What's up with Costco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how typical this is of Costco in the US but where I am in Canada, I can't figure out what on earth the oil buyers for Costco are doing. For the most part I find Costco does an excellent job of picking products for their good quality but limited selection approach. I spend more money than I care to admit at Costco in a year but never buy oil. Why? They keep the wrong grades at least for this region of Canada.

Current stock is 10w30 Formula Shell, 10w30 Castrol GTX, and 5w50 Castol Syntec. I can't remember the last time I put a 10w30 oil in my vehicles, and I know I never have, nor ever will use a 5w50. The price is good for Canada on the Syntec at $5.66 a liter, the same as the Walmart TECH2000, but 5w50??

Any thoughts as to what's up with Costco, at least in Canada? Walmart obviously is a US company as well, but at least they seem to have the required grades figured out. Don't think they even stock 5w50.

If it were my choice I would keep the low cost 10w30 Formula Shell to hit the bottom end market for the old school crowd, and switch the GTX to 5w30, and the Syntec to 5w30 or even 0w30 at least for the winter months.

Not too far removed from WalMart, who sells based on pricing arrangements and arm-twisting their suppliers rather than what's good for their customers.

Surely Costco's jobbers and buyers are aware that 5WXX and 0WXX are the oil of choice for all the cars out the last ten years. In the quantities they can buy and would sell (in the aforementioned grades), one would expect syn for $2.99, dino for .99 and Motorcraft for $3.99 for a 5 quart jug, wouldn't one?

one would... but in Canada, we cant get dirt cheap oil anywhere.

for the record, Ron, Costco in my area is stocking 5W-30 Syntec. they had the 5W-50 Syntec in the summer, but switched it over to 5W-30. and they also have 5W-30 GTX and FormulaShell, in addition to the 10W-30.

too bad they dont carry Mobil 1.

I'm very disappointed with my Costco as well. All they have is Formula Shell & Mobil1 in 5w30 & 10w30. Why no 5w20 after so many years?

Costco buys what's moving slow with each oil company they do business with. They do this with a large percentage of what's in that store.

Shell has very good UOAs here. Just consumes alot in my older vehicles. Yet the protection remains for 3-4K OCIs.

Costco here has carried Mobil 1 supersyn 5w/10w-30 along with Chevron Supreme 5w/10w-30 for many years. Seems reasonable for the local climate.

Pretty good selection here in Hawaii as long as you like Chevron and Mobil 1. Chevron dino 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40, and 20W-50 are available, as well as M1 SS 5W-30 and 10W-30. Not bad considering. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back