What's the best oil for my use case?

Its a good oil but I agree. Maybe due to oil prices averaging above $100 in the last couple months.
It has nothing to do with that. It's the inflation-mania that many companies are partaking in. I'm sorry to have to be the one who tells Castrol this: no one will pay $40 for a jug of Edge 0W-40 when M1 FS 0W-40 is $24 and change. Neither will people line up to buy EDGE Gold Bottle for $30+ dollars, which is made of 100% Group III base oil. I wish Castrol the best of luck, because they gonna need it.

It has nothing to do with that. It's the inflation-mania that many companies are partaking in. I'm sorry to have to be the one who tells Castrol this: no one will pay $40 for a jug of Edge 0W-40 when M1 FS 0W-40 is $24 and change. Neither will people line up to buy EDGE Gold Bottle for $30+ dollars, which is made of 100% Group III base oil. I wish Castrol the best of luck, because they gonna need it.
I've just recently changed my Yukon's oil. Last change, I tried Mobil 1 Fs 0w40 which was good but it seems to be cheaper in the U.S. than anywhere else. Where I live, it is $13 a quart which is expensive. Now I am trying the Castrol Edge 5w30 (black bottle) which so far seems good and it was a $11 a quart which is just a bit cheaper than M1.

Gobbledygook. Inflation starts with the base materials and the production of them. Everything is going up.

People will line up to buy whatever oil they choose even at $30 plus. We on BITOG are a tiny fraction of the consumer base. A sensible consumer looks at the certifications on a oil and doesn’t care about the base oil composition. If it is made by a known company then they will trust it.

Gobbledygook. Inflation starts with the base materials and the production of them. Everything is going up.
While I don't disagree, consider that many along the supply chain including the final retailer are abusing the situation. Your stock doesn't change, but you hike the price anyway. It only goes up, and never comes down.

People will line up to buy whatever oil they choose even at $30 plus. We on BITOG are a tiny fraction of the consumer base. A sensible consumer looks at the certifications on a oil and doesn’t care about the base oil composition. If it is made by a known company then they will trust it.
Spending five minutes when there are people hanging around the motor oil aisle and just watching is quite amusing. Seeing how they beat themselves up and throw out brand loyalty for a $2 to $3 price difference is something to behold. Specs? What specs? Every person that I ever saw who purchased oil for a European vehicle knew exactly what they wanted, picked up the jug, and moved on. The rest though are hilarious. They will pick the least expensive and prettiest jug. I'm starting to think that SuperTech jugs are made on purpose to look cheap, to make you feel guilty that you saved money. Or did you?

While I don't disagree, consider that many along the supply chain including the final retailer are abusing the situation. Your stock doesn't change, but you hike the price anyway. It only goes up, and never comes down.
Define abuse. If I sell widgets and the supply of those widgets is drying up, and I have to pay more for them, how is it "abuse" if the price I sell those widgets at reflects those realities? Businesses have to make a profit or they go under which is catastrophic for everyone if that happens to large enough numbers of them.

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 - now it's $40. Three hours later, it's $60. That's abuse.
No, that's probably just managing supply and demand. If I'm a retailer and I'm overloaded on one brand of product and I want to move it out, I temporarily raise the price on other like products. The same if I'm short on supply for one product and I don't want to be sold out and have empty spaces on the shelf.

No, that's probably just managing supply and demand. If I'm a retailer and I'm overloaded on one brand of product and I want to move it out, I temporarily raise the price on other like products. The same if I'm short on supply for one product and I don't want to be sold out and have empty spaces on the shelf.
And how is that not abuse? Raising pricing in a sensible manner is one thing. Abusing your customers when you're in a position to do so is another.

Why not chevron 5w30?
Its a robust blend that seems to do great.
Plus it is has latest specs and is $15 for 5 qts notmally.
The way things are now, your proposal is perfectly acceptable. If it does the job, why not? Feed the kids, provide a roof, have some transportation. Rough times ahead.

But the real question is if you've been changing your cvt fluid every 50k or sooner. Also supertech advanced full syn is only $19.98 for a limited time. I already bought 6 jugs on sunday to do the first diy change on my 21 soon. I'll Probably use them for two olm resets as it would be about 8-9k.
I bought my Pathfinder with 87K from the Nissan dealership I was working at at the time, the previous owners traded it in because the CVT grenaded so it has a brand new CVT in it. I'm planning on doing the first fluid change once the new CVT has 30K on it then every 50K thereafter. Currently at 102K so I still have a bit until I have to worry about that.

I bought my Pathfinder with 87K from the Nissan dealership I was working at at the time, the previous owners traded it in because the CVT grenaded so it has a brand new CVT in it. I'm planning on doing the first fluid change once the new CVT has 30K on it then every 50K thereafter. Currently at 102K so I still have a bit until I have to worry about that.
It'd be a good idea to change it every 30K. CVTs tend to shear transmission fluid much worse than a step-shift transmission. That's why they ultimately fail. 50K is the change interval for a step-shift transmission, and even that's stretching it. Some step-shift transmission like our 6 speed in the Santa Fe destroys ATF. That's because it's really meant for a four-cylinder engine, but it's bolted onto a V6. So I'll change it every 30K now.

It'd be a good idea to change it every 30K. CVTs tend to shear transmission fluid much worse than a step-shift transmission. That's why they ultimately fail. 50K is the change interval for a step-shift transmission, and even that's stretching it. Some step-shift transmission like our 6 speed in the Santa Fe destroys ATF. That's because it's really meant for a four-cylinder engine, but it's bolted onto a V6. So I'll change it every 30K now.
As an ex-Nissan tech seeing some of the things I saw, I was half-planning on doing it every 30K anyways. Probably going to stick to that now.

Back