gif

There is probably #'s 9 & 10 but, I can't think of anymore!

Hope this helps to clear this up!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Ringing up at the checkout, I was telling the guy that I just want some cheap oils..."I don't care if it dino or syn"! He says..."You know, you can't mix the two"?

The way you have it worded, with the question mark on the end of his quoted statement, it sounds like the AZ employee was asking you if you can mix the two; not telling you you can't mix the two.

Re hatching this as I just noticed this mistake.

This quote was supposed to end with an exclamation mark(!) not a question mark(?) SORRY!.......?........
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

8) I don't promote mixing oils together but, I will tell others that mixing isn't going to hurt your engine as long as you are using the correct grade/weight/spec for your engine listed by the MFG. Even using thicker/thinner oils together won't hurt the engine but, user be aware of climate changes and the grade/wgt's of oils you are using.
smile.gif

Hope this helps to clear this up!

Rehashing this...yes...
The only "warning" the sales guy was thinking of, if he was thinking at all, was that mixing brands may mix different chemistries/add-packs...that MAY NOT BE OPTIMAL...but "not optimal" does not mean such a mix is to be prohibited...

I just picked up a couple of Nextgen HM quarts for $1.50 each that is the same SN/weight as OEM specs, and I'll use them to top off PP OC-fill...I don't "stash" oils...just 1 OC in advance, so I'm good for 15+K miles/18 months....

Last edited:
The sales person was 18 years old. And he said that they're receive this information as part of their training, NOT TO MIX Oils! And they tell others/customers this information.

I don't want to debate this ^^^ further!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back