What's the point of eliminating straight dino and replacing it with a blend?

I'm convinced this is nothing but an excuse to raise prices. I've been buying my oil at Walmart for years, their Super Tech dino to be exact. Over the last year, I've watched the price of their dino go from $2.37 a qt, to today's price of $5.35 a qt, which is more than double of what it used to be. They no longer offer any conventional oil, it's now either a blend, or a full syn. I have no way of knowing how much of this price increase is due to the switch over, or how much is just inflation, but whatever it is, I refuse to pay that much for a non-full syn store brand oil. I went over the Rural King and found that they still sell a straight conventional oil for just $2.99 a qt, so I bought that.

I'm convinced this is nothing but an excuse to raise prices. I've been buying my oil at Walmart for years, their Super Tech dino to be exact. Over the last year, I've watched the price of their dino go from $2.37 a qt, to today's price of $5.35 a qt, which is more than double of what it used to be. They no longer offer any conventional oil, it's now either a blend, or a full syn. I have no way of knowing how much of this price increase is due to the switch over, or how much is just inflation, but whatever it is, I refuse to pay that much for a non-full syn store brand oil. I went over the Rural King and found that they still sell a straight conventional oil for just $2.99 a qt, so I bought that.
Because plain conventional can't meet the performance requirements, that's why.

And look closely at that "straight conventional oil" from Rural King. It might meet only SA or SB, which effectively means it doesn't meet any specs. We've had discussions here before on non-detergent straight-30 still being sold as motor oil, which hurts those who don't know the difference when they use it in anything built after 1950.

How many times in a 12 month period do you change oil?

And look closely at that "straight conventional oil" from Rural King. It might meet only SA or SB, which effectively means it doesn't meet any specs. We've had discussions here before on non-detergent straight-30 still being sold as motor oil, which hurts those who don't know the difference when they use it in anything built after 1950.
Even SA isn't suitable for almost anything, it's pretty much straight base oil, it may have antifoaming additives although I don't know if that's even a requirement for SA, but it's pretty much useless for everything except maybe air compressors.

Really, there are alot of issues that have been going on 4 awhile, when what has been happening 4 awhile you either stock up on oil or you just pay the price, and not complain.

Even SA isn't suitable for almost anything, it's pretty much straight base oil, it may have antifoaming additives although I don't know if that's even a requirement for SA, but it's pretty much useless for everything except maybe air compressors.
See here! What you’re failing to understand is everything and everyone should stop and remain the same once an individual has peaked… Nothing will ever be better than during the good old, glory days and the world should regress.

Technology, inflation, global economic crisis - pish posh! Gimmme that straight 30 and tank of leaded for a Buffalo Nickel.

Even SN "dino" was mostly a syn blend. Of course, SP will have some group III in it too.

Modern oil standards have gotten so stringent that dino can't keep up. :poop:

Sales and rebates often bring synthetic prices in line with the blends.

Wasn't SN the rating that crossed the dino line into a blend via the requirement of Group III to meet the spec? Apologies in advance if I have that wrong.

Wasn't SN the rating that crossed the dino line into a blend via the requirement of Group III to meet the spec? Apologies in advance if I have that wrong.
Ehhh, no, but we end up in a weird spot because we end up talking about hydrocracked Group II(+) and is that synthetic, because it's hydrocracked (just like Group III) or is it not, because its VI isn't high enough to make it Group III?

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 1.20.20 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 1.21.33 PM.jpg

And SN+ was when you started seeing conventional oils add the word blend to the bottle even though they had more than likely already been a blend for a while. At least I remember VWB doing this.

And SN+ was when you started seeing conventional oils add the word blend to the bottle even though they had more than likely already been a blend for a while. At least I remember VWB doing this.
SN Plus really only introduced LSPI requirements, not much else, if anything, changed. Some grades were definitely still able to be developed without Group III.

SN Plus really only introduced LSPI requirements, not much else, if anything, changed. Some grades were definitely still able to be developed without Group III.
When you say some grades developed without Group lll do you mean grades outside the GF-6 fuel-efficiency grades? I thought it was these grades that were forcing conventional oils to be better.

Anyway not sure I understand it all that well but this is a page I have bookmarked I refer to sometimes.

When you say some grades developed without Group lll do you mean grades outside the GF-6 fuel-efficiency grades? I thought it was these grades that were forcing conventional oils to be better.

Anyway not sure I understand it all that well but this is a page I have bookmarked I refer to sometimes.

GF-5 was what corresponded with SN/SN Plus. I provided an example above of a 5w-30 from XOM blended with Group II+ and no Group III.

Back