When do you board a flight?

Always board in the "A" group. Southwest Airlines.
On SWA I like to get group "B", as low a number as I can get. They board the families with little kids between groups "A" and "B". I want to know where the little kids (and very obese adults) are sitting when I choose my seat so I can stay as far away as possible. The worst flights that I have been on involved little kids, on one flight the attendant gave me free drinks because she felt sorry for me. On flights that are not full (VERY rare on SWA) my wife likes to pull the coughing trick to keep other passengers from sitting next to her ;)
I stay away from American because of very unfriendly staff and flight attendants. Additionally, I hate DFW and avoid flights connecting through there.

Last edited:
Granted I mentioned I don't fly much anymore - but I never minded the SWA boarding process, and I always pay for higher priority in line - just because you pick your seat.

When I did fly a lot United was by far the WORST. I avoided them like the plague. They couldn't get anywhere on time. Might have something to do with basing your hub near the worst flying weather on earth.

As for people being idiots, that has been a universal truth for eternity, so if the airlines enable it then its on them.
The latest DOT statistics show how well United has done on on time, cancellations, etc. Far ahead of Southwest. Well ahead of American. A whisker behind Delta (less than 0.1%)

If you’ve not flown lately, you’ll see a very different company.

Personally I'd rather board as soon as possible. If I can get ahead of everyone aside from 1st Class the better. I say this because I want to spend the least amount of time in the unconditioned ramp.

SW promised us $200 for their screw up. We got nothing.

I actually don't mind their seating scheme - it's their logistics, filthy planes and lack of execution that make me not want to use them.

SW promised us $200 for their screw up. We got nothing.

I actually don't mind their seating scheme - it's their logistics, filthy planes and lack of execution that make me not want to use them.

Years ago I applied for a refund from Northwest Orient. It took a number of months to get that and in addition NWO charged me a $75 refund fee. Even my pilot friend had a chuckle over that.

35 years flying and I’ve never been on a United flight. I need to book next vacation on United.

Reactions: 4WD
35 years flying and I’ve never been on a United flight. I need to book next vacation on United.

I was on a United flight (in Polaris!!!) last March from Newark to Capetown and it was the absolute worst service I've ever received on a flight.

As late as possible to minimize sitting in a nasty seat in an airplane. But I minimize air travel as well - it's become a degrading experience in the last couple of decades.

Is the OP an attractive chick? It seems like they always get pulled over for a pat down.

There are many airlines that don’t charge for a checked bag, my own among them.

But people see the “super discount saver basic fare” - which doesn’t include a checked bag, or a carry on bag, and very clearly says so right on the site - and they then try to schlep a ton of crap on board.

You get what you pay for. And people click on price without reading.

My wife flew to PHX last month to see her daughter and granddaughter. She had a checked bag with gifts for both.

It was $800 round trip on United, free checked bag, priority boarding.

It was $600 on Southwest, free checked bag, steerage boarding. She decided to try SWA.

She had a tight connection going there. I paid for her priority boarding. $75.

She had a really tight connection in BWI coming back. 30 minutes. Two priority boarding fees (to get her near the front on leg one and have room for her bag on the second) would have been $150. And she was still worried about the checked bag making it.

I booked her on United. $400 one way. Free checked bag. Economy plus reserved seating. Early boarding. 90 minute connection in IAD. Low stress.

SWA refunded the $300 of that segment. I saved the $150 I would’ve paid.

United was cheaper, and a better product, than SWA on that leg.

So, yeah, airlines offer free checked luggage - but I‘m pretty certain that the average flyer is a price conscious, illiterate, selfish moron.

Don’t expect rational behavior.

And don’t expect to see Mrs. Astro lined up in the free for all that is SWA boarding.
I thought you guys fly free?

I have American Gold for life and board as soon as I can. Mainly to get my carry-on stowed near me. I don't put anything under the seat in front of me. That's where my feet go.

I am a frequent air traveller and have been for a long time for work. Once I achieved status and could board sooner the magic is....it's a guarantee to get your carry on stowed in the overhead compartment. That's really it for me. If I'm first class, I can have a drink before the plane takes off as the poors/riff-raff/scum class/stearage board :ROFLMAO: But jokes aside, yeah, sometimes it's nice to not rush to board if you don't have carry-ons.

If I'm first class, I can have a drink before the plane takes off as the poors/riff-raff/scum class/stearage board

My favorite part about this is without fail someone will arrogantly throw their bag in the overhead even though there's a huge sign that says reserved for first/business...only to be reprimanded by the flight attendant and forced to come back for their bag. 🤣

My favorite part about this is without fail someone will arrogantly throw their bag in the overhead even though there's a huge sign that says reserved for first/business...only to be reprimanded by the flight attendant and forced to come back for their bag. 🤣
Silly poors....

Depends. On a short flight, with a single carry-on that needs bin space, and/or a cheap airline with no assigned seating, when the group is called.

On long flight, with checked luggage and assigned seating, at leisure. No desire to squeeze in any more seat time than absolutely required.

TBH, I'd prefer to hop on a train when that's a feasible option. Especially a nice one, like the Eurostar.

Security is less of a hassle, every coach has its own boarding portal, spacious seating even in basic class, freedom to roam, and restrooms that aren't the size of a broom closet. Something to look at outside the window as well. 180 mph feels like nothing.

Oh, and in many places, it drops you off right in the city center. No need to schlep onto another transport to get there.

Last edited:
not much difference w/a grey-hound or other bus. Y class it different? It's not the 1950s
when there was a difference (between it and other mass transit). I take the train whenever I can.
Right pace, right accommodations (& sometimes brings my car too)~

To make sure there is still room left for a carry-on in the overhead bin?
^^^ This ^^^ people haul way too much on the plane. I have one backpack and it gets moved around by others or the flight attendant when a couple boards with multiple bags bursting at the seams …

The latest DOT statistics show how well United has done on on time, cancellations, etc. Far ahead of Southwest. Well ahead of American. A whisker behind Delta (less than 0.1%)

If you’ve not flown lately, you’ll see a very different company.
I’m always amazed by UA’s pilot experience … when I did 006/007 often … those pilots had more trips to NRT than express pilots had to IAH …

This was right when they converted to Polaris

74A75521-99CD-43A8-9C40-AEC8183D2727.jpg

This guy is flying on a small A220 - four pieces

IMG_2475.jpeg

Back