Whats up with Warren?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inevitably, when someone asks about some so-and-so oil, people quickly speak up, saying "Warren packaged it" and "WPP is the code" and so on time and time again... So my question is this: What exactly does that mean as far as oil quality or characteristics is concerned? Of what benefit or usefulness is it to know "Warren packaged it"?

I am not trying to be smart about this, I just want to understand what this repetitive statement means.

It is believed that all WPP oils are the same, no matter whose label they put on the bottle. Sears Spectrum, Walmart Super Tech (in some places), Peak, and several parts store brands.

All of the above are known to be good oils. So any other WPP bottled oil should be equally as good.

To me it means it's 'not' PP or PYB or MC.

I sure it's fine for conservative OCI. I don't think I would take it out to 10K unless perhaps it's in a Honda.

I believe I get better stuff at lower prices. If that was 'not' true then I would be using it.

I've seen people do just fine on ST oil...dino or syn.

If the price drop I hear is true, even more people might buy it....

I've seen some evidence that suggests that Warren/Coastal products might not be up to par.

I'd spend the extra couple dollars per oil change for one of the majors. JMHO...

Warren, like most blenders, blends the oil the way the customer wants. Good, not great oil, for use by Wal-mart, etc.
A little better quality for Sears maybe.
House brand oil is likely blended to a price.
While they all 'meet or exceed MFG specs', you can't know how long they will stay at that level. Some marginal oils will degenerate to a krappe' level in a short order.
I don't know who does Honda oil, but it's pretty good stuff; but you pay for it too.
Quicksilver oil is great; it's blended by Gold Eagle though.
Sorry to be rambling, but any reputable blender will make oil the way you want it.

By definition, in order to achieve the SM rating, the oil must be good for extended intervals. The SM standards are so high there is very little difference from one brand to another, incl WPP products.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
By definition, in order to achieve the SM rating, the oil must be good for extended intervals. The SM standards are so high there is very little difference from one brand to another, incl WPP products.

I agree, IF...it meets the requirements(SM) it's got to perform like any other dino etc., or very very close to it.

Remember if the oil film keeps the parts seperated and the additive levels are enough to protect, a better base oil and additive package will not be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: glenncof
I don't think I would take it out to 10K unless perhaps it's in a Honda.

Can you explain???

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: glenncof
I don't think I would take it out to 10K unless perhaps it's in a Honda.

Can you explain???

Because it's a lower end/weaker oil(check UOA section)and Hondas are easy on oil.

Yeah, these "cheaper" oils are still great oils, they just don't last as long (TBN wise). But like mentioned, most of the Hondas are very easy on oil.
-
Where as Quaker State synthetic may go 6k or maybe 7k and be out of TBN, it may go 9k-10k in an easy on oil Honda.

MAG1 is Warren's own brand. According to the sku and part numbers, as well as MSDS and spec sheets, MAG1 and SuperTech lubricants are identical.

Originally Posted By: daman

Hondas are easy on oil.

Any supportable proof in that claim??

In a Honda ST or any weaker oil would probably do 10k sure,but put that oil in a more sophisticated engine like a v8 that makes more fuel dilution/emissions and deposits etc and i wouldn't do 1 more mile over 3k.

Originally Posted By: Norse
Originally Posted By: daman

Hondas are easy on oil.

Any supportable proof in that claim??

surf the UOA sections and compaire.

Quote:
Quote:
I agree, IF...it meets the requirements(SM) it's got to perform like any other dino etc., or very very close to it.

Keep in mind that the oils are not tested to see if they comply with the standards. The base oils have an interchange chart...a tank car of this, two tank cars of that equal three tank cars of something else...and the additive packages from the additive suppliers are certified. So what happens if the oil blender has careless or pressured workers, or if they run out of one ingredient and skip it or substitute something else? You have the situatuation of the Wal-Mart gear oil that was recalled for a reason like this.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1470524&fpart=1

Also, the additive suppliers offer lower cost additive packages...they will make compliant oil when used with the right base oil, but they'll live for a longer time. When GL-4 was first announced, ExxonMobil said that the bulk oil they supply to lube places had a shorter service life than their retail oil...MobilClean5000 or whatever it's called.

So, usually you get what you pay for. Yes, advertising is a cost that is added to the retail brands, but that is not the only cost. Better ingredients and better blending practices might also be in play.

I agree but there's a thing called quality control,you would think something is in place to make sure(testing ?) an oil is up to snuff if it's qualified as a certain spec(SM etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back