whats the best pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change the rear end fluid in my truck, but I don't want the hasle of removing the diff cover, and there is no drain plug. Was wondering what you guys would use for a pump.

P.S. For those wondering I'm gonna use Mobil 1 75w-140 and most likely the ford limited slip additive.

For rear ends I always used a plain old suction gun- looks like a grease gun minus the handle. Though until a few weeks ago I haven't needed to do this since ~1997!
blush.gif
Their use is somewhat limited(mine proved useless on the auto trans on the Dakota), & you'll have to make several successful full tube "withdrawals" to almost-empty the diff on your pickup.(that's as good as you're gonna get with any suction device, unless you're talking about a Mercedes oil pan!
grin2.gif
). No idea what one costs now, shouldn't be too expensive. You might be able to borrow one.

Or you might be interested in applying that ca$h toward something much more versatile. Buy some extra tubing at the hardware store & should be able to siphon/drain/suck dry just about anything on any vehicle, capacity almost 2 gallons. I ordered this over the weekend, should arrive tomorrow: http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B000JFJM14/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes hassles are worth it. I wouldn't use a pump because you'll leave so much oil and gunk behind. If you are inquiring regarding the Ford in your sig, they have a magnet glued to the inside of the cover and if this is the first change, and if your '07 is anything like my '05, it will be a forest of wear metals that you should clean out. The first change will be the worst. After that a suction gun flies better, because there will be a lot less metal good (but still....)

If you want make it easier for next time, I suggest installing a gasket, or an aluminum cover with a drain, or weld in a bun and drain into the cover. or drill and tap the bottom of the housing for a drain plug. (all of which I have done at various times to various axles with success). I really want to strongly point out, especially for the first change, IMO, the suction gun idea is false economy.

I would recommend removeing the cover. Try to find a gasket for the diff cover before you remove the cover. Napa should be able to get you one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back