What's the best dino for the new DI Ecotec 2.4l ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a GMC Terrain thinking of using castrol gtx I will prob switch to a synthetic after 15k miles. Any suggetions would be appreciated! THX!

Well, I would certainly use one of the dino oils held in high reguard here at BITOG...GTX is fine! And stay with the MFG recomendation for oil grade and time/mileage for warranty purpose. Those DI engines are an unknown to me as-far-as, how much they beat up the oil but there are others here who can help.

Originally Posted By: jaybone
I have a GMC Terrain thinking of using castrol gtx I will prob switch to a synthetic after 15k miles. Any suggetions would be appreciated! THX!

I have a 2.0 DFI Ecotec.

My research on the topic indicated that a low NOACK among other things is important for DFI.
Low NOACK will help minimize Intake Valve Deposits in DFI engines it is reported.
So far there are loads of reports of Porsche and other DFI engines suffering with intake valve deposits.
I have to date heard no reports of GM DI engines suffering from intake valve deposits.
34.gif
thumbsup2.gif
28.gif

However I am taking no chances with my LNF Ecotec.
Anything certified to GM 4718M would be a good choice in my opinion. PP, Syntec, Mobil 1, Q Horsepower, Etc. in the proper weight for your application.

Some may say overkill, and I say too much protection is no vice!

Good luck Sir.

Rickey.

I have a 3.6 DI engine in our Traverse. I have tried Valvoline SynPower 5w30 and Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. The motor is noticeably louder with the PP. It ran butter smooth with the Valvoline Synpower. I have been reading up on some of the better dino oils and I may give GTX a try next oil change. I have read a few UOAs here and GTX is an extremely stout dino oil. Amsoil's own website has test results that shows it has the lowest NOAK of any of the other oils they put up against their Amsoil synthetic. Im either going to try GTX or switch back to SynPower.

I'd also choose something with low noack rating so there is less oil vapor and such to recirculate through the pcv system and leave deposits on the valves.. Since the gas is injected after the valves you cant clean them with any gas additives.

GREAT INFO THANKS!! castrol gtx i belive has a low noack rating .. hows kendall oil any good?

Originally Posted By: jaybone

jaybone,

If I were you I'd stay with using what the FF is. Mobil 5000 I believe will handle your needs until you want to make the switch to whatever brand of synthetic oil you like.

Durango

no need to really put off switching to synthetic unless you plan on doing a lot changes.

If it is truly a direct injection system then no dino is going to holdup to it!In fact even a lot of synthetics cannot take the abuse chemicaly! Redline or RLI or a solid diesel oil.

The two things often mentioned regarding Gasoline DI engines are fuel contaminating the oil and Intake Valve Deposits.

In my experience GM has their act together regarding these issues.

Not scientific but my nose detects no fuel contamination of the oil and the oil stays visually clean for at least 2K miles.
Mine is clean appearing now at over 2K.
The OLM on my Solstice appears to aim at an 8K OCI at times, and I just can't bring myself to go past 6K, this in deference to the car being tracked occasionally.

As for IVD's all I can say is the performance of my LNF Ecotec at almost 40K miles is as good as or better than new.
I routenely obtain 38 MPG on the interstate (when I behave
grin2.gif
)
And at Rockingham I have ran 13.21 at 104 MPH.
GM's DI technology rocks !

Many DI Porsche engines suffer performance loss from IVD at less than 10 K miles.
shocked2.gif

And other marque's with DI seem to have massive fuel dilatation problems with the engines oil.

What does the owners manual call for?
GM 6094M, 5W30,SM, GF-4 I'd wager.
I run a 4718M Spec 10W30 Summer and 5W30 winter in my Ecotec.
Usually whatever 4718M oil that is on sale.

I just don't see GM's DI as being as brutal on oil as their competition in the DI arena.
And this opinion comes from experience on my part.

Rickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back