What's the flow rate like on rear calipers with motive pressure bleeder?

Sounds about normal based on my experiences. I usually use the Motive pressure bleeder and put the mityvac on the brake bleeder.

I've seen circumstances of collapsed hoses slowing things right down. I have a mityvac, and I pull maybe 25" of mercury, oh about 12 - 13 psi, effectively, and I normally get a pretty raucous flow happening.

Its not rapid by any means. I have used mine on a bunch of vehicles from F150s to my Mustang. Its pretty efficient but not fast. I actually really like using the motiv power bleeder, gives excellent results.

On both the Outback and the E350, I get about 8 ounces in about 2-3 minutes. I've never actually timed it, but that is what it feels like. Slow enough that I find other things to do while the fluid is bleeding, but not slow enough that I want to get too distracted. I also target between 12-15 psi.

I've read here that some vehicles you need a device to activate the ABS to flush the fluid.
Maybe the ABS is slowing down your flow.
If that's the case, consider yourself lucky that you can at least DIY.

I've read here that some vehicles you need a device to activate the ABS to flush the fluid.
Maybe the ABS is slowing down your flow.
If that's the case, consider yourself lucky that you can at least DIY.
Typically the activation of the ABS system is not required when flushing the brake fluid. The brake fluid in the ABS system is in a pristine environment unless the ABS system has an issue.

Typically the activation of the ABS system is not required when flushing the brake fluid.
On my Infiniti (Nissan), the FSM says to disconnect the ABS module's electrical connection when bleeding the brakes. I suspect the ABS system is something like a Bosch or some vendor vs an in-house Nissan so this procedure probably applies to many vehicles too.

I have tried using my Motive pressure bleeder several times on a 2003 Honda Element and 2001 Honda Accord with no success. It will seal and pressurize up to 15 psi, but barely dribbles out a teaspoon of brake fluid out the bleeder valve in a minute. It is quicker to gravity bleed it or have a helper press on the brake pedal while I open the bleeder screw. Is there something I am missing on these Hondas? Both have ABS brakes and it almost seems like the modulating valve is not allowing fluid to flow. Do Hondas need a bi-directional scanner to cycle the ABS valve open when flushing? Others on the Honda forums indicate they had success using the Motive bleeder. TIA for any advice.

I have tried using my Motive pressure bleeder several times on a 2003 Honda Element and 2001 Honda Accord with no success. It will seal and pressurize up to 15 psi, but barely dribbles out a teaspoon of brake fluid out the bleeder valve in a minute. It is quicker to gravity bleed it or have a helper press on the brake pedal while I open the bleeder screw. Is there something I am missing on these Hondas? Both have ABS brakes and it almost seems like the modulating valve is not allowing fluid to flow. Do Hondas need a bi-directional scanner to cycle the ABS valve open when flushing? Others on the Honda forums indicate they had success using the Motive bleeder. TIA for any advice.
I'd be interested in an answer to this too. Everybody talks about how great these things are, but nobody seems to have a clue when it doesn't work the way you want.

By the way, I discovered a hole in my brake hose which might explain why bleeding was so poor. I've been outta commission lately, so I haven't been able to see if it'll bleed any better with the tool.

BMW’s per manufacturer procedure should be bled using ABS pump (activated by INPA software). I do sometimes that and sometimes I use pressure bleeder. So, I wouldn’t think reason for slower rate is that.

I'm surprised that pressure bleeding is that slow. Seems like it's about the same speed as vacuum bleeding. It's a little harder to get the right seal on the bleeders with vacuum bleeding (needs grease) but IMO using a vacuum decreases the chances of getting contaminants in the reservoir.

Back