What's the efficiency of TP element filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, what's the efficiency of tp element bypass filters? Take the Frantz for example.

I just watched the FS2500 video. Is it just me, or does it look like they are using a "tp-like" type of system as well? Also, Amsoil says their EaBP filters are good for down to 2 microns at 98.7% efficiency. That's not too far off from FS2500 claims. So Amsoil should be doing just as good a job right?

Good question. There's no published data that I'm aware of as to the efficiency of tp. I doubt that there is any filtration standard for manufacturing the stuff. I'm sure that it's very high. From PC tests, tp does a much better job than just your standard full flow. I tend to think that it's better than most other systems, but is typically shorter in lifespan.

The TP filters are all rated at 1/10th micron. Some diesel soot is even smaller than that. Watch out for claims such as down to and as small as. To be of much value against soot you need to filter well below one micron. There are several submicronic filters available. These are normally TP hidden in socks or cartridges. The advantage of TP is it is high quality and not expensive. Finding a quality paper isn't too hard. I use Scott 1000 sheet and unroll 40 rounds to make it fit. I am very inventive and have found a use for the extra TP that I remove.
smile.gif
I sometimes order the Scott Kimberly Clark from Office Depot and unroll 10 rounds. It is handier to get the Scott 1000 sheets from the grocery store.
approved.gif

Thanks for the info guys! Well I have an Amsoil and a Frantz filter. Trying to find the best way to hook them up.

Hmm...do you intend to use both of them on the engine? If so, then plumb the Amsoil in line with the Frantz with the Frantz being downstream. The tp should polish the finer particles out ..while the Amsoil unit would remove down to an extremely low level. I would think that the tp filter would last longer with only having to deal with >3um particles
dunno.gif

Yea I ended up getting a Frantz as well. A fellow member offered to sell me his old one so I decided to get it. At first I was concerned about the frequent oil changes but now I realize it's not a big deal. I don't put that many miles a day on the truck.

That setup is what I was thinking too Gary.

One added bonus is you get to show us what the EaBp misses ..as well as telling how long a tp filter can last with something like a EaBP in front of it.

Hey guys, for the Frantz filter, should I put the restrictor orifice on the inlet or outlet port of the canister? I always thought the outlet, but I think Frantz says to put it on the inlet?

Most have it on the outlet, but it really doesn't matter if it's big enough not to get clogged with a stray large particle. You cannot have that happen. I think that the Frantz/MG restrictors are .060+/- ..unlike the .030 on the BP80A (which is on the outlet).

I have it on the inlet of the filter base. That is how it showed up when I purchased it. I purchased it directly from wefilterit.com. I would rather have the canister under less rather than more pressure.

That's one advantage. Eventually, you'll get a pressure build up in the unit ..at least on the one end ..but you won't have the entire unit under pressure.

Quote:

I have it on the inlet of the filter base. That is how it showed up when I purchased it. I purchased it directly from wefilterit.com. I would rather have the canister under less rather than more pressure.

Yeah, that's exactly why I decided to put it on the inlet port. I didn't want the canister to start leaking...

Quote:

Most have it on the outlet, but it really doesn't matter if it's big enough not to get clogged with a stray large particle. You cannot have that happen. I think that the Frantz/MG restrictors are .060+/- ..unlike the .030 on the BP80A (which is on the outlet).

By all means, put the restrictor on the INPUT side of the bypass, so the filter canister is NOT exposed to the full engine oil PSI from the oil pump!
shocked.gif

Otherwise, great potential for oil leaks if a gasket or seal develops problems...

I put mine right at the fitting the filter oil supply hose attaches to...

This action will not prevent pressurization of the canister. It will only delay it. What do you think happens when then roll starts to get saturated? Just because the stuff coming out is a trickle ...don't think that the full oil pressure isn't attempting to push that roll out the end of the canister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back