What's up with the tall, skinny vans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mercedes gets away with tall skinny vans because they have an advanced traction control which helps to prevent roll over. Without it they would roll over easily. I'm guessing these new models have a similar system. Ford still makes the E350/450 chassis' for the motorhome industry.

Ford Transit Connect

2014-ford-transit-connect-titanium-ecoboost-wagon-photo-489607-s-1280x782.jpg

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Ford discontinued the E-Series vans and replaced them with the Transit vans. The Transits have already existed for years in Europe; Ford just started bringing them here to the US as well. It's easier and cheaper for them to make just one model van and sell it around the world than to make two different models.

Ford considered bringing the Euroversion here but decided to go with a North American unique Transit model. The Transit is built in Kansas City, same plant as the F150. They built a second plant onsite just for stamping the Transit panels. Been at the Ford Kansas plant on tour twice, quite impressive each time.
I have several hundred Transits in my fleet today.
The 3.2L Ford Transit diesel gets better fuel economy that the V6 3.0L diesel Sprinter - same application of course.

Originally Posted By: Danno
The 3.2L Ford Transit diesel gets better fuel economy that the V6 3.0L diesel Sprinter - same application of course.

And from what I hear from fleet managers around my parts, Transit has much better uptime stats than Sprinter. FWIW

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: Danno

And from what I hear from fleet managers around my parts, Transit has much better uptime stats than Sprinter. FWIW

Agreed. I have several hundred diesel Sprinters as well.

One thing I'd love to know from some fleet operators... how's the 62TE transaxle in the Ram Promaster holding up? Especially in the 1-tonners. Probably fine- its an extremely mature design and hauls really piggy minivans all over the country, but its ancestry is... to put it delicately... well, there's no way to put it delicately when the A604 was involved. :p

I have an inexplicable and completely unreasonable dislike of the tall skinny vans. I clench my hands on the wheel just a little tighter every time I see one on the road.

Can you imagine the A-Team in one of those? No you cannot and for good reason. This country was built on short, fat vans and I for one say it's time to bring them back.

Go back to Europe to deliver cheese or national bailout money or whatnot.

(shakes fist)

A-Team-Van-3.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
In Europe they've had these running around for around 2 decades now. High fuel costs is the primary driver here.

Transits could be 50 years by now..

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Mercedes gets away with tall skinny vans because they have an advanced traction control which helps to prevent roll over. Without it they would roll over easily. I'm guessing these new models have a similar system. Ford still makes the E350/450 chassis' for the motorhome industry.

No they don't, or didn't... esp is more common now, but with the older ones you're lucky to get ABS... I've worked on vans like that, most didn't have abs or TC...

Cars need high hoods/ cowls to meet EU pedestrian safety regs. This brings in big fenders and wheels so they don't look out of proportion.

Vans, OTOH, put form before function. I for one welcome our skinny-tired satellite TV installers.
wink.gif

And I thought they were made by tall stick people --- for tall stick people... & the tires by Hobbits

Ram Promasters are Fiat Doblo's if anyone's wondering. I can't imagine a Chrysler dealership having to service Mercedes and Fiat platforms along with it's own platforms now.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
front drive makes a lot of sense for delivery vans. Much lower floor.

It is also an advantage for building an RV. The Winnebago Rialta was based on a front wheel drive VW van and it was a popular RV.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Ram Promasters are Fiat Doblo's if anyone's wondering. I can't imagine a Chrysler dealership having to service Mercedes and Fiat platforms along with it's own platforms now.

fiat Ducato....

this is a doblo:
fiat-doblo-2014-17.jpg

fiat Ducato....

this is a doblo:
fiat-doblo-2014-17.jpg

Which is a Promaster CITY

cargo-galleryesterni2big.jpg

Ram-ProMaster-City-passenger-cargo-van-trims.jpg

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

fiat Ducato....

this is a doblo:
fiat-doblo-2014-17.jpg

Which is a Promaster CITY

cargo-galleryesterni2big.jpg

Ram-ProMaster-City-passenger-cargo-van-trims.jpg

Looks like in order to be successful in the US, they have to uglify the European vans.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back