Wheel Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had an ongoing problem with the back end of my car getting loose, mainly on the highway. It will sway back a forth so much so that it is rather disheartening. It had a bent lateral rod which was replaced. However, I took it into the shop to have the alignment checked out and everything but the front wheel camber angles were o.k. The camber on the front left wheel was 1.7*, right wheel -0.5*, with spec being 0.2*-1.2*. The guy said there is no way to adjust the camber settings and I would have to try replacing either the strut assembly or the control arms.
My question is: Is there in fact no way to adjust the camber on my car, and do you think his suggestions are my best bet?
The car is 5th generation Chevrolet Monte Carlo.
Thanks

Yes they make "camber kit" bolts that are eccentric, that replace a strut-to-knuckle bolt. IDK about your application, but get a second opinion.

Also some strut holes have room to get zipped out by a die grinder.

Positive camber is something you really don't want. With angles like those I bet it turns left awesome. Maybe you got the nascar edition?
grin2.gif

You can easily remove the strut bolts, swing it out of the way, and elongate the holes in the strut. Only do the top, and let it pivot on the bottom.
This way you use the stock large bolts, and they will have good strength and won't slip.
You will have to set you toe in and steering wheel straight afterwards.
-.5 to -1 is great for a street car.

I needed to adjust my '96 soob rear camber so I used those fastcam bolts. They work ok but they were a pain to drive into the hole, they were a couple hundreths over 14mm. Anyway that will work on the standard mcpherson rear suspension. If you have multilink or some other rear end those bolts might not help you.
ingalls-fastcam1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back