What's up with the Havoline group think/sheep herd mentality here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't argue with Havoline's bang for the buck. Havoline still has a terrible reputation around here for some reason! I would run it!

quote:

...to the point that this forum is drifting away from objective discussions

d_i_m_,

Well if you're going to demand objectivity...
wink.gif

Pablo, I know Mapquest can be funny. Don't waste your time at Walmart anyway. They have tons of Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline and Mobil1, not so much Havoline or Chevron, just empty spaces on the shelves. You can find Havoline on sale often at GI Joe's(they also sell Amsoil), but that's a little trip out to Issaquah.
IKEA is in Kent, a bit farther south than Renton...both are a pretty good trip, especially with traffic. There's a decent Asian "mall" nearby.

Perhaps it's not a herd mentality, but instead a bunch of happy customers? Chevron works great for me and produces great UOAs, so I post about it. does that make me a "sheep"? I don't think so.

You see lot's of "good" UOAs with any old oil because their are lots of engines that are good at producing them. It's when the product performs under bad conditions that really show what it's got.

-T

I don't know a lot about oil. For most of my driving life, I have used Havoline and Castrol GTX. My dad always used Pennzoil. His vehicles always seemed to smoke and use oil.
I had been using Castrol. My father-in-law has used nothing but Havoline for years. Like he said, you can find Havoline in a lot of places where you can't find others. Very important when traveling. Also, he has never had an oil related problem in his many years of using Havoline.
I have a new 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. My first oil change, I was away from home and bought Castrol. The one thing I noticed was that it seemed to stay clear longer. I thought that that was a good thing. I found this forum and someone stated, "If it ain't black, it ain't cleaning". My Father-in-Law echoed this sentiment as well. Made sense to me.
The bottom line for me was this: Havline is a good oil at a decent price. This I garnered from the members here based on UOA's and VOA's; not advertiser's hype.
Is Castrol bad oil? No. Is it worth the fifty to sixty cents more per quart I would pay for it at Wal-Mart? NO. At that price, I'm talking $2.50 to $3.00 more per oil change based on my vehicle's oil capacity.
Is Havoline the best oil ever made? Don't know. It will do the job I need it to do at an affordable price. Other oils may be as good, but you are paying a lot for the advertising? The way oil prices have jumped lately, I will keep as much of my money in my pocket as possible.
The other thing I was fortunate enough to learn here is the 3K OCI myth. I think my engine can handle going 4-5K without needing an oil change. I know a lot of people would say "Change every 3k until your warranty is up". I put about 20k per year on my vehicle. My warranty should be up in about another 18 months so I'm going to chance the 4-5k OCI.
Thanks to this forum, another thing I have learned is not to waste my money on expensive oil additives. I am currently using Auto-Rx but only due to the recommendation of those here whom I consider to be more informed and "oil educated".

It's snowing here in South Dakota. I just went for a drive. Had a chance to do some thinking. So here it is: What's wrong with Havoline?
If it's doing it's job at a good price, what's the beef? I don't think Havoline users are saying Havoline is the "only oil". Are there others that do a good job? What is the cost/benefit?
What is a good oil/bad oil? Either you believe the advertiser's hype, or you make a judgement based on UOA's.
A couple of things must be happening here:
First: Havoline user's are getting bad UOA's and lying about it.
Second: Havoline users are getting bad UOA's and swithcing brands.
Third: Havoline users are getting good UOA's.
Now me, I don't do UOA's. Can't afford to. So, I'll benefit from the results of those here who do.
Let's suppose the first scenario is true. These people are idiots and want to belive in "their oil" so much, they are going to ignore UOA's. Anybody willing to pay $30-$40 for a UOA cares more about their vehicle than this. If they were getting bad UOA's, they would be switching.
Scenario two: I haven't seen it posted here that anyone got a bad UOA and is switching from Havoline to another brand. Either they were already using another brand and are confident in it so they haven't tried Havoline. Or perhaps they haven't had bad UOA's.
Thirdly: Havoline is getting good UOA's. If this is the case, WHY AREN'T YOU USING HAVOLINE? Do other oils perform so much better than Havoline (based on UOA's) that it would make it a "no brainer" to use them? I have seen people post her that they like "this oil" or "that oil" but no where have I seen anyone post "This oil is soooo much better than Havoline". If it has been posted, sorry I missed it. If so, please tell me because I would like to get in on the good deals.
No disrespect intended, just some casual obervations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back