What's up with shipping costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize everything constantly goes up in price, but is it my imagination, or have shipping prices quadrupled over the last couple of years or what? I had to ship a football, not overnight, just regular ol' ground, and it cost me $25! A football can't weigh more than a pound, and is fairly small in size, so what gives? It shouldn't cost more than 5 or 6 bucks to ship a stinkin football...are shipping companies just gouging consumers, or did something happen in the not so distant past that's causing these insane prices?

For the last 3 years or so all the shipping we do here at work has a "fuel surcharge" that adds quite a bit to the cost. Some of the trucking companies add as much as 20%!

I tried to overnight a document on Monday and was go smacked by a charge of nearly $40. I was expecting $10.

Fill the football with helium before they weigh it.

Newegg has reasonable shipping. Some places charge 8 bucks to ship anything, even if they could just stick it in a padded envelope.

I mailed about 100 pages this week and just put it in a US priority mail container... $5.60 . You could probably put a football in one if you let the air out first.

Sometimes it costs more than a million dollars to get a football 50 yards.

Ba_dum__CHING_by_Draygone.gif

You got hosed.

USPS Priority flat rate LARGE box is only $17.45. Deflated you could fit it in a medium box for $12.35.

That's what's up with shipping costs. Did you just walk into a box-shop and pay for boxing and packaging too? Or overnighted it? $25 is insane. USPS will send you free boxes, even.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
You got hosed.

USPS Priority flat rate LARGE box is only $17.45. Deflated you could fit it in a medium box for $12.35.

That's what's up with shipping costs. Did you just walk into a box-shop and pay for boxing and packaging too? Or overnighted it? $25 is insane. USPS will send you free boxes, even.

No, I boxed it up myself, and no overnight...just regular UPS ground...

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Lol.....

I was going to order a $4 part for my motorcycle online the other day until I found out they were gonna charge me $12 to ship it, and this part is literally no bigger than a 50 cent piece...these places must be on dope!

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Maybe this is why the shipping companies think they're giving us a bargain...

I ordered a relay for a Ham radio project and the cost was $13.97. Weight was 3 oz.

The shipping cost was $12.42.

I sent them a note stating I would not be doing any more business with them until their shipping cost's were more inline with weight.

This is why you comparison shop. Some sites have slightly higher prices, but cheaper s/h. Otherwise for small orders, either wait until you need to buy more and get free shipping or try to find it locally.
Most any site will show you s/h fees before you place your order. Not usually a surprise.

grampi - look into USPS next time. I find them easier and cheaper now, whereas I used to ship FedEx/UPS ground years ago.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Amazon and other large volume shippers get huge discounts and the average Joe who ships a couple of packages a month pays top dollar.

Yep! My company uses UPS, and when I ship something I see what UPS normally charges, and then the negotiated cost. The negotiated cost is a fraction of the regular cost.

UPS also dings you big time if you ship to a residential address.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
grampi - look into USPS next time. I find them easier and cheaper now, whereas I used to ship FedEx/UPS ground years ago.

The problem with the USPS are the post offices that are run by idiots, like the one in the town where I live.

Here's an example for you... the postmaster in the town where I live makes the decision as to what day that the price of stamps goes up... and it isn't the day that it is announced that they go up.

If you protest, he'll tell you to go pound sand. If you take your protest on up the chain, he'll claim that you're full of it.

Looks like the US is catching up to Canada's 'drop your pants' shipping rates.

Buying and Amazon Prime membership is worth every cent as a yearly fee is like taking the band aid of quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back