Wheel balancing: weights

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a good set of weights to have on hand? I picked up the 1/4oz and 1/2oz stick on ones from HF, but am wondering if I should get some 1oz clip-on ones if I'm serious about balancing tires.

Actually, stick-on vs clip-on? I know the stick-on can be hidden and may work better with alloys; but outside of aesthetics, any reason for one over the other? So far I've chewed up the clip-ons that I've removed (improper tool and all) but I'm not sure if they are reusable.

Besides wheel weight pliers, to balance most wheels, you need 1/4 oz. increments of many different styles of clip on and tape weights. So you have to buy a minimum of like 48 boxes of lead weights. Don't forget about valve stems, and a tool for that too.

Yeah, I've thought about those, figured I could reuse the valve stems for at least two mountings. They're only 3 years old as it is. Although I'm tempted to strip out the TPMS while I'm at it.

Why 48 boxes? You can make a 1oz weight out of four 1/4oz ones afterall.
wink.gif
Seems like 1/4, 1/2 and 1oz boxes would cover most needs.

Tape weights would be the most universal. I leave the TMPS alone if they are not leaking. Had a few break on removal. And you really have to pay attention to the position of the sensor while removing and installing the tire.

I might just remove the TPMS, undecided at the moment. Not to open that debate, not in this thread; but I'm not required to have it per state law. But it's a good reminder to not whack that thing.

Never thought of that! Different shape rims, different clip on weights. Duh. Didn't think about that aspect.

Besides not having to clean off the wheels for good adhesion, the clip on weights are at the optimum position for balancing the wheel/tire assembly with the minimum amount of weight. The clip on position is far from the center plane of the wheel/tire assembly and the rotation axis, meaning that the weight can be smaller and generate the same balancing moment.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
The clip on position is far from the center plane of the wheel/tire assembly and the rotation axis, meaning that the weight can be smaller and generate the same balancing moment.

Um... could you please draw me a free body diagram to demonstrate this principle?

I get that the weight is further from the wheel axis, but all that moving it axially does is to introduce a moment perpendicular to the axis of rotation. Actually, if you can assume a (reasonably) rigid wheel, the least runout effect would occur with the weight mounted at the hub plane.

I'd recommend 3M stick on weights, along with their citrus cleaner/adhesion promoter. When properly applied, they stick VERY well, and you just cut them with a razor blade type hose cutter.

Last edited:
Dynamic wheel balancing is basically done in 2 planes, inner/outer.
When balancing the outer plane a tire might need say 1 oz, but it might take 2 oz Tape weight behind the wheel face to correct for the 1 oz it would call for on the rim flange. It is less effective deeper in the wheel,and also has an effect on what the rear flange will need. That is why you see such long strips of weight even on new cars. Clip on weights are much easier to use, but rarely used on new cars anymore,unless it is a steel wheel they will eventually destroy the finish on alloy wheels. Bubble balancer won't even come close to a dynamic balance.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Bubble balancer won't even come close to a dynamic balance.

Well yeah, it's a static balance...

From what I've read, static balancing might work a good chunk of the time. Not ideal, but sufficent. Less likely the wider a tire gets; but since I rock tall and narrow I'm less worried. I would be concerned if I had really good tires to balance, on that I wonder if some of the balance issues that a dynamic balance would correct would manifest as funny wear patterns with static balancing; but since a) I'll use cheap(er) tires and b) I never get rated tire life anyhow, I'm less worried.

Can always figure out what tire is bad via tire rotations, and then have Walmart do a dynamic balance, if it's real bad.

So yes, on a bubble balancer you could get by with just 1 oz weights. Close together they would be 2 oz and just spread them equally apart for less weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back