What’s your thermostat set to any why? Heat source?

My bedroom set at 60° and I run an electric oil filled heater on low to supplement it. Sometimes need medium when it gets really cold.

Rest of the house is 63° and have another oil filled electric heater to supplement during the day as needed.

I do have another little infrared heater in another bedroom to keep it more comfortable.

All those heaters are on their own 20a circuit.

Oil furnace is expensive to run and I can much more handle a higher electric bill each month (last months was $170 and one of the coldest so far) than filling my oil tank to the tune of $800-$900 on the low end a couple times a season. Converted the boiler to a cold start after abandoning the tankless coil and I've been using very little oil. Also took out the old dial style thermostats for a simple non-programmable digital thermostat.

Set at 68 and we have a heat pump, with a high efficiency oil furnace as back up. In a typical winter, we’ll use 1/2 tank of oil during the colder times when the heat pump can’t handle the demand. Before we had a heat pump we used almost 2 tanks of oil per winter…

Set at 68 and we have a heat pump, with a high efficiency oil furnace as back up. In a typical winter, we’ll use 1/2 tank of oil during the colder times when the heat pump can’t handle the demand. Before we had a heat pump we used almost 2 tanks of oil per winter…
This is the ticket. Be it NG, LPG, or other.

Plus if you have some local resistance heaters for short use rooms (baffroom, office, even guest bedrooms), plus either wood or pellet for say a main occupancy space (living room, bar, etc)

I am a first believer in combo heat sources.

This is the ticket. Be it NG, LPG, or other.

Plus if you have some local resistance heaters for short use rooms (baffroom, office, even guest bedrooms), plus either wood or pellet for say a main occupancy space (living room, bar, etc)

I am a first believer in combo heat sources.

My brother out in Carlisle has been using his fireplace a lot. With a deflector shield/thing. Helps he has plenty of hardwood all around him. He switched from fuel oil to propane and is happy.

Who has 15 amp receptacle circuits? Most homes are wired with #12 wire on 20 amp breakers.

No, most homes are only wired with #12 wire on 20 amp breakers on the circuits required by code, which is dining/kitchen, laundry, and more recently, bathroom circuits. In most houses, all other 120V circuits are 15 amps.

And you'll have a real hard time finding a 120V space heater rated for the 1920 watts you can pull out of a 20 amp circuit. Even if you did, you probably won't be able to plug it in because it'll have a NEMA 5-20 plug on the end of it...and most 20 amp circuits in houses only have NEMA 5-15 receptacles on them.

No, most homes are only wired with #12 wire on 20 amp breakers on the circuits required by code, which is dining/kitchen, laundry, and more recently, bathroom circuits. In most houses, all other 120V circuits are 15 amps.

And you'll have a real hard time finding a 120V space heater rated for the 1920 watts you can pull out of a 20 amp circuit. Even if you did, you probably won't be able to plug it in because it'll have a NEMA 5-20 plug on the end of it...and most 20 amp circuits in houses only have NEMA 5-15 receptacles on them.
It must be a regional thing. I wired lots of apartments/homes in the '90's and the only 15 amp circuit was the smoke detector circuit, sometimes lighting circuits. West central Indiana.
There was a time when 12/2 Romex was cheap and plentiful.

I agree about the common power rating of appliances being 1500 watts, max, pretty basic.

Not true here unless you specified/built/wired your own place.

Most all houses built on the west coast (CA. OR, WA) have 15A, 14G for rooms except kitchen
Regional thing, I'd say.....
The contractor I worked for in the '90's was quite the cheapo and we still used 12/2 Romex in apartments and homes. It used to be cheap and plentiful.

There was a time when 12/2 Romex was cheap and plentiful.

It isn't anymore and it's always been more expensive than 14/2 romex, at least when procured in a legitimate manner...

12/2 Romex is harder to work with than 14/2 Romex. My old house, some electrician decided it would be a swell idea to install four 12/2 romex cables into a box with a GFCI in it.

Replacing that GFCI with a new one and getting it back into the box was real fun.

It isn't anymore and it's always been more expensive than 14/2 romex, at least when procured in a legitimate manner...

12/2 Romex is harder to work with than 14/2 Romex. My old house, some electrician decided it would be a swell idea to install four 12/2 romex cables into a box with a GFCI in it.

Replacing that GFCI with a new one and getting it back into the box was real fun.
Yeah, I run into that sort of thing all the time. Lots of people out there that can twist a wirenut on a couple wires and they think they're an electrician. No training. No knowledge of the NEC. No ability to calculate power, box fill, conduit fill, ampacity etc...
Everyone wants the cheapest. OIls. Mechanic. Electrical installation.
Some things are worth paying extra more for to get quality......

Back