What’s up with Castrol Edge 0w-40?

Castrol 0w-40 used to be reasonable and available. Now even Walmart is charging $67 for a 5 qt jug? I don’t believe it’s because oil prices are high and it’s from Germany since other Castrol Edge oils are still reasonable.
So I am curious anyone knows what is going on with this?
Was going to be my favorite oil but guess I will be trying Pennzoil Euro this time especially since they have a rebate going.

Castrol 0w-40 used to be reasonable and available. Now even Walmart is charging $67 for a 5 qt jug? I don’t believe it’s because oil prices are high and it’s from Germany since other Castrol Edge oils are still reasonable.
So I am curious anyone knows what is going on with this?
Was going to be my favorite oil but guess I will be trying Pennzoil Euro this time especially since they have a rebate going.
Which one of your vehicles requires this oil?

The May 2022 thread has been closed and should not have been. There was some issues last year in getting Castrol 0w40 but I was able to pick up three jugs at about $25 then. Jumping to a price of $67 is different. Walmart doesn’t do a price gouging. That is Castrol jumping up it’s price.
I can get the jugs now but the prices have doubled for just the 0w40.

The May 2022 thread has been closed and should not have been. There was some issues last year in getting Castrol 0w40 but I was able to pick up three jugs at about $25 then. Jumping to a price of $67 is different. Walmart doesn’t do a price gouging. That is Castrol jumping up it’s price.
I can get the jugs now but the prices have doubled for just the 0w40.
There are several oils that carry the same approvals as the Castrol product such as Mobil 1 also available at Walmart. I don’t understand why people don’t use one of those rather than making these threads complaining about a specific brand. Yes there are supply disruptions in many places. No, Castrol is not “gouging” people.

It's Up, that's what's up. Substitute for Mobil 1. It's better anyway. Or Pennzoil, or Valvoline.

Is that the price on the shelf when you looked at it in the store ? It's a pricing error on the website.

This same thing was posted just a few days ago....
Not on the shelves here anymore. But can ship to store in Wasilla.
A pricing error would be a good explanation. Amazon just follows whatever Walmart sells it for.
Napa has it on hand for $55 with 20% off if you buy three jugs but still pricey.

To answer several questions at once.
It gets to -30 many night where i live and the Cadtrol 0w40
There are several oils that carry the same approvals as the Castrol product such as Mobil 1 also available at Walmart. I don’t understand why people don’t use one of those rather than making these threads complaining about a specific brand. Yes there are supply disruptions in many places. No, Castrol is not “gouging” people.
Just wondering.
I don’t believe they would gouge either.
It is possible that Walmart has a pricing error which happens often. Amazon sales will adjust their prices to match Walmart. Auto stores are always more expensive and are slightly cheaper than Walmart so again, probably a Walmart pricing error.
Not complaining, just asking. Instead of shutting down the conversation, we may have a reasonable answer to the question.

Castrol 0w40 has been fantastic for both my vehicles. 0w is a must since both vehicles are outside and ofter get down to -30f. Castrol 0w40 starts immediately at that temp. My van has yet to eat any oil after nearly a year and over 10,000 miles and the oil looks good yet. Once a year change for me.
My reasons are my own.
I am willing to try pennzoil 0w40 to see if i get the same results. Probably will.
But it is weird for a price jump that high for Walmart when the rest if Castrol didn’t spike like that.
It was a good question to ask.

Castrol 0w40 has been fantastic for both my vehicles. 0w is a must since both vehicles are outside and ofter get down to -30f. Castrol 0w40 starts immediately at that temp. My van has yet to eat any oil after nearly a year and over 10,000 miles and the oil looks good yet. Once a year change for me.
My reasons are my own.
I am willing to try pennzoil 0w40 to see if i get the same results. Probably will.
But it is weird for a price jump that high for Walmart when the rest if Castrol didn’t spike like that.
It was a good question to ask.
I'm sure it's a pricing error. My truck has piston slap on cold mornings (I know ,it doesn't get cold in Florida but, it will get down in the 30's a few days each year) Regardless , Castrol Edge is the one that makes my truck the quietest on those cool mornings. There might be something to that titanium with a shot of moly.
I've had good luck ordering oil on the walmart app.

I'm sure it's a pricing error. My truck has piston slap on cold mornings (I know ,it doesn't get cold in Florida but, it will get down in the 30's a few days each year) Regardless , Castrol Edge is the one that makes my truck the quietest on those cool mornings. There might be something to that titanium with a shot of moly.
I've had good luck ordering oil on the walmart app.
How would Moly or Ti correct a mechanical problem that involves too much space between the piston and cylinder wall?

Back