Whats wrong with the Fram EG

Cranking your car with the pedal to the floor will fill the filter to prevent dry start up after an oil change I would think ... saving you money for another toy
You will never generate enough pump pressure at starter speeds to push oil back to the top of the engine. You might push a little into the filter, maybe, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that far, but definitely not up to the heads.
Maybe but if the filter last 10k there is enough media in it , filtering at 95% efficiency it must not be too bad ...and if it did not grenade itself ... the build quality must be sufficient

Sufficient. Sure. I think your at the wrong site. "Most" people drive there cars for a few years and trade them. Or drive for 150K and sell it on craigslist the instant their mechanic tells them it needs something more complex than a sensor. Most here are not "most people".

You will never generate enough pump pressure at starter speeds to push oil back to the top of the engine.
Sure it will ... it's a positive displacement oil pump. It moves volume regardless of the pressure. It might take some cranking time to get the oil to the top end, but it will get there.

I've never felt the need to do this, as already mentioned there is plenty of oil film left on parts to make a start-up with no oil pressure for 2~3 seconds. Fill the oil filter first if you can to help cut down the time it takes to fill the filter and get to the oiling system.

You will never generate enough pump pressure at starter speeds to push oil back to the top of the engine. You might push a little into the filter, maybe, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that far, but definitely not up to the heads.

Sufficient. Sure. I think your at the wrong site. "Most" people drive there cars for a few years and trade them. Or drive for 150K and sell it on craigslist the instant their mechanic tells them it needs something more complex than a sensor. Most here are not "most people".
Most people here are different ? Thanks God for that 😉

Now i really think that i have my place here like anybody else. Im respectfull and polite, but before buying the flavor of the month i am asking questions and i like to challenge the answer.

Im willing to learn , there is so much to learn , but when one look at the big pictures Bitog is a drop in the ocean and millions of people rely on big corporation to maintain their car, somewhat successfully.

I truly beleive that in life , the happy medium is the way to go, im too poor to buy cheap, however im not rich enough to waste money on promises that cant be verified over the life of a product. Thats how i am ... 😉

The idea of the pedal to the floor is a very old idea that was revive as a band aid procedure developped to minimized the noise at cold start up originating from the cam phasers on 3.5 eco. Many could get rid of the noise following this procedure.

Sure it will ... it's a positive displacement oil pump. It moves volume regardless of the pressure. It might take some cranking time to get the oil to the top end, but it will get there.

I've never felt the need to do this, as already mentioned there is plenty of oil film left on parts to make a start-up with no oil pressure for 2~3 seconds. Fill the oil filter first if you can to help cut down the time it takes to fill the filter and get to the oiling system.
Its a positive displacement pump, but most oil pumps are lobe type pump with metal lobes and a metal housing, not a vane pump with a sealing wipers - so I doubt you would get enough pressure to push all the way back up to the heads by cranking it over since at low rpm it will be blead pressure at the pump. Maybe if you cranked it for a very long time?

And no, there is no such thing as a true dry start because even a brand new engine is pre-lubed. But there is obviously an advantage to having the galleries already full, or these el cheapo oil filter manufacturers wouldn't bother with a ADBV at all.

Its a positive displacement pump, but most oil pumps are lobe type pump with metal lobes and a metal housing, not a vane pump with a sealing wipers -
If the lobe PD pump is in good shape it will get oil to the entire system if cranked long enough. The internal clearance and pump slip isn't that bad unless the pump is worn out and junk. It doesn't take much pressure to move the low volume pump output during cranking speed to force the oil through the system. But it might take some cranking time to do so.

It's something I don't do - not worth putting more time and wear on the starter IMO. Instead, I pre-fill the oil filter as much as possible, and the oil pressure light goes off in 1~2 seconds instead of 3~4 seconds if I don't pre-fill the oil filter.

Its a positive displacement pump, but most oil pumps are lobe type pump with metal lobes and a metal housing, not a vane pump with a sealing wipers - so I doubt you would get enough pressure to push all the way back up to the heads by cranking it over since at low rpm it will be blead pressure at the pump. Maybe if you cranked it for a very long time?

And no, there is no such thing as a true dry start because even a brand new engine is pre-lubed. But there is obviously an advantage to having the galleries already full, or these el cheapo oil filter manufacturers wouldn't bother with a ADBV at all.
The MGM 4.6 in my sig HAS to have a flood clear start if it sits more than a day or so-the junk plastic tensioners are letting the galleries drain. Otherwise the timing chains are trying to ventilate the front cover for 1/2 second or so! I have new ones to put in it-if only life quit getting in the way! (Yes, I have a new starter on hand for when it dies!)

Back