What’s your thermostat set to any why? Heat source?

Bone absolutely bone desert bone dry here. We have humidifiers going. 31% is the highest reading on one, and it's 5 ft from a humidifier. ~20%'s on others.

My guns and silver love it.

17°F Out
68°F in

We heat our 1500sf log cabin primarily with a pellet stove and keep the thermostat at 68-70. We are averaging just over 2 tons of pellets per winter at $280 per ton. Our main problem is that the pellet stove is in the living room and the bedrooms at the back end of the house are about about 10 degrees colder so I have an electric ceramic heater in the master bathroom for my wife.

We also have an oil fired furnace for backup but it's expensive to use and we generally only use it to take off the chill on cold mornings.

Here's our pellet stove with the dog getting in the way.:)
IMG_2464-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Does VT require a particulate filter or Cat Con in the flue?

I Hope not. I love the smell of wood burning. I hear Pellets burn real clean. Can you smell the flue gas outside during an inversion?

Does VT require a particulate filter or Cat Con in the flue?

I Hope not. I love the smell of wood burning. I hear Pellets burn real clean. Can you smell the flue gas outside during an inversion?
It does have a catalytic converter and I rarely even see visible smoke exiting the chimney and even less times where I can remember smelling smoke. Start up and shut down are when it releases the most emissions.

This is slightly off topic but I noticed the OP is using baseboard heaters. Here is a temp profile for Hartford. ( someone mentioned the OP might be from there). A mini split heat pump would no trouble at these temps. Southerners might not agree but we have low temp heat pumps available up here in Canada. My neighbours heat pump can run at 5 deg F. Another neighbour down the road installed a mini split with two heads where as he had electric base boards before. As for the efficiency it is still 250% at that temp. These are not like grandpa’s heat pump down in Miami.

Does Connecticut have heat pump rebates available? I would suggest you get a free quote from a contractor, including payout calcs for a mini split.
Also, the added bonus is it’s is an air conditioner in the summer. The contractor can tell you what the balance point is with with the outside humidity. Typically you can cut your heating bill in half, then it becomes a payout issue.

57EC2718-6610-4799-BB7C-E56F23AC1BE8.png

Last edited:
Back