Wheel cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents used to have an 80 300SD with those same wheels. Are you sure that whats on there is brake dust? I remember having them refinished was a popular thing to do to those wheels due to corrosion. It just seems like if it was only brake dust a pressure washer would get it. But if it is brake dust I think maybe spray it down and use Meguiars cleaner along with the pressure washer would be your best bet. Those factory pads do make a lot of dust and its not easy to clean. I used to do my parents car with those same wheels and I had an 83 240D. Great cars!!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Meguiars Wheel Brightener.

Use according to instructions. Very potent.

An alternative that isn't an acid is Meguiars Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner. I use it 2:1 on my daily drivers (VW rear brake dust, ugh!) and 1:1 on nasty ones. It will harm uncoated aluminum wheels however. Both work great, some people don't like the acid. Either way there's some scrubbing that's gonna be required. On something like that there is no easy spray and rinse option...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn
My parents used to have an 80 300SD with those same wheels. Are you sure that whats on there is brake dust? I remember having them refinished was a popular thing to do to those wheels due to corrosion. It just seems like if it was only brake dust a pressure washer would get it. But if it is brake dust I think maybe spray it down and use Meguiars cleaner along with the pressure washer would be your best bet. Those factory pads do make a lot of dust and its not easy to clean. I used to do my parents car with those same wheels and I had an 83 240D. Great cars!!

In the past I have removed the dark spots(grime) with a 000 steel wool. The outer smooth areas of the rim are not too hard to get rid of. The inner areas such as the crevices and angles are very hard to get to with steel wool. This is where I think a good cleaner would help.

These w116 diesels are extraordinary cars. They do have a few issues but are mostly limited to comfort type of issues such as AC, power windows, vacuum leaks that affect mostly the door locks. I do have oil leaks that drive my wife crazy and that might be the only reason why I might have to get rid of this beast. It is my favorite car to drive on stormy rainy days. I also own a 1988 300sel (w126) with 75k miles and a 1970 280 SEL (w108). Also great cars but don't come close to my diesel..

Nice looking w116! Unfortunately those bundts tend to get etched easily and beyond a point, the finish gets mottled and won't get cleaner.

The more potent stuff won't do you any favors because it is going to further damage the coats of paint on there.

I'd pull the tires and have them powder coated or at least prep them and then apply the wurth wheel paint system.

My 82 300cd came from CA with chromed 14" bundts, so I imported some 15" bundts from Europe and got them powder chromed by LA wheel and tire.

JH1_7203.jpg

Don't forget that w116 cars are more prone to rust than other Mercedes cars like the w123 / 126. So get on a good rustproofing regimen as it's a fine looking car. Let us know if you have other questions.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice looking w116! Unfortunately those bundts tend to get etched easily and beyond a point, the finish gets mottled and won't get cleaner.

The more potent stuff won't do you any favors because it is going to further damage the coats of paint on there.

I'd pull the tires and have them powder coated or at least prep them and then apply the wurth wheel paint system.

My 82 300cd came from CA with chromed 14" bundts, so I imported some 15" bundts from Europe and got them powder chromed by LA wheel and tire.

JH1_7203.jpg

Don't forget that w116 cars are more prone to rust than other Mercedes cars like the w123 / 126. So get on a good rustproofing regimen as it's a fine looking car. Let us know if you have other questions.

Thats a nice looking chrome bundt.
How much am I looking at to get them just powder coated

Originally Posted By: Delta

An alternative that isn't an acid is Meguiars Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner. I use it 2:1 on my daily drivers (VW rear brake dust, ugh!) and 1:1 on nasty ones. It will harm uncoated aluminum wheels however. Both work great, some people don't like the acid. Either way there's some scrubbing that's gonna be required. On something like that there is no easy spray and rinse option...

The D143 Non-Acid version also works as a great tire cleaner.

At full-strength, the D143 is quite similar in performance to the D140, but requires more scrubbing on stubborn deposits.

With that said, I really doubt that the D143 is significantly safer than the D140. The D143 is a high-alkaline type product, which can be just as caustic.

However, D140 is significantly cheaper than D143.

Anyone who's having to use these types of products frequently on their personal cars, should really consider Opti-Coat for their wheels. It makes cleaning a lot easier and you will not have to resort to these cleaners on a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

At full-strength, the D143 is quite similar in performance to the D140, but requires more scrubbing on stubborn deposits.

With that said, I really doubt that the D143 is significantly safer than the D140. The D143 is a high-alkaline type product, which can be just as caustic.

Anyone who's having to use these types of products frequently on their personal cars, should really consider Opti-Coat for their wheels. It makes cleaning a lot easier and you will not have to resort to these cleaners on a regular basis.

Generally how much should someone expect to pay to have their wheels done in Opti-Coat?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Generally how much should someone expect to pay to have their wheels done in Opti-Coat?

Just do it yourself - a tube of the stuff runs between $55-$70 depending on where you get it.

Clean the wheels really well, degrease. Hand polish if necessary. Wipe down the areas to be coated with a strong IPA solution. Then use a foam applicator and apply it on. Wipe off any high spots after 5 min; if you miss any high spots, no one will ever see 'em on wheels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back