What's the diff in the Amsoil oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a regular Amsoil user... but, what are the differences in their regular synthetic (what I use), and the Series 2k, Series 3k, the High Performance, and the XL 7500? They're not all extended drain, correct?

Wow another local. Right down the road!

In a nutshell:

The Series 2K's have a higher ester base. While in theory and on the lab bench, esters are a more robust group of organic chemicals, than say PAO or the mixed aliphatic hydrocarbons that fall in Group I, II and even III, The S2K 0W-30 in real motor oil use suffers from some of the same issues as Redline (overpriced for the miles/time used). Advertised to go 35K miles OR 1 year. Not many folks go 35K in one year. The oil can go 35K highway miles IF conditions are perfect.
The S2K also has greases, etc. The best product in this Series is the S2K 20W-50. This is a killer oil, worth the money, and is not recommended for 35K

S3K, ditto but a more robust TBN, etc diesel oil.

XL is indeed a robust group III oil. It is not simply a relabel. It is recommended for 7.5K max OCI's. But yes it is API certified.

Remember extended OCI's are very particular to the oil, the car, the driving habits, etc. Oil analysis is a powerful tool and I do not recommend extended OCI's without analysis.

>>>The XL 7500 is Re-labeled Petro Canada Duron group III and as a result has certified warranty applications.
Or so I've been told.

You've been told wrong! AMSOIL blends all their oils at the Superior WI plant.

The motorcycle oils are exactly the same as the standard AMSOIL 10W-40 and 20W-50 oils.

The Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is a Series 3000, not 2000.

Soooo... In my stock vehicles (97 5.4l Ford Exped, and 2000 Volvo S80 2.9l). Is there any reason to spend the extra $3/qt for these oils? The S2k, S3k?

I have been running the Amsoil 5W-30 ASL in several cars, including my Vette, with excellent results. Very happy with the oil, and consumption is drastically reduced as compared to M1. Will be doing another UOA on the Vette in a month or so and will do the first change on the BMW I just bought with this same oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Tommyboy:
Soooo... In my stock vehicles (97 5.4l Ford Exped, and 2000 Volvo S80 2.9l). Is there any reason to spend the extra $3/qt for these oils? The S2k, S3k?

IMHO, no.

I think that the regular Amsoil will suit your needs and then some. While the S2k line is advertised as a better oil, it has yet to prove itself against the traditional Amsoil line in the UOA's posted here. I haven't seen any S3k UOA's, but this sounds like it may be a very good oil - only time will tell.

quote:

Originally posted by user-friendly:
The XL 7500 is Re-labeled Petro Canada Duron group III and as a result has certified warranty applications.
Or so I've been told.

NOT TRUE, Amsoil do not repackage other products under thier brand names nor to they sell to any other company who does. The only product that is partly manufactured by an outside source is the oil filters, made by Baldwin/Hastings to Amsoi Specs.

I only mention the oil filter info because I was sure someone would certainly bring it up.

[ October 22, 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I think for Amsoil-huggers, ASL is hard to beat in terms of price/value and better than the S2K oils, but each their own.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

Originally posted by Tommyboy:

IMHO, no.

I think that the regular Amsoil will suit your needs and then some. While the S2k line is advertised as a better oil, it has yet to prove itself against the traditional Amsoil line in the UOA's posted here. I haven't seen any S3k UOA's, but this sounds like it may be a very good oil - only time will tell.

i'm not even sure what kind of amsoil i put in my car, it didn't say 2000 or asl or 7500 it just said high performance oil, it was 5w-30.

Also, on the back it said good for intervals of 25k or 6 months.
anyone have any idea what kind it was

quote:

Originally posted by trey:
i'm not even sure what kind of amsoil i put in my car, it didn't say 2000 or asl or 7500 it just said high performance oil, it was 5w-30.

Also, on the back it said good for intervals of 25k or 6 months.
anyone have any idea what kind it was

This sounds like the ASL 5w30. If it were the XL 7500 it would've said 7500 miles or 6 months.

If you look at it again, it says 25k or 12months actually. Then the filters are meant to be changed at 12.5k or 6mos when used with that oil.

The best Amsoil formulation for long drain intervals in the 15k-25k range is their Series 3000, 5w-30, gas/diesel engine oil. I like it more than the 0w-30 for several reasons:

1) It uses a thicker, more shear stable basestock
2) It will reduce oil consumption, compared to the 0w-30
3) It thickens less due to oxidation/nitration over long drain intervals - I've run it out to 21k miles with very low wear rates.
4) It has even better detergency than the Series 2000.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The best Amsoil formulation for long drain intervals in the 15k-25k range is their Series 3000, 5w-30, gas/diesel engine oil. I like it more than the 0w-30 for several reasons:

1) It uses a thicker, more shear stable basestock
2) It will reduce oil consumption, compared to the 0w-30
3) It thickens less due to oxidation/nitration over long drain intervals - I've run it out to 21k miles with very low wear rates.
4) It has even better detergency than the Series 2000.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Tooslick, then why do you think they even market the Series 2000 0w30? How much mpg saving would there be between the 0w30&5w30HDD? I'd say less than 5%.

Anyhow, on occasion you recommend the 0w30, which is what I use in both of my vehicles. The F150 and the TDI. I'll be interested in the analysis on the TDI, if it's not so good, I'll proabably change both the truck and TDI to the Series 3000.

BTW on a Teleconference with Al Amatuzio, his favorite oil is also the Series 3000 5w30 hdd, he uses it in his Suburban.

Amsoil 5w-30 S3k from what I've seen is an awesome oil. I think for extended drains it is their best oil. If Al's using it, it must be.

Mike,

Strictly a matter of perception ...people won't buy a " HD diesel oil" for use in gas engines and vice versa....However, the Series 3000 meets the energy conserving requirements of GF-3 and it meets ACEA A3/B3.

The key to maintaining excellent fuel efficiency over extended drains is to minimize thickening from fuel contamination, moisture and oxidation. It's not the amount of boron or moly you use in the formulation.

FWIW, I also think that Delvac 1, 5w-40 is their best gas engine oil. Ask George Morrison at AVLube how many ExxonMobil engineers run it in their gas engines ...
wink.gif

Mike,

I should qualify my remarks ....

I've seen excellent results with the Series 2000, 0w-30 in German engines - particularly the VW/Audi turbos - SAAB turbos and most Japanese OHC and DOHC engines. I have NOT seen results that meet my standards in most GM pushrod, V-6 and V-8 engines, in terms of drain intervals. Most of the GM engines seem to contaminate the oil very quickly, so I'd use the regular 5w-30 or 10w-30 with shorter drain intervals of perhaps 10,000 miles in those. I also believe the Series 3000 will hold up better than the Series 2000, 0w-30 in some of these GM engines that show lots of oil contamination. I don't like to blame engine manufacturers, but most GM engines aren't good candidates for extended drains, IMNSHO. I'd love to hear from one of their engine design engineers, if they happen to be lurking.
wink.gif

The exception is the 3.8L, V-6 where the Series 2000 performs very well. I have a coworker that has been running 25k change intervals for years in Buick Regal and Park Avenue vehicles with the 0w-30 and he's had excellent performance.

I've seen good analysis reports on most Ford engines, including the Triton Series. I haven't done enough oil analysis testing in most Chrysler engines to make any conclusions about the data. I do really like the 0w-30 in the old 4.0L, straight six engine in the Jeep. I have had reports of gains in fuel efficiency of up to 10% in that specific engine, under short trip driving conditions.

If you have any other questions, please call me some evening!

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back