What's the best way to remove tree sap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pine tree along my driveway, and there is sap on the car that is dried on. What is the best way to get this off? I tried cleaning, Mineral Spirits, and Simple Green with little to no luck?

Thanks,
Frank D

Turpentine works well. It's made from pine sap so mixes right back into it.

I've also heard that denatured alcohol works pretty good.

the best advice is to get it off ASAP... ASAP ASAP ASAP ASAP ASAP... PLEASE ASAP.

I have three spots on the front of my BMW and two on my truck where sap dripped in the middle of the summer when I was on vacation. the cars were more or less in direct sunlight, and it dried and baked on.

When I tried to fix it when I returned, nothing, bug and tar remover, clay bar, cleaner wax, alcohol, peanut butter, armor all, washing with various soaps, etc. could get it off. On the truck its a nearly flat ring now... on the BMW, its actually a bump that Ive never ben able to get off - professionals havent either.

I didnt think of turpentine... how bad would thqt effect the actual paint on the vehicle???

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

I didnt think of turpentine... how bad would thqt effect the actual paint on the vehicle???

JMH

Should be OK, a lot of pros recommend it. I have never had a problem with it. Not even back in the olden days when paint was more fragile.

It will also strip any hint of wax off the car along with the sap.

Edit: Like anything else you rub on a multi thousand dollar to replace paint job, observe carefully for signs of dulling or softening of the finish as you work.

[ July 16, 2006, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

Kerosene or diesel fuel work great for cleaning pine pitch off our shearing knives. I don't know how clear coat safe it is though. Test on a door jamb to see if paint softening occurs.

Thanks guys, this is baked on real good! I tried Solvent Alcohol on a test spot and it dulls the paint (black), and waxing it leaves a halo in the area.

Mineral Spirits did nothing, I will have to try Turps.

Would WD 40 be worth trying, it contains Kerosene?

Thanks
Frank D

quote:

Originally posted by demarpaint:
Thanks guys, this is baked on real good! I tried Solvent Alcohol on a test spot and it dulls the paint (black), and waxing it leaves a halo in the area.

Mineral Spirits did nothing, I will have to try Turps.

Would WD 40 be worth trying, it contains Kerosene?

Thanks
Frank D

I believe WD40's primary ingredient is Stodard solvent. If mineral spirits didn't do it, WD-40 prolly won't either. Both are high on stodard content.

Rubbing Alcohol, try a small spot first, it will leave a powdery residue, so what I do is clay is clay after that then I wax, the residue goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back